Welcome to PatsFans.com

When "God" is the Government

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatsFanInVa, Jun 22, 2009.

1. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +716 / 11 / -7

Zakaria: 'Fatal wound' inflicted on Iranian regime's ideology - CNN.com

2. godef

godef In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

One careful step at a time. Silly fools who think Obama should barge in and be more forceful; didn't work in Iraq and it won't work now. This would only cause the Iranian "religious right" to hang on tighter. It has started, just let it play out now, even if it takes a few years. I still believe the fall of the USSR began with Nixon's trip to Russia.

3. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

the fall of the soviet union began in 1917

4. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +809 / 2 / -9

The hell with the middle east dump, let the UN handle them, they've been slaughtering each other since adam and eve, killing is a way of life for them.

OBAMA KILLED A FLY

5. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +716 / 11 / -7

Yeah, Godef, the shah's son actually spoke at the Nat'l Press Club today, and said to keep the hell out of it. His basic message was that the ruling regime would paper over all sins with an American boogeyman.

But being the shah's son, of course, he advised the US to be prepared to change tactics if the situation changes...

...and evidently did not realize that anything he recommends is the one thing worse than anything recommended from Washington.

6. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Interesting still is the fact that a divinity had declared the election, which today has claimed millions of voting irregularities (More votes counted than cast).

So....

does 'God' rig elections?

Supreme leader?.....you wanna stick by your statement?

7. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +716 / 11 / -7

Shades of 2000...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Like I dunnoooo, them elderly Jewish voters shore must luv their Pat Buchanan!

Or, for those who tout the "Coke/Pepsi" theory of the Democratic and Republican Parties...

[​IMG]

8. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +716 / 11 / -7

[​IMG]

And here it is, your moment of zen...

9. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,350 / 34 / -28

#87 Jersey

When are we going to revolt against Congress ... that's what I want to know. The deficit spending in this country will end when we rise up to vote all those pricks out.

10. State

State In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -8

#70 Jersey

Oops. Someone is going to need to sandblast that quotation from Leviticus from the Liberty Bell.

Independence National Historical Park - Liberty Bell Center (U.S. National Park Service)

And what about George Washington's Farewell Address written by Alexander Hamilton? That the twin props for republican government are morality and religion?

Europe is your guidepost, but she is quickly dying on the vine. How many children do you have, FN? I'm wondering, because the birth rate in most of Europe is far, far below replacement level.

11. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +716 / 11 / -7

None that I know of, HW, not that it's your business.

As to your evident belief that America is meant to be a theocracy, I suppose we'll have to get rid of the establishment clause in the first amendment. But hey, the Theocons had no trouble dispensing of so many other bits of the constitution and the bill of rights, what's one more lil clause?

You can read this and other of Jefferson's quotes on the subject here.
    Jefferson on Politics & Government: Freedom of Religion

There were quite a few opinions among this country's founders as regards religious freedom, but they all understood that it is a very, very dangerous thing to establish a religion, or even religion in general, as the business of the state.

America is a nation of secular laws and votes, not (yet) of inappropriately applied ancient theocratic rules.

Now then, if you're capable of conversation without calling me "fuzzy navel," I'll be glad to stop calling you "harvey wallbanger," and we can have a conversation of middling value, rather than the usual low bar we typically set hereabouts.

PFnV

12. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,350 / 34 / -28

#87 Jersey

Humans believe themselves to be intelligent yet we have people ruling countries and killing based on their version of god and/or religion. If humans are so smart then why the divergence of opinion? Could be religion is but a pimp for power.

13. alvinnf

alvinnf In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +14 / 1 / -0

How about tying your thought into this thread, when are we going to start taxing churches.

14. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,350 / 34 / -28

#87 Jersey

:woot: ...... :yeahthat:

15. alvinnf

Ratings:
    +14 / 1 / -0

I think for along time Republicans where afraid to scare off their contributors, but considering how badly they where outspent last election badly. Maybe it's time to tap into some voters by taxing jesus, just sayin.

16. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +716 / 11 / -7

"warning... you are approaching the third rail.. for your own safety please step back... warning... you are approaching the third rail..."

But seriously folks: It's one or the other. We either separate church and state, or we don't. Contrary to popular opinion, the churches are not taxed because they are supposed to be separate, and purely religious, institutions.

Recently we began opening government offices specifically to favor religious institutions' service projects over those of other institutions ("Office of faith based initiatives.") Our present administration says the funds must pass the test of other federal funds, that employment in these projects is color-blind, creed-blind, gender-blind, sexual-orientation-blind. He took all sorts of crap for that. But let him just TRY to close that office!

I trust in God plenty. He doesn't have to be on the quarter. George Washington is fine. Render unto Caesar, and all that.

PFnV

17. alvinnf

Ratings:
    +14 / 1 / -0

I am just tired of church born out of commerce not salvation. Not that I have either.

18. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +716 / 11 / -7

Maybe salvation is like commerce, and you're just bearish. That's good when there's a crash.

19. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,350 / 34 / -28

#87 Jersey

Somehow over time what constitutes a church has changed. I am not sure how we could possibly define a church but something should at least be attempted in that regard. I think all churches should at least pay some property taxes to their communities. If they have the freedom to believe as they wish then I should have the freedom of not supporting them with my tax dollars ... what's fair is fair ... the goose and the gander thing.

20. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +716 / 11 / -7

Maybe had it not been ruled the other way a couple hundred years ago, and we were starting from scratch, I'd agree 100%.

But the idea of untaxed churches was, gov. couldn't mess with churches, churches couldn't mess with govt.

Given the choice I'd just say "this over here is just being a church. When you do this over here, sorry, that's lobbying (or running a biz, or whatever.)"