PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

When FA starts, will somone make RFA BJGE an offer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
To place a value on the 2nd round pick, consider that in this past draft Shane Vereen and Mikel LeShoure were taken toward the end of the 2nd. They should expect to be paid at an annual rate around 60% of BJGE's tender level.

MFC's trade value back in 2009 was depressed a bit because whatever team drafted him had to pay him at least $14.6M guaranteed (he would be stupid to accept less), on top of whatever they traded for him.

I think the same thing will apply here: to get BJGE, they have to make an offer the Pats won't match PLUS throw in a second-rounder in 2012. That seems rather unlikely unless a team is desperate for him.

Normally an RFA is free to negotiate with any other team (up to a certain date - usually some time in June - and who knows how limited that may be this time around...7 days or less?).

Mo: for RFA tenders in past years, the deadline was about a week before the draft (since, for example, if someone had signed MFC to an offer sheet in March 2009, the Pats would have been owed first-rounders in 2009 and 2010, not 2010 and 2011).

MFC's trade value back in 2009 was depressed a bit because whatever team drafted him had to pay him at least $14.6M guaranteed (he would be stupid to accept less), on top of whatever they traded for him.

I think the same thing will apply here: to get BJGE, they have to make an offer the Pats won't match PLUS throw in a second-rounder in 2012. That seems rather unlikely unless a team is desperate for him.

Likely the best post in the thread.

Are you saying you hope another team signs him so either we have to pay more or lose him? In other words, you would wish him a fat contract somewhere else so he can do well, at the expense of the Patriots? I may have misunderstood you, but if thats your point I would not want that at all.
I hope he gets a good contract with a nice signing bonus. It wouldn't be ideal for the Pats, no, but sometimes hard work ought to get rewarded. Two years ago who thought he'd get a 1000 yards?

I see a difference between a guy who had one big contract making a fuss on his second, and a guy like BJGE, Woodhead, Randall Gay, Givens, etc, whok were drafted late and played for peanuts finally getting some dough.

G-Im-gonna-make-him-an-offer.jpg

Yeah, the longer this nonsense goes on, the less likely it seems that Green's going anywhere...I still hold out hope, though. :D

Exactly.

Name one team that would make the offer. I certainly can't. Maybe if Jackson tears his ACL then St. Louis makes the offer but otherwise I just don't see it.

Do the jets want to go RBBC?
Even just to agitate. I wouldn't be surprised at all. Its not like they're careful with their draft picks anyway.

They wouldn't give up a 2nd round pick......especially to the Patriots !

They wouldn't give up a 2nd round pick......especially to the Patriots !

oh its just pie in the sky. But if they thought he could contribute and in an attempt to upset the patriots, don't rule it out.

I think the Pats wouldn't be hurt as much as some people think......Faulk would be resigned and Morris probably sticks....Jets would be giving up more with a 2nd rounder than Pats would be losing in offensive power...JMHO :D

When has Morris ever been a reliable running back for us besides a three or four game stretch in 2007? Two rookie running backs, little Woodhead, and old man Faulk is not a comforting thought. BJGE may not be flashy, but he's consistent. His consistency is undervalued.

i dont think anyone will give up a 2th for him and i hope they dont, the pats alredy have lots of Draft picks in 2012 the team is alredy young there is really no room on the roster for anyone outther the a top pass rushing OLB a play maker WR or a big 3-4 DE and all of does type of player go in the top 10 in the draft so IMO its not worth leting the pats first 1000 RB in 5 years go for a late 2th round pick

There are quite a few RFA RBs available. That being said, I could see someone like MIAMI or Cincinnati trying to sign BJGE..

Yes, Miami drafted Daniel Thomas, but they don't have squat beyond him.

Cinncinnati doesn't have squat right now with Cedric Benson a UFA.

I think the point I was trying to make was the Patriots have options if they lost BJGE and got a 2nd round pick next year......Not that I want to lose the kid...he's solid at his position....

Morris can block and knows the Pats offense, as does Faulk....it wouldn't be the end of the world.

One conceivable scenario is that somebody who's interested in Green, but blanches at the idea of losing a 2nd Rounder for him, contacts Coach Bill on the side and asks him if he'd take less ~ perhaps a 3rd and a 6th? ~ to let him go.

As dispassionate as I personally am about Green, I'm nevertheless quite confident that there's at least one team ~ probably more than one ~ that'd be willing to pay considerably more than that Tender to get a young, accomplished, and steady Back who's already run the gauntlet of learning our complex System, has extremely low mileage, and never fumbles...And if they could do so for a 3rd Rounder and change, that would be far more palatable, I think, than surrendering a 2nd Rounder.

As for whether or not Coach Bill would go for that offer, I say he'd take it and RUN.

When has Morris ever been a reliable running back for us besides a three or four game stretch in 2007? Two rookie running backs, little Woodhead, and old man Faulk is not a comforting thought. BJGE may not be flashy, but he's consistent. His consistency is undervalued.
Nothing wrong with rookie running backs. It's the easiest position to transition into the NFL. Some make it, some don't, but I doubt both rooks are total busts.

I like BJGE, but I think he will lose his job to Ridley by the end of the year. Before that happens I hope he gets a nice contract from someone. Or that he at least signs his tender and gets that money.

I doubt we will be hurting at RB this year no matter who lines up. Running play action with Brady at QB, there will be a lot of five-men-in-the-box defenses.

When was the last time any team gave up a 2nd rounder for a RB? It doesn't happen often because most teams don't value veteran RBs that highly (evidenced by the average salary at the position)

When was the last time any team gave up a 2nd rounder for a RB? It doesn't happen often because most teams don't value veteran RBs that highly (evidenced by the average salary at the position)

A certain trade before the 2004 season comes to mind, but I'm guessing there's one more recent than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes