PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

When does the Clay Bucholz experiment end?

Armen Da Pats Fan

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
I am tired of hearing about "great stuff" and "potential" and "upside".

The bottom line, this kid consistently goes into an early inning (2nd, 3rd, 4th) with a 2 or 3 run lead and leaves with a 2 or 3 deficit.

Send him to Pawtucket and let him work on his "great stuff" and "upside".

Bring Masterson back into the starting rotation, especially with Wakefield going on the 15-day DL!

Armen Da Sox Fan

Last edited:
Yeah, lets flip flop Masterson back and forth between the rotation and bullpen and get this kid injured...

He's staying in the pen and that is the best spot for him.

What is happening with Colon, I haven't heard about him in awhile?

The bottom line, this kid consistently goes into an early inning (2nd, 3rd, 4th) with a 2 or 3 run lead and leaves with a 2 or 3 deficit.

Bring Masterson back into the starting rotation, especially with Wakefield going on the 15-day DL!

Armen Da Sox Fan

i remember red sox fans last year saying bucholz was as good or better than Joba. BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

it's time to realize that bucholz won't make it in the big leagues.

i remember red sox fans last year saying bucholz was as good or better than Joba. BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

it's time to realize that bucholz won't make it in the big leagues.

Not many pitchers that come around are like Joba. That being said, saying Buckholz won't make it in the big leagues is a bit over the top. The kid does have terrific stuff. He was pitching pretty well before he got hurt, and during his call up last year. Young pitchers need time to develop at the major league level. The idea is to give younger guys 400 innings before you make a more definitive assesment on their ability at the pro level. It takes younger pitchers time to adjust to major league hitting.

Armen Da Sox Fan
Masterson is on a strict innings count, no way they flip him back to a starting in 2008.

And about Clay, you made one valid point, he is still a kid and he's learning as he grows. He is much like Lester was a few years back- sometimes very good, sometimes not so much. ML pitchers that flat out dominate from an early oint in their careers are a rarity. Give the kid some time and stop overreacting.

Masterson is on a strict innings count, no way they flip him back to a starting in 2008.

And about Clay, you made one valid point, he is still a kid and he's learning as he grows. He is much like Lester was a few years back- sometimes very good, sometimes not so much. ML pitchers that flat out dominate from an early oint in their careers are a rarity. Give the kid some time and stop overreacting.

I hear that and I agree he is very young.

The no-hitter might have been a detriment to him because it set the expectation so high. I think he will be a decent pitcher in the show one day, but for right now, we need a solid #5. We're locked in a 3-way battle for the division and the wild-card! This is no time to be "breaking a kid in".

As far as Masterson, I didn't realize the Sox were "inning counting" him. He looked prety good the couple of times he spot-started this year.

Not many pitchers that come around are like Joba. That being said, saying Buckholz won't make it in the big leagues is a bit over the top. The kid does have terrific stuff. He was pitching pretty well before he got hurt, and during his call up last year. Young pitchers need time to develop at the major league level. The idea is to give younger guys 400 innings before you make a more definitive assesment on their ability at the pro level. It takes younger pitchers time to adjust to major league hitting.

you can just look at his delivery and his lack of zip on his fastball and realize he's triple A quality. you either have to pitch 95 or be a very smart pitcher that paints the corners or be a knuckleballer, etc. bucholz isn't any of these. he reminds me of jeff weaver when he played for the yankees

you can just look at his delivery and his lack of zip on his fastball and realize he's triple A quality. you either have to pitch 95 or be a very smart pitcher that paints the corners or be a knuckleballer, etc. bucholz isn't any of these. he reminds me of jeff weaver when he played for the yankees

Thank god you're not running the Red Sox. Bucholz is only 23, he has a nasty curve ball and change-up and contrary to your info. he has a fast ball that ranges from 92-95 mph. With enough time and coaching by John Farrell he'll be a solid #3 or #4 starter for the Sox. Maybe a little time down on the farm will help, but it's crazy to give up on a kid that showed some promising stuff last year.

Mussina, Maddux, and Dice-k don't throw 95, and have had pretty good success as pitchers. Throwing 95+ is great, but it's command, changing speeds, and the overall quality of your pitches that matters most. Andy Sonninstine with the Rays is having a solid season, and he can't break 90 with his fastball. Look at Billingsley with the Dodgers too. There are a number of good, to very good pitchers in the league who aren't flame throwers.

He's waay to young to say he's not going to make it, that's crazy. Now that they've got Byrd they can send him down and let him work on some things in Pawtucket. His stuff is electric at times, when he's got his curve working he is nasty. He's been hanging it a lot lately, and while he throws hard (95+ at times) his fastball doesn't have a lot of movement. Just throwing hard isn't enough, let's not forget that John "way back" Wasdin threw 95 regularly. He'll learn and get better as he gets older, let's give him a few more years to put it together.

"Not many pitchers that come around are like Joba."

Very true, you don't see too many guys with million dollar potential and a .02 cent shoulder. He's had shoulder problems in the past and will continue to have them, reminds me of a guy in Chicago named Kerry.............

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back