Welcome to PatsFans.com

When does majority rule?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by RIP#40, Aug 21, 2006.

1. RIP#40

RIP#40 On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +9 / 3 / -2

In the can't have it both ways department, I would guess 2/3 of the public want us out of Iraq sooner rather than later. Dems point to the polls as one of the reasons to withdraw. I would say both the death penalty and the ban on homosexual marrige enjoy the same lopsided advantage among the voters of this country. Why does overwhelming public support for these issues get ignored by our good friends the Dems?

2. Mainefan

Mainefan Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Simple reason---

Homosexual marriage is against the law in most states. Majority has ruled.

The death penalty is legal in most states. Majority has ruled.

But we are still in Iraq. Majority is not ruling.

3. Blue Collar

Blue Collar 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

NEM enough with the facts you are pissing people off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please refrain from F'ing another con job thread, it was looking to be one hell of a tale, I for one enjoy this type of political entertainment, YOUR ruining the show, I demand you to stop it :D

4. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +921 / 7 / -3

Reason being we have what is called an electoral college. In 2004 Bush got 3 million more votes than John Fonda, yet, almost lost because of a close vote in Ohio. The electoral college is designed so that mass populated metropolous's can't dominate, and dictate, a national election. They are designed to give smaller states a little more of a say than by direct populous. It makes sense when you understand it. If not, then the NY's, LA's, and Chicago's of the country would pretty much dictate policy.

As for gay marriage and the death penalty, Vermont & Massachusetts.

The difference between gay marriage and the death penalty versus Iraq is simple, one is federal policy, Iraq, the other 2 are a matter of State's rights. The question facing gay marriage of course, is it's constitutionality. National politicians would prefer to stay away from a consitutional amendment banning it, but it may become a moot point as there are ongoing cases regarding recognition. Basically, the fed pols want to leave it up to the states to decide, but there is a problem between couples and states with differing laws. A Mass. or Vermont couple that is married here, and then moves to say Colorado, where gay married is not allowed, has legal issues with regard to marriage rights and privledges. Therefore, it may be an issue that has to be determined through federal law. I for one, am for protecting the sanctity of marriage. Homosexuality is no problem for me, but gays getting married is crossing the line. Civil unions are fine, just not marriage.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2005
  5. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +155 / 10 / -16

#37 Jersey

Because they are the party of hypocracy, as demonstrated by the goosesteppers in these threads.

6. Pujo

Pujo Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Where did the concept of "majority rules" come from? The US is not a democracy, it's a republic. You're throwing out the same kind of red herring as NEM's "then why did Gore get more votes and still lose?"

Now, our elected representatives rule by majority in areas where they have legal competence. The constitution also spells out what inherent rights people have, and our elected officials don't have legal competence to overrule those rights. As far as the death penalty, I don't know where the problem is (we have a federal death penalty, and states that want a death penalty also have one), but as far as gay marriage, some people (I believe correctly) view the ability to enter into a private contract - including marriage - as an inalienable right (part of the life, liberty, and persuit of happyness guarantee), and (I also believe correctly) feel the legislature has no authority to overrule the constitution on that point.

7. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,153 / 5 / -10

Bush is the President

Kerry/Gore are not

Thats That.

8. ctpatsfan1

ctpatsfan1 On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0

heh, I guess you disagree with the Founding Fathers and their electoral system then.

the whole idea that majority rules in this country is a fallacy. We are a democratic republic not a pure democracy. And we are that way because the Founding Fathers wanted to protect the minority from the majority. Simple civics lesson, apparently one that you all missed in school.