2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

When will Branch end his holdout?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought being on that list means he can't report and thus can't accrue a season.

primetime said:
I thought being on that list means he can't report and thus can't accrue a season.
That's want I want, some list that we put him on that leaves him in the same spot as he is now but in 12 months. Report and play or we'll see you in 12 months, assshole. Unfortunately I don't think there is such a list.

Last edited:
I wonder if the Pats reach a point where they'll give Branch an ultimatum to report by a certain date or they'll pull their offer off the table. That would force Branch to either accept the team's offer or play out the final year of his contract.

He doesn't play much in the preseason to avoid injury so as long he is back by week 1 I'll forgive him. Otherwise, he'll go on my sh*t list.

Brady-To-Branch said:
I wonder if the Pats reach a point where they'll give Branch an ultimatum to report by a certain date or they'll pull their offer off the table. That would force Branch to either accept the team's offer or play out the final year of his contract.

I understood they already did that when he asked for the no tag provision as his quid pro quo for reporting.

There is no list he can be put on that precludes him from getting credited for a season provided he shows up by Monday or Tuesday of week 11. If he reports in time to play in 6 games, whether we play him or not, he has his year of service. But it will be cold comfort if it results in little or no stats his agent can spin in FA.

At that point they will either let him walk or (if he shines for 6 weeks) tag and trade him.

He could only be suspended for not showing up if he first showed up and then left. Contractually a player can only lose credit for service if he fails to show up for the minimum (6) number of games the contracts specify, or if he leaves the team without permission at any point after reporting to training camp. Then the team has to file the 5 day letter warning him he will be suspended if he does not return. As I understand it it was in not sending that letter right away that we lost our appeal of Terry Glen's suspension in 2001.

Branch's holdout supposedly could cost him $14,000 per day

($98,000 per week). This means that after a total of 13 weeks he

would theoretically be due a salary of $0. The longer he holds out the

more apt the Patriots are to screw him good. If the situation is

settled in an amicable fashion in the next few days, the Patriots would

probably forget the fines.

Last edited:
Brady-To-Branch said:

Less the $14K per day.........which totals.......

Jimke said:

That is why I posted, when I started the thread, that it makes no sense for him holding out much longer.

If they are at a total impass, then he should report and see if they can get something going during the season. He is only hurting himself and won't change the situation with a further hold out.

There is nothing to gain for him and everything to lose.

Who knows, if he shows up and works hard with the right attitude, maybe the Patriots won't tag him. Maybe they will just let him go and use the money to sign a FA #1 WR.

But if he holds out to the last minute, he makes nothing and the Patriots may tag him just for spite.

I almost expect that they will announce tonight, before the game ,that he will be coming in to practice starting the first of next week.

Jimke said:

Exactly.... but the longer this goes on the longer it appears that the Patriots might just let Branch go into the season without a new contract - and thus without waiving the penalites.

In his mind it's probably a worthwhile gamble to give up $500,000 in fines to get a signing bonus of up to 10 times that amount, but the flip side is he doesn't get a new contract, goes into the season risking injury, loses half this year's salary, and finds himself looking at a potential franchise tag next year, preventing him from cashing in on free agency and the signing bonus that goes with it.

Branch's agent just doesn't seem to understand that the Pats hold nearly all the cards - the only card Branch can play is to actually sit out part of the season.

I voted that he'll report just before the regular season but the longer this goes on the more likely it is that Branch will try to force the issue by threatening to play his card, leaving the Pats without a proven WR for a portion of the season.

Unfortunately the Pats just aren't going to set a precedent letting them get blackmailed like that. They'd take their chances without Branch if he wants to go in that direction, franchising him next season.

Its somewhat akin to the Mutually Assured Destruction of the cold war age

PATSNUTme said:
I almost expect that they will announce tonight, before the game ,that he will be coming in to practice starting the first of next week.

Bold prediction and I hope you are right....do you have any reason to say this or just a guess?

fgssand said:
Bold prediction and I hope you are right....do you have any reason to say this or just a guess?

Not a prediction - just a feeling.

The reason I have that feeling is that it is stupid for Deion to hold out any longer. He will be able to accomplish more by reporting than holding out.

Example: He can say to the Patriots, I'll come in if you waive the fines. Or, I'll come in if you waive the fines and give me a bonus.

The continued holdout does not make any sense for him anymore.

PATSNUTme said:
That is why I posted, when I started the thread, that it makes no sense for him holding out much longer.

If they are at a total impass, then he should report and see if they can get something going during the season. He is only hurting himself and won't change the situation with a further hold out.

There is nothing to gain for him and everything to lose.

Who knows, if he shows up and works hard with the right attitude, maybe the Patriots won't tag him. Maybe they will just let him go and use the money to sign a FA #1 WR.

But if he holds out to the last minute, he makes nothing and the Patriots may tag him just for spite.
I agree with most of your post except for one small thing: The Patriots act in a very business-like, unemotional manner. They are not going to tag someone "just for spite". They may very well tag him if they thing he is worth whatever it would cost them. Or they may let him go if they don't think he is worth whatever he will cost them. But I don't think for one second hard feelings or spiteful action enter the front office's minds.

Last edited:
QuiGon said:
I agree with most of your post except for one small thing: The Patriots act in a very business-like, unemotional manner. They are not going to tag someone "just for spite". They may very well tag him if they thing he is worth whatever it would cost them. Or they may let him go if they don't think he is worth whatever he will cost them. But I don't think for one second hard feelings or spiteful action enter the front office's minds.

You are right in most cases. But, everyone has pride and a line that can't be crossed.

Business is business. But I have been in business many years and I've seen it get very personal once a situation has gone beyonda certan point.

That is why I think it is in Branch's interest to report this week. He is really not holding any trump cards in this situation. The best thing for his long term future is to report. He's made his point now.

In my opinion the best chance for this situation to get resolved is this:

Branch agrees to come in without a new contract and the Patriots agree to waive the fines.

Why?

1. The Patriots CANNOT give in to his demands. Branch is under contract and to reward a guy for failing to honor his contract is like giving in to terrorists. If you let him get away with it, everyone will start doing it. (If you think Branch would be holding out had the Pats not rewarded Seymour for doing the same thing last year, raise your hand.... I don't see any hands raised - therefore I'm right! :D )

2. Branch has nothing further to gain by continuing his holdout, unless he plans to sit out until week 11, in which case he will have to play 6 games (and risk getting hurt) for no pay(assuming the Pats exercise their right to fine him $14K/day). He also hurts his market value (TO notwithstanding - Deion is a good receiver but he is not in TO's talent class) and the Pats can still franchise him.

3. Deion can save face by firing his agent, a la Watson in 2004, and hire a less confrontational one.

PromisedLand said:
In my opinion the best chance for this situation to get resolved is this:

Branch agrees to come in without a new contract and the Patriots agree to waive the fines.

Why?

1. The Patriots CANNOT give in to his demands. Branch is under contract and to reward a guy for failing to honor his contract is like giving in to terrorists. If you let him get away with it, everyone will start doing it. (If you think Branch would be holding out had the Pats not rewarded Seymour for doing the same thing last year, raise your hand.... I don't see any hands raised - therefore I'm right! :D )

2. Branch has nothing further to gain by continuing his holdout, unless he plans to sit out until week 11, in which case he will have to play 6 games (and risk getting hurt) for no pay(assuming the Pats exercise their right to fine him $14K/day). He also hurts his market value (TO notwithstanding - Deion is a good receiver but he is not in TO's talent class) and the Pats can still franchise him.

3. Deion can save face by firing his agent, a la Watson in 2004, and hire a less confrontational one.

You nailed it. I just hope that the kid doesn't push this too far.

Last edited by a moderator:
PATSNUTme said:

Ok- I was wrong about that one.

Let's see if it's sometime this week.

The report that he is going to hold out until game 10 is just plain stupid on Deions part.

Sadly there's no NFL or other rule against stupidity.

If Deon holds out until the 10th games of the season, I expect the

Pats to fine him the maximum amount and not play him in any of the

remaining games and the playoffs.

If he does not sign in the next few days, I hope the Pats make a trade

and try to come up with a wide receiver with a hell of a lot more promise

than their recent acquisitions.

Jimke said:
If Deon holds out until the 10th games of the season, I expect the

Pats to fine him the maximum amount and not play him in any of the

remaining games and the playoffs.

If he does not sign in the next few days, I hope the Pats make a trade

and try to come up with a wide receiver with a hell of a lot more promise

than their recent acquisitions.
I expect they'd Keyshawn him and tell him he's inactive the rest of the year and not to show up.

There's WR available, Lelie obviously, but I think Stallworth and Rogers (who showed up in excellent shape for Detroit but is still 3rd string) could be had.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes