PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

When do the Pats try to sign Moss to a long term deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand all the caution by everyone on Moss its deffinately worth the feeling he was extactic the first 3 years in the NFL with MN. Then it went downhill after Carter retired. However on this team the guys who would keep him in line are gonna be here for years to come (Brady, Seymour, Big Vince...) He is looking at the hall as an ultimate goal and thats gonna take another year or 2 after this one. He has the best chance of putting up stats on this team with TB and winning championships in the process. Sign him after the SB 3 years 22 million. Brady should do his induction presentation

Last edited:
I would say mid-season..to see how he has done and just to see how is attitude is...I agree..he may feel like he's found a REAL home here..and that might be more important than anything else. And looking at this team as something special..well..that MIGHT be what he's more concerned with. Then, I definitely would. It may be a great fit here...long term.

There's no hurry to sign Randy. He has a 3 million dollar contract and another 2 million in performance contracts. Let the contract run its course and watch what happens. There is still a whole lot of season left, and if he stays on track, performs, and adopts the Patriot brand of football, reward him next year, but I would keep most of the rewards in the performance side of the contact...kind of like merit pay.

Signing Moss right now would be signing him at a peak. If he plays this well for the rest of the season, I dont think they gain much by signing him now vs toward the end.

If Moss is willing to go something like 3years/24million (including 12mil signing), I think a deal is made. If Moss is looking for 10mil+ a season, I dont think he gets a multiyear deal.

As for Dillon...It wasn't like Dillon lost motivation or anything...It was just a matter of injury & age that made him digress. Even so, I think the season he had in 04 more than made up for him being overpaid toward the end.

The comments about how Dillon sucked after year one are idiotic. Last year he was the best goalline RB in the league. He just transformed into more of a role player as he aged.

These topics about the Pats 2008 off-season moves upset me much, much, much more then 16-0 topics.

Let's enjoy this season guys, we got something special going on.

Then again if I don't like them, I shouldn't click them. >_>

Carry on.

The comments about how Dillon sucked after year one are idiotic. Last year he was the best goalline RB in the league. He just transformed into more of a role player as he aged.
Dillon gave it his all...a great 04 and an injured 05...I really believe he was MORE injured than we all knew and he did his best ALL the time..I also think he did fine in 06..sort of a transition/role play year as Maroney was the outside threat, but
really...no bad words about CD..

Yes there is a long list of WR who perform into their mid to late 30's

Marvin Harrison, Jerry Rice....
That's a long list? One? (Harrison is not in mid to late 30's). And Jerry Rice's skills had declined and was cut by the 49ers before he reached age 35 IIRC. THe Raider and Seahawk Jerry Rice played, but he was not worth a lot of money, and certainly was not a #1 receiver. Or #2. Or #3.

I'm betting that far and away most WRs are NOT in their mid-thirties, that most stop playing around age 30.

For every WR who plays, even at a low level, in their late thirties, there must be a thousand who don't.

Moss may be the exception. He may not be. But there is no long list of WRs who maintain their effectiveness in their mid-to-late thirties.

is it jsut me or is everyone forgetting he accually as another year on the current contract jsut a really expensive year.

Edit: my bad i got the Moss and Stallworth deals mixed up

Last edited:
(Harrison is not in mid to late 30's

Uh, Harrison is 35 years old and still putting up great numbers.

Randy Moss is 5 years younger and 4 inches taller.

Word.

Harrison also plays a less premium position, although safety is starting to get better recognition in the NFL I don't think the payscale is as high as a #1 wideout.

The Pats will try to resign Moss in the offseason, bet on it. Hopefully Moss' agent does not ask for the moon though, because the Pats won't pay. I can see them offering a 6M annual deal for say 3 years with significant bonus money.

DOBs:

Randy Moss - 2/13/1977 which would make him 31 when the 2008 season starts
Marvin Harrison - 8/25/1972 which made him 31 when the 2003 season started

His numbers since the 2003 season have been pretty good, to say the least.

Jerry Rice - 10/13/1962 which made him 31 going into the 2004 season.
Rice was a member of the 49ers until the 2001 season.

After Rice turned 31, he finished in the Top 10 in receptions 5 times, receiving yards 4 times, receiving TDs 4 times, yards from scrimmage twice, TDs twice.

Besides Marvin Harrison and Jerry Rice, Tim Brown, Cris Carter, Joey Galloway, Terrell Owens, Jimmy Smith come to mind as wideouts who have played well after turning 31.

That being said, whomever suggested giving Moss a deal similar to Owens' made an excellent suggestion, IMO.

DOBs:

After Rice turned 31, he finished in the Top 10 in receptions 5 times, receiving yards 4 times, receiving TDs 4 times, yards from scrimmage twice, TDs twice.

Besides Marvin Harrison and Jerry Rice, Tim Brown, Cris Carter, Joey Galloway, Terrell Owens, Jimmy Smith come to mind as wideouts who have played well after turning 31.

That being said, whomever suggested giving Moss a deal similar to Owens' made an excellent suggestion, IMO.
Thanks for your input...always look forward to your words..numbers..

DOBs:

That would be 41, actually. Your overall point is still valid (probably meant 1994?).

DOBs:

What did Owens get?

What did Owens get?
A $5 million signing bonus in 2006.
A $5 million salary in 2006
2006 Offseason workout bonus money - $1,100.
His 2006 cap hit was $6,667,766

Owens got a $3 million roster bonus sometime this summer which guaranteed his $5 million salary. His 2007 cap number before any offseaon workout bonus money will be $9,666,666.

In 2008 Owens is scheduled to get a $3 million roster bonus sometime during the summer. He is also due to get a $4 million salary. His 2008 cap number before any offseason workout money will be $8,666,668.

I don't know if the two positions can be compared. Running backs traditionally drop off dramatically when they hit the wall. The same is not true of receivers. Moss is only 30 , and barring injury could preform at a high level for another 4 or 5 years.

Exactly!

Maybe now would be a good time to try to extend Moss, while he's high on the new-found excitement of having a great QB throwing to him. Hopefully, he won't make us totally break the bank.

For Moss to sign right now he'd be taking much less than he could get if he continues this trend.

I think Moss is very comfortable gambling on his health and performance this season... which is why he signed for low money for one year here... wanting to cash in BIG time in free agency.

So far so good for Moss - he's healthy through 2 games and has put up BIG numbers and played the role of a good teammate.

I'm not sure why he'd want to give up on his plan for a big time long term lucrative contract now and take less than top dollar he could get in competitive bidding.

If he has a few down games, see if he bites at an offer - but hopefully that doesn't happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes