PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

When do the Pats try to sign Moss to a long term deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snarf

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Early in the season, or at the end?

Thoughts?

They absolutely can't let this guy go. He's worth top receiver money.

I agree they need to sign him and I think they will. Look how much he smiles now, he loves it here. I say around mid-season if they haven't begun talks already.

I don't see the Pats offering a long term deal. I see them offering year to year. Look at Dillon. When he signed the first year he was a ball of fire and help the team win SBXXXIX. After this, his productivity went into the toilet. I see the same with Moss. If the Pats win the SB this year, you will see Moss and his productivity go into the toilet next year as well. I may be all wrong with this, but Moss is goal driven for a ring and I see his character after achieving this goal to go south.

Please post your thoughts...

I don't see the Pats offering a long term deal. I see them offering year to year. Look at Dillon. When he signed the first year he was a ball of fire and help the team win SBXXXIX. After this, his productivity went into the toilet. I see the same with Moss. If the Pats win the SB this year, you will see Moss and his productivity go into the toilet next year as well. I may be all wrong with this, but Moss is goal driven for a ring and I see his character after achieving this goal to go south.

You bring up an interesting point.. Dillon did suck as soon as he reached his goal of winning the lombardi.. He never got too much heat for that..

On the other hand, it also seems like Moss is also concerned with his legacy as one of the best receivers all time. A ring is an important ingredient for that label but I think he'd still be interested in performing well. He has to make up for his sub-incredible years in Oakland.

I think they should wait until the end of the season to sign him. He was only been involve in two games so far.

First, that isn't fair to Dillon. He played hurt the following season. Second, he was pretty good for the tough yards last year. How soon people forget. So tell me, who is the next flavor of the month. Dillon was a good Pat.

End of the season, it's only been 2 games.

I don't know if the two positions can be compared. Running backs traditionally drop off dramatically when they hit the wall. The same is not true of receivers. Moss is only 30 , and barring injury could preform at a high level for another 4 or 5 years.

Last edited:
I think we will wait to sign him to test his durability. When we offer a deal i think a 2 year deal should be on the offering, he is so volatile that i think he would take a one year deal as an insult. Keep him happy and he will do us well.

I don't know if the two positions can be compared. Running backs traditionally drop off dramatically when they hit the wall. The same is not true of receivers. Moss is only 30 , and barring injury could preform at a high level for another 4 or 5 years.

Yes there is a long list of WR who perform into their mid to late 30's

Marvin Harrison, Jerry Rice....

Moss isn't just an athletic freak of a receiver, he is SMART.

I think they should Franchise him. :cool:

I agree they wouldnt do a 4 or 5 year deal but at the same time I dont think Moss would go for another 'prove yourself 1 year deal' I'd look for a 2 year deal to get done, 3 max.

I think Dillon and Moss are less similar than we think. I also think Dillon was older and HURT and had more wear and tear than Moss would. While I don't disagree that Dillon had less fire after that Super Bowl (and the resulting contract), I think his slow-down had more to do with physical elements than the lack of emotional fire.

Sign Moss ASAP for a good, solid 3-4 year deal. I think Moss will re-up here. I think he loves playing, and especially loves playing with Brady.

Last edited:
I think a 3 year deal comparable to the one Owens signed with the Cowboys would suit both sides well.

On the other hand, it also seems like Moss is also concerned with his legacy as one of the best receivers all time. A ring is an important ingredient for that label but I think he'd still be interested in performing well. He has to make up for his sub-incredible years in Oakland.

Whenever they do get into serious talks
ABOVE would be the paramount consideration.

That is what will cause him to accept
the team's Very Good offer - that isn't actually The Best there is out there.

As a footnote ... paying Moss
is what will consign Asante elsewhere.
One is worth it; the other isn't.

I think that if he continues to be as good as he is now throughout the season, keeps working hard, doesn't start his complaining when he isn't involved in the offense as much in a couple of games then they may offer him something.

Don't think for a minute the Pats wouldn't be weary offering him a contract because of what happened with Dillon. I see Stallworth being let go at the end of the season and possibly Gaffney IF Jackson can show something, sometime this season.

I don't think Moss will go down hill if we win the SB this year. Winning is everything to him and I think the HOF is something that he would want to get into as well. Those 2 years in Oakland hurt him in that regard so I think a few years as a Pat would get him into the HOF. IF that is, he continues this production and continues to be a "model" teammate.

When I read things like this, especially about someone like Corey Dillon, it makes me think how much Yankees fans we have become.

R

First, that isn't fair to Dillon. He played hurt the following season. Second, he was pretty good for the tough yards last year. How soon people forget. So tell me, who is the next flavor of the month. Dillon was a good Pat.

I agree re Dillon. He gets a bad rap, IMO.

As to Moss, I sure hope they do sign him to a 3-4 year deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes