PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

When did you become a fan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When they win a game im a fan, when they lose, I root for the Bills or Jets;)

Again Im kidding, been a fan since 1978, my first game was nov 19 1978 Pats vs Jets at Shea Stadium, Pat leahy of the jets missed a fg, and Steve Nelson taunted him afterwords.. Steve Grogan was my child hood idol..

That's hilarious, I was at that game too, lol.

Born in 1978... I somewhat remember the 86 Superbowl, but I didn't really care at the time. I knew nothing of football until I was a freshman in High School. I decided to join the team to see what it was all about, that and my best friend recruited me. I had no idea what I was doing, and didn't know what any of the positions were. I was starting to get frustrated and was going to quit the team...Our coach pulled me aside and told me that he was going to make me the starting TE for the Freshman unit, and to Watch the Pats game on sunday, look for #87 Ben Coates, and just pay attention to what he did. It just happened this was 1993 and the game I watched was the first of that years 4 game win streak that took the Dolphins out of the playoffs. From watching those 4 games, I learned so much about the game was able to enjoy it, which in turn helped me on the field...I was in love haha. Bledsoe's bomb to Timpson against the Phins in the last game of the season sealed the deal for me.

Born '74, I vividly remember squish the fish, and remember as probably my strongest early football memory going up to Maine watching the SB in '86...didn't really understand the nuances of football, but I definitely understood the heartbreak that everyone in the room felt (20+ people) and haven't been able to turn back. Loved the Eason/Grogan debates, Loved Tatupu, Loved Tippett. Even loved the **** Mac era (lol, OK, no I didn't) and was thrilled when Parcells joined the team. Was just getting a grip on football as a high schooler at the time, so it really synched up perfectly for me to understand and root with all my heart at the same time. Everything from then on (even the Carroll years) has been great, even after moving to FL and being surrounded by NY and MIA fans.

I was born in '75
I started watching games around the mid 80's...big fan of Andre Tippett. Tony Collins etc...
We've come a long way!

1986 as my family moved here from Australia. The only NFL teams I had ever heard of before moving here were the 49ers, Cowboys and Redskins.

It took me a while to understand the rules but I was hooked when my Dad took me to a game against the Bengals (when they were actually good) in December of '86.

Foxboro was rocking and the Pats won big.

I'm still scarred by the playoff lose to Denver that year!

I would go to at least one Pats game a year after that and finally bought season tickets in 1992.

As with most Boston residents, the pats were my team when I moved in from Nigeria, but I wasn't hot on them. Then I got swept up in the fervor when the pats went 2-2 in '01. I didn't really pay attention to the team after that, even when they won in '03, but I started making fan-esque decisions in '04, like y'know, making risky bets with friends, going on nothing more than Tom Brady's clutch abilities. After they won in '04, I was sold, but didn't get obsessed until the '06 season.

born in 1991, i became a fan in 2000 when my uncle came to london, we watched the patriots vs dolphins game, to piss of my uncle who was a phins fan(aren't i a devil child), and because patriots had england in their name, i supported the patriots, and have yet to and will never look back, im a patriot for life :D

Last edited:
Born in '49, so I was 11 in 1960. I remember my Dad being very excited over finally having a local pro team. Have kept my alligences to the Sox, Pats, Celts, no matter where I've lived all these years.

Then how come you didn't convince your cousin to sign with us? What's up with that?

Haha.. no kidding. Lofa is a tremendous talent. Unfortunately, for me, I've never met him. They are related by marriage, and it's from my side of the family that lives on the other side of the country..

It was about 1964 I think. I don't remember the championship loss to the Chargers (1963?) but I do remember the Pats losing to the Jets - I think it was Namath's rookie year - in a game they should have won, I think it was 1966. The Jets weren't very good then and had the pats won they would have gone to the AFL championship. Winner of that game got to play in the first Super Bowl. Babe Parilli, Gino Capiletti, and Jim Nance were my favorites. Bob Dee lived a couple of streets away from me.

I didn't understand the fans of my parents generation who followed the Giants on channel 5 rather than the Pats on channel 4. They told me it was because the NFL was real football, and I replied that the Pats sure looked real to me. Whenever I asked if they were fans of the Yankees, Rangers, or Knicks too I always got a menacing glare, or worse - but no solid answer other than "that's not the same thing."

After missing out on that chance to play in the first Super Bowl it was ten years before the team was good again. In the interim I would see people my own age with Steeler or Raider hats on. I'd ask if they were also fans of the Pirates or A's and get dumbfounded looks back. Again, answers were typically "that's not the same thing." Granted, I followed the Red Sox, Bruins and Celtics more than the Pats during those years, but I never stopped being a Pats fan even when they were only winning one or two games a season. I certainly never even remotely considered following any other NFL team closer than the Pats. Maybe I'm being provincial or a homer, but I still don't understand how somebody jumps from being a fan of one team for a few years to another for a few years, and on and on; what's the point?

there's a lot of old people on this board.

Maybe my favorite post ever.....

9/9/60 - Game one -- Day one Boston Vs Denver @ BU / Braves Field.

Pats lose heart breaker in closing minutes.

I was hooked...my Dad took me to this game when I was a very young boy (all of 7).

Let's GO Pats!!!!!

I also attended this game. Chuck Shonta tried for an interception

and turned a short pass into a long gain. Gene Mingo then kicked a

winning field goal. Parking was so bad that I had to park in Kenmore

Square.

It was about 1964 I think. I don't remember the championship loss to the Chargers (1963?) but I do remember the Pats losing to the Jets - I think it was Namath's rookie year - in a game they should have won, I think it was 1966. The Jets weren't very good then and had the pats won they would have gone to the AFL championship. Winner of that game got to play in the first Super Bowl. Babe Parilli, Gino Capiletti, and Jim Nance were my favorites. Bob Dee lived a couple of streets away from me.

PWP: I was at Namath's 1st ever pro game, a pre-season match played in Lowell Stadium against the Pats. Namath was terrific, unfortunately.

I didn't understand the fans of my parents generation who followed the Giants on channel 5 rather than the Pats on channel 4. They told me it was because the NFL was real football, and I replied that the Pats sure looked real to me. Whenever I asked if they were fans of the Yankees, Rangers, or Knicks too I always got a menacing glare, or worse - but no solid answer other than "that's not the same thing."
?

Man, I HATED having a New York team forced down our (TV) throats, even worse New Englanders liking it! Loved having our Boston Patriots, even with their flaws starting with the ownership. Thanks for bringing us football Billy Sullivan!

I also attended this game. Chuck Shonta tried for an interception

and turned a short pass into a long gain. Gene Mingo then kicked a

winning field goal. Parking was so bad that I had to park in Kenmore

Square.

I was at the Fenway Park game vs the Broncs later in the 60s. The 'INT' bounced off Shonta's chest and into the arms of a Bronco downfield. Being young and stupid, I hated American Indians for years afterwards for cursing us vs the Donks. :p

Remember 'Billy Joe'?

Last edited:
I became a live-and-die Pats fan in 1985 when I was 12.

Snow Bowl, 2002. (I know, I know). I was 12, and it was the first full NFL game I watched.

1993 when i came into the world

Seymour my man were have you been boot camp?

Last edited:
Born in 1988. I became a fan while watching the 1996 SB. I rooted for the Pats because they were underdogs and I really liked Bledsoe and the uniforms. By Fall of 1999 I was obsessed and I got to see a game in the old stadium that year (the Damon Huard game). The atmosphere was great even though I was in the nose bleeds. I've been dying to go back to Foxboro and see the new stadium but I haven't been able to make it. Hopefully that will change this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back