PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

When did you become a fan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

castlelong1

Banned
Reaction score
Although I was aware of the Plunkett era, I did not become a fan of the Patriots until 1976Polls must be posted within 5 minutes of thread. Can a fast typist do a ten option from 1960, 1971, 1975, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1985, 1986, 1993, 1994, 1996, or 2001+ and describe the significance of those years.

Last edited:
Although I was aware of the Plunkett era, I did not become a fan of the Patriots until 1976

Yea, I was born in '71 and my Dad took me to games in the 70's and 80's (he was an orignal season ticket holder and watched them play at Fenway and Nickerson), but I guess the early 80's and Grogan years were when I really started to "understand" the game and became a fan.

Grew up in NYC, both parents were/are Jets fans. Started liking the Pats because of #42, Little Mack Herron in 1974, became a fulltime Pats fan in 1976. Have lived and died with them ever since, lol.

Born in 1966. Started watching in the mid 70's but the games were hard to come by as I lived in a NY part of CT. I remember watching with my dad and having to readjust the antennae several times throughout the game to keep the reception manageable. I would say that the 1976 playoffs are some of my earliest memories and Grogan was my alltime favorite Patriot until Brady came along. My early favorite Pats included Tony Collins, Andre Tippett, Steve Nelson, Mike Haynes (I still can't believe we lost him) Stanley Morgan and Russ Francis. Have been a great team to follow with only one or 2 short periods of really bad ball.

Maybe my favorite post ever.....

9/9/60 - Game one -- Day one Boston Vs Denver @ BU / Braves Field.

Pats lose heart breaker in closing minutes.

I was hooked...my Dad took me to this game when I was a very young boy (all of 7).

Let's GO Pats!!!!!

Born in 1978. Started watching with the 86 Super Bowl run, mostly because it was what the "cool, older kids" at school were talking about...I was in 1st grade. Didn't get "hooked" until the day Bledsoe was drafted. For some reason I followed that draft very closely. I was a huge Celts and Sox fan but had only watched the pats from afar. Since then, I have missed only a handfull of games either on tv on in person.

I was 11 years old, watching the Pats/Dolphins game in Foxboro. He was seriously a hard core fan, so he gives me $20, says beconme a Pats fan and I say sure for ****s and giggles. I became hooked during the game, I loved footballl because I was also playing football most of my life. I became instantly hooked, it was the 01 season and I jumped on the band wagon at the right time.

Trust is, I'm not a bandwagon fan. My family is all from southie my family's roots is a mix of NY and MA but mainly MA. So thats where my interests came in choosing the Pats, I followed my family and now I'm obsessed and too emotionaly attatched :-D

Just to add for the guy above, I've only been to 3 games all in Miami.

Last edited:
I became a fan when I realized my uncle played for the Pats (Mosi Tatupu). He actually played for them for some time before I became a fan, but I was too young then. I started liking the Pats around 1984.

I started following the Pats in 1982, when I was 9. Couldn't really follow them from 86-88 when I was living in Germany as we only got to see MNF, the play-offs and the SB. But I did my best. Been following them religiously since 89. And yes, there were plenty of down years there, but I stuck with them. Like many others.

1994, I was 12 at the time. Didn't really have a team but I was big on collecting cards. For whatever reason I started collecting Drew Bledsoe rookies. After the shootout loss vs Miami I started following the team somewhat. The first game I truly sat down to watch the Pats and cheer them was the game at cleveland which we lost 13-6 to Belichick's Browns. Then came the big comeback win vs Minnesota and the 6 game win streak to the playoffs. From then I was hooked.

The year Bledsoe was drafted I just started watching football the year before.
My dad wasn't into sports so I relied on my Pop Pop for sports advice.
He was a huge Barry Sanders, Dan Marino fan, I was rooting for the Lions never the Dolphins something about those jerseys couldn't stand them.
Anyway he starts talking about keeping my eye on Drew how he could be one of the greats, and how Parcells was a excellent coach and motivator.
So ever since then I started following the Patriots, I started getting their pro weeklys when I was in about third or fourth grade and was hooked ever since.

February 2002.

nah, I dunno when I was born I guess.

Last edited:
When they win a game im a fan, when they lose, I root for the Bills or Jets;)

Again Im kidding, been a fan since 1978, my first game was nov 19 1978 Pats vs Jets at Shea Stadium, Pat leahy of the jets missed a fg, and Steve Nelson taunted him afterwords.. Steve Grogan was my child hood idol..

I became a fan when I realized my uncle played for the Pats (Mosi Tatupu). He actually played for them for some time before I became a fan, but I was too young then. I started liking the Pats around 1984.

Then how come you didn't convince your cousin to sign with us? What's up with that?

Became a lifelong/diehard fan during the playoff run of Jan. 1986. Was able to see my first game in person this past year against the Browns.

1960-Lou Saban was the coach, Butch Songin was the QB and most of the players were from BC.

Became a Pats fan in 1993 when I was 14 and started to really get into football. My Dad went out and bought Pats gear the day Parcells was hired, and the rest is history.

I was born in MA but did not follow the the team that closely until 1983 when I was 12 and moved across country! My family moved and I was not a happy camper. That year the Seahawks prevented the Patriots from making the playoffs by defeating them late in the season. I of course was bitter! The next year featured a history making game early in the season. Seattle took a 23-0 lead and Tony Eason took over for Steve Grogan. Eason lead the team to a 38-23 comeback. At that time that was a record breaking comeback. There were a lot of teary-eyed Seahawks fans at school the following Monday.

Became a fan in 1960 when I heard that finally (in my aware lifetime) Boston would get its own football team. Hated having the New York team stuffed down our throats here. Now it's Back to the Future, deja vous all over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back