PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

When did turnovers become trivial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob0729

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
A general theme on Jets boards this week is that the Pats' defense sucks, but they create a lot of turnovers. As if creating turnovers are easy and any defense can create turnovers. There is even a thread where the OP goes a step further and claims the offense isn't really all that great either and just benefit from extra possessions from the turnovers.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think it takes talent for a defense to create 36 defense in a season.

Funny... people tend to take credit away from the defense because of all the pressure that our offense puts on opposing QBs... now they're dissing the offense because the defense is setting them up with turnovers.

So... somehow both our offense AND defense suck, meaning our ST have won us 14 games.

Funny... people tend to take credit away from the defense because of all the pressure that our offense puts on opposing QBs... now they're dissing the offense because the defense is setting them up with turnovers.

So... somehow both our offense AND defense suck, meaning our ST have won us 14 games.

Complimentary football. :rocker:

The Flip side, or next step in this one:
The D always has the luxury of big leads.

Random deflections off Rvrs. hands would certainly be luck.
This +28 is not that.

1) We have seen it. they have not.
As in the attacks on Gronk, to Branch is JAG, etc.
People must have not watched the team. They couldn't have.
Perhaps read down the unfamiliar names on the roster, look at the stats.

2) More casual Fans tend to see INTs as random accidentals,
equivalent to a fumble as 'dropping the ball' and
Not recognize they are a function of coaching, discipline, teaching
ball hawking hustle, and using multiple well designed D schemes/formations,
that lead to QB confusion.

3) (subset of 2), talented men in the secondary, making plays.
This contradicts their own faulty premise it is all B/BB.

45-3

More stumpers:

The receivers aren't that good, they just catch all the passes
because of Brady.

Brady is not that great, it is Belichick.

Belichick is not that great it is, Brady.

If the pats didn't score 30 ppg, they wouldn't win by as much.

If woodhead is so good, why did the Jets waive him?

How can they win with rookies? Who wins with rookies?

My own humble contribution.
If Brady was a Raider, would Adipose Rex suddenly crave
a woman with breasts?

Last edited:
A team that lives off of big turnovers, can be hit or miss. You can't expect to get them every game as opposed to a Defense that shuts you down. You would feel better that a shutdown defense would show up more consistantly. With that said there really aren't any shutdown defenses and the ones who thought they were didn't feel the same way after they faced Brady this year.

But I like the chances of creating turnovers against Mark Sanchez in cold weather. Sunday looks like a high of 34 degrees.:rocker:

Sunday looks like a high of 34 degrees.:rocker:

I would expect some revisiting of this, given it combines Uggs, feet, Sanchez in the cold, and generally seems stranger than fiction. Some scribe, stumped for a plotline, i would think?

UGG! Sanchez gets special cold-weather helmet

UGG! Sanchez gets special cold-weather helmet
3:14 PM, December 18, 2009 ASSOCIATED PRESS

Mark Sanchez will wear a special cold-weather helmet to play his first career game in temperatures under 40 degrees.

“We put some of the UGG boot stuff in his helmet, so he’s going to be warmer,” Rex Ryan said, referring to the wool-lined footwear. “I’m not kidding. Look at his helmet. He’s got some of that in there. We try to make sure our guys are comfortable and healthy and protected.”

"I am excited to play. I know there are going to be many more (games in the snow), so I plan to get used to it," Sanchez said.

What may be the most worn-out cliché used by football analysts in their weekly pre-game 'keys to the game' is that "the team that wins the turnover battle will win this game", "this team must win the turnover battle", or something similar. The only response most people have to comments such as those is that saying that is stating the obvious; you may as well say the key to the game is to score more points.

With that in mind I find it ironic that now some are trying to say turnovers are random acts of pure luck that cannot be counted on or expected to happen.

Why stats like 3rd down defense or rushing yards allowed per game are thrown out as some be-all end-all stat, but turnovers are dismissed as meaningless boggles my mind. Other than points scored and points allowed, turnovers may be the most important stat out there; it's certainly more telling than offensive and defensive yards per game in my opinion.

Why stats like 3rd down defense or rushing yards allowed per game are thrown out as some be-all end-all stat, but turnovers are dismissed as meaningless boggles my mind. Other than points scored and points allowed, turnovers may be the most important stat out there; it's certainly more telling than offensive and defensive yards per game in my opinion.

It may not be causative, but TO margin sure as heck is correlative:

Just considering 2010 regular season games:

Team TO margin of +1: 66-27 (71%)
Team TO margin of +2: 49-10 (83%)
Team TO margin of +3 or better: 57-3 (95%)

A general theme on Jets boards this week is that the Pats' defense sucks, but they create a lot of turnovers. As if creating turnovers are easy and any defense can create turnovers. There is even a thread where the OP goes a step further and claims the offense isn't really all that great either and just benefit from extra possessions from the turnovers.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think it takes talent for a defense to create 36 defense in a season.
Jets fans need an education. Why don't you post this on one of their feeble websites:

Cold, Hard Football Facts.com: The Almighty CHFF Interception Ladder

Unfortunately, at least half of Jets Nation is illiterate.

(reverse order, most recent on top)

Patriots 38, Dolphins 7
Patriots 34, Bills 3
Patriots 31, Packers 27
Patriots 36, Bears 7
Patriots 45, Jets 3
Patriots 45, Lions 24
Patriots 31, Colts 28
Patriots 39, Steelers 26

(most recent on bottom)
NYJ 26 @ CLE 20
HOU 27 @ NYJ 30
CIN 10 @ NYJ 26
NYJ 3 @ NE 45
MIA 10 @ NYJ 6
NYJ 22 @ PIT 17
NYJ 34 @ CHI 38
BUF 7 @ NYJ 38

Last 8, most recent last.
Pats
8-0 Margin: +13, +3, +21,+41, +29, +4, +31, +31
Jets
5-3 Margin: +6, +3, +16, -41, -4, +5, -4, +31

i actually think the defense turnover is the reason the offense has score pts so quickly with short fields. the PPG has been inflated by our scoring D and short fields.It should be interesting how our team/offense plays when the D cant force any turnovers in the playoffs. That is my small concern because we have creat 1 or 1+ turnover in every game since cleveland.

Well, you can't create them in the playoffs, especially if you're young.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes