PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

When did it become wrong to be a fan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsRI

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I've been reading the papers and listening to the radio the past couple of days and the prevailing sense seems to be that all Patriot fans are a bunch of yahoos and that we can't analyze games because of that. Now there is a level of fan out there that say the Pats will win because "they are the best" and give no reason why but I think the majority I read and hear give reasons. It would seem that being 10-0 in the playoffs isn't a valid reason to the media nowadays, nor the fact that the Pats were injured in the first Denver game, except for the fact that this was what was said before the Pit AFC Champ game last year and it was proved to be right. I guess the point of my post is that I'm tired of the media making feel like some yokel if I root for my team and I think they CAN win the Super Bowl again.

Only you can make you feel that way. You are responsible for how you feel :)

Seriously, the media are posting their largely incompetent opinions as they always do.

PatsRI said:
I've been reading the papers and listening to the radio the past couple of days and the prevailing sense seems to be that all Patriot fans are a bunch of yahoos and that we can't analyze games because of that. Now there is a level of fan out there that say the Pats will win because "they are the best" and give no reason why but I think the majority I read and hear give reasons. It would seem that being 10-0 in the playoffs isn't a valid reason to the media nowadays, nor the fact that the Pats were injured in the first Denver game, except for the fact that this was what was said before the Pit AFC Champ game last year and it was proved to be right. I guess the point of my post is that I'm tired of the media making feel like some yokel if I root for my team and I think they CAN win the Super Bowl again.

PatsRI said:
YAAAA-HOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! Go Pats!!

Lucky for me I can't read. :D

It's the bandwagon fans, you know the ones unlike me or you or shmessy, or patsnutme, or NEM, or etc etc.

I've been a fan since 1994, I've only been watching football since 1994. I've stuck with the Pats through the crappy seasons and now that we're on top it is so much sweeter. The Bandwagoners will never know how that feels, because to truly enjoy a team's wins you have to feel the pain of a team's losses.

I never in my wildest dreams thought we'd win the Superbowl in 2001, let alone win 3 and become the class of the league. But years from now, when I set my son on my lap to watch a game of football and he asks me "Daddy, what was it like to watch Tom Brady play?" I'll be able to swell up with pride and remember these times. Not just with the team, but with all you great people as well. The hilarious threads, the heated discussions, the "WE'RE DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED" and "CAN we got off the field on 3rd down?" posts in the chat room, etc.

NovaScotiaPatsFan said:
It's the bandwagon fans, you know the ones unlike me or you or shmessy, or patsnutme, or NEM, or etc etc.

I've been a fan since 1994, I've only been watching football since 1994. I've stuck with the Pats through the crappy seasons and now that we're on top it is so much sweeter. The Bandwagoners will never know how that feels, because to truly enjoy a team's wins you have to feel the pain of a team's losses.

I never in my wildest dreams thought we'd win the Superbowl in 2001, let alone win 3 and become the class of the league. But years from now, when I set my son on my lap to watch a game of football and he asks me "Daddy, what was it like to watch Tom Brady play?" I'll be able to swell up with pride and remember these times. Not just with the team, but with all you great people as well. The hilarious threads, the heated discussions, the "WE'RE DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED" and "CAN we got off the field on 3rd down?" posts in the chat room, etc.
Sniff, that was so touching - OMYGAWD My Wallet!

NovaScotiaPatsFan said:

Oh man. I know NEM has me beat. But, I've been watching the Pats since I was a kid in the 70s. I was in college when they finally made it to the big dance in 1986. I worked part time at a convenience store and had to work that day. I watched SB XX on a 5 in. b&w TV. But, it was so much fun leading up to that day. And I even had sort of an odd SB party with all the fans, yahoos and "bandwagoners" of that time coming in to get beer etc. for their SB parties.

Last edited:
I got into a heated argument with one of my buddies this summer (Jets fan). He said that we would not make the playoffs because over the offseason "we got worse while EVERYONE else in the AFC got better." I argued that we would be one of the top 3- seeds in the AFC (i said that i thought we'd win the division, but would not get a bye). He said that we would be 8-8. Anyway, after going back and forth he said "it's no use arguing with you because you just don't think you can ever lose." I told him that I honestly thought that we could compete and if we got in the playoffs, i like our chances. I didn't say we DEFINITELY would win the whole thing--I said that I like our chances. I went into detail about why, but he refused to listen. Sunday night he called and said that he wouldn't take any QB over Brady and that we were probably going to win it again this year. I smiled. I didn't say "I told you so" or anything like that. I'm not just going to say that my teams are the best. But if I believe it, I'll stand by it. You should too!

Mosi Moose said:
I got into a heated argument with one of my buddies this summer (Jets fan). He said that we would not make the playoffs because over the offseason "we got worse while EVERYONE else in the AFC got better." I argued that we would be one of the top 3- seeds in the AFC (i said that i thought we'd win the division, but would not get a bye). He said that we would be 8-8. Anyway, after going back and forth he said "it's no use arguing with you because you just don't think you can ever lose." I told him that I honestly thought that we could compete and if we got in the playoffs, i like our chances. I didn't say we DEFINITELY would win the whole thing--I said that I like our chances. I went into detail about why, but he refused to listen. Sunday night he called and said that he wouldn't take any QB over Brady and that we were probably going to win it again this year. I smiled. I didn't say "I told you so" or anything like that. I'm not just going to say that my teams are the best. But if I believe it, I'll stand by it. You should too!

Good work there. Do ya think you can get the Red Sox back into the post season? Or, do you care? :cool3:

The media hates fans because we are fans. We seem to call them on the stupid crap the say and write about our teams and they don't like it.

Sometime you get this: "Your just a bias fan. I'm an objective media person. So, even if what I say or write is wrong , it's objective."

It's the usual media/fan disconnect. I also think these clowns feel the need to be extra critical so that they appear to be non-homers. They feel the need to compete with the NY writers so they go out of their way to feign objectivity by denigrating the team and the fans. It's been said too, that there are a lot of nouveau-Pats fans that help cloud the issue and make it easy for them to do so.

CTPatsFan said:
It's the usual media/fan disconnect. I also think these clowns feel the need to be extra critical so that they appear to be non-homers. They feel the need to compete with the NY writers so they go out of their way to feign objectivity by denigrating the team and the fans. It's been said too, that there are a lot of nouveau-Pats fans that help cloud the issue and make it easy for them to do so.

I couldn't agree more. Media scum confuse slamming the home team with objectivity. Anyone catch Andy Hart on Felger's show last night? Apparently, he's a graduate of the Ron Borges School of Negativity. I don't expect media members to be blatant homers. But at the same time, this is sports. It's supposed to be a fun diversion from real life. Why not treat it like that? Analyze the game. Tell people what the Patriots need to do to win or what Denver might be able to exploit. But don't sit there and tell everyone the Pats have no chance and you're a silly fan if you think otherwise.

The ironic thing is, THEY have been the wrong ones about this practically every year. Who picks the Colts "objectively" every year? It must be very annoying being so wrong so much of the time. I guess that's why they lash out.;)

And all the while it's been this teams success that has been lining these clowns pockets and elevating their profiles. I think for that reason the clowns at Patriots Football Weekly annoy me the most, and Felger is fast becoming a close second.

NovaScotiaPatsFan said:

Absolutely!!! So touching!!! Go Patriots!!!

As an unbiased Colts fans, I will say that all teams have their yahoos. There are a lot of bandwagon Patriots fans that only put their 2 cents of info up as, "Well come back and say something when your team has won 3 Superbowls in 4 years." They give a lot of Patriot fans a bad name. Since they are the most outspoken, arrogant, misinformed fans, that's who others see. They don't see the quality fans who have hung on through the bad years to be proud as their team has finally reached the peak to win a championship. I visit this board for good football insight, sometimes I get it and sometimes I get in a words war with some moron who thinks his team hung the moon. If opposing fans come here for some real football talk, they won't be disappointed. If they pay attention to every simpleton who has a different hat after every Superbowl and says that he knew they'd win it all after not saying word one, then they're in for an argument of futility.

Mosi Moose said:

I had very similar conversations with a Jets fan and a Phins fan on the Pats ESPN Message board. In the end, I got them to put their money where their mouth was. In the case of the Jets fan, it cost him $40. In the case of the Phins fan, his posting priveleges for a year (he said his wife would appreciate that *LOL*). The Patriots have actually treated me well. Every time I have made a bet with co-workers, I have been on the winning end of it.

Anyways, the Patriots have more than earned our faith and, while there are homers, I have found many Pats fans to be some of the most educated about football and are willing to point out when other teams are better at particular positions.

Last edited:
mgteich said:
Only you can make you feel that way. You are responsible for how you feel :)

Do I owe you $80 for this pearl of wisdom or do I pay at the next session:D

Mosi Moose said:

Someone I've known for 7 years on a non football message board (who isn't a troll) posted this great prediction back when they were 6-4.

"There are 7 teams in the AFC with the same record or better, 5 have a better record, and 2 with the same record. Granted, they will *probably* win their division, thus earning a playoff spot, but they already won't have home field advantage, and most likely will lose miserably in the first round."

I haven't got around to bringing that thread back up over there but, I will before the end of the week. :D

Warhorse said:
As an unbiased Colts fans, I will say that all teams have their yahoos. There are a lot of bandwagon Patriots fans that only put their 2 cents of info up as, "Well come back and say something when your team has won 3 Superbowls in 4 years."
I'm not a bandwagon patriot fan. I've been a Pats fan since they were the Boston patriots and had a blue bat on their helmets. I can discuss the pats and footlball intellilgently, but I have to say when greeted by moronic Colts posters that say they have the best team on the decade, best whatever, I tell them to come back when they've won a few Superbowls.

It isn't the trait of a yahoo to tell the fan of a wannabe team that his team is still a wannabe. A yahoo is the Colts fan who has seen his team beaten into submission time after time, year after year, and still says, "We're the greatest." A yahoo is the colts fan who looks to last november as proof that the colts are now dominant (for him dominant means they won one of the last six or seven times we met).

You have proved nothing. If you want to think that people who point out how you team has done nothing but accumulate useles stats, so be it. Anything that makes you feel better.

I just don't agree with a lot of you. It's the job of some in the media to give their opinion. Whether you agree with it or not, it doesn't matter. Point in case. You all complain about EEI but apparently you still listen to them because you talk about them every single day, right? You make it sound like these people just fell out of bed and got a job. They all went to college and I'm sorry just because you write something on a message board doesn't mean you can do what they do. I respect and envy a lot of them. They get to follow football for a living and I know Tom Casale at PFW is always saying how he is the luckiest man in the world because he gets to do what he does. I'm sorry, I'm not trying to start trouble but in my opinion there is a difference between Borges who just says stuff and the guys at PFW - who I think do a great job- who give their honest opinion on the radio. Plus, if you get PFW, they are all excellent writers. That paper is really a great read. You can't fault people for saying what they think if they honestly believe it and back it up. Casale of PFW liked the Jags last week and gave a lot of reasons why but in the end he said, "But I hope I'm wrong and I'll still be rooting like hell for the Patriots." Is that disrespect? He was just giving his opinion. I just don't think we should lump everyone in as "the media" or that's the same as them lumping all us in as "stupid fans." One last point, their pockets don't get lined if the Patriots win. Those guys make the same amount of money whether the Patriots win or lose. It's a salary position, it's not based on commission. Anyway, like I said, I'm not trying to start trouble but I don't think we should put everyone in the media in Ron Borges' class. Guys like that are just idiots who say things just to be controversial. There are plenty of good writers out there besides Mike Reiss. Just my opinion. Go Pats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes