Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

When did BB start figuring this season out?

• When he saw the schedule early in the year

Votes: 6 9.8%
  • When he lost Harrison and Light

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • When he gave up on Starks and Beisel

Votes: 20 32.8%
  • When Bruschi came back

Votes: 12 19.7%
  • He took it one game at a time, and never thought ahead

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Other

Votes: 5 8.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patters

Staff member
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I don't believe for a second that BB thinks one game ahead, but he thinks it's vital for the players to think that way. I think BB was strategizing the season early on.

It was all the 'Rope-a-Dope', baby!

Probably after his team stopped playing the Carolina's, Denver's, Indy's and San Diego's of the league and started playing the Bills, Jets and New Orleans.
A month and a half ago did you guys honestly think there was any chance that you would lose to any of those cupcakes besides KC?
And now you are elated?
I don't get it.

The Bucanneers are cupcakes? Credibilty thy name is not Closingtime!

Timing is everything, Clementine. It's how you gel and play at the end, not the beginning or middle that is important.

Just ask the 15-1 regular season 2004 Steelers or the 2003 Chiefs (began season 9-0), George Foreman, Tom Dewey, the '78 Red Sox, Gary Coleman, KC and the Sunshine Band.......

Last edited:
It's also who you play, just ask those two "great" NFC North teams touting 9 and 6 game winning streaks. Guess no one realized those wins came against the Browns, Lions, Packers, SF, etc.

He had it figured out all along.

I'm serious. He's BB.

(Of course I write this as I'm faithfully dug into Lavin's 1st book)

Last edited:
ClosingTime said:
Probably after his team stopped playing the Carolina's, Denver's, Indy's and San Diego's of the league and started playing the Bills, Jets and New Orleans.
A month and a half ago did you guys honestly think there was any chance that you would lose to any of those cupcakes besides KC?
And now you are elated?
I don't get it.

Ah, have you paid attention?

We played the majority of the games this season with some variation of the following starters out for the game at these positions:

SS (7 different starters), RC, 2 ILB, DE

Offense
RT,LT,C,#2 #3#4 WR, #1 #2 #3 RB, #1 #2 TE

We have street free agents landing on the IR after all the other Backups got hurt.

We outright dominated the cupcakes like an elite team should, I was weary of the Jets and Bills game holding my reserve for the TB game but that showed all of us that our offense can beat any Defense in the league and Our D can shutdown an above average Run game and limit a great run game. Turn a blind eye if you want too but this defense is starting to do the things that made them so great over the past 2 years. Stop the run, get after the QB, force turnovers and make teams one dimensional. That is why we are all elated at beating the cupcakes. This team is one garbage time TD and one chin strap debacle away from not allowing a TD in its last 4 games. I don't know what team you root for but no team in the AFC should doubt this Patriots team.

Patters said:
I don't believe for a second that BB thinks one game ahead, but he thinks it's vital for the players to think that way. I think BB was strategizing the season early on.

I asked Miss Gcat as a joke and she said, "darling, don't you think he had it figured out from the beginning?". I deduce that my ramblings are subliminally sinking in.
My guess is that he has never been clueless about the season, rather that his hand has been forced by the circumstances. Letting the D off the leash seems to have been the big one for me, though.

I don't believe there was a defining moment or player returning or leaving that made this team suddenly get it. It was a combination of a ton of things.

For most of the year the coaches had little faith in the defense, mostly the secondary and were taking the safer route with gameplanning and scheming because the guys they plugged in didn't give them confidence to consistently know where they should be etc...

With bruschi's return and gaining form, vrabel inside, colvin stepping up, seymour returning, wilfork upping his game. Hobbs solidifying the 2nd cb position and Stone/Hawkins (hawkins more so than stone) stepping in and solidifying to some degree the SS position, Wilson's job was made easier with a consistent veteran in Hawkins at safety so his game started to come back not having to worry about where his teammate was. The team started to gel, the players gained the coaches confidence, the front 7 started to play like it could, the coaches opened up the schemes with the faith in the defense to be where they needed to be.

A combination of several factors has, in my mind, brought this defense back to being able to put up a tough fight against any opponent

Last edited:
shmessy said:
The Bucanneers are cupcakes? Credibilty thy name is not Closingtime!

Timing is everything, Clementine. It's how you gel and play at the end, not the beginning or middle that is important.

Just ask the 15-1 regular season 2004 Steelers or the 2003 Chiefs (began season 9-0), George Foreman, Tom Dewey, the '78 Red Sox, Gary Coleman, KC and the Sunshine Band.......

Or ask the 1998 Broncos. Or 1990 Giants. Or 1984 49ers.

Or 2005 Colts.

Bucs are slightly about cupcakes but not much as they're playing mostly NFC cupcakes. Maybe a full cake. Carrot i would imagine.

Tony Collins said:

Or 2005 Colts.

Have the colts won anything yet? So you don't know which category they will be in do you?

Win the SB then come back, but in the meantime go back to a colts board and have your little 49 touchdown ***********!

Do yourself and your fellow colts fans a favor and atleast win 1 superbowl before you come back here appointing them the superbowl champions in the same category as the 1998 Broncos. Or 1990 Giants. Or 1984 49ers!

I hope you're no older then 12!

mgcolby said:
Have the colts won anything yet? So you don't know which category they will be in do you?

Win the SB then come back, but in the meantime go back to a colts board and have your little 49 touchdown ***********!

Do yourself and your fellow colts fans a favor and atleast win 1 superbowl before you come back here appointing them the superbowl champions in the same category as the 1998 Broncos. Or 1990 Giants. Or 1984 49ers!

I hope you're no older then 12!

Just have a feeling that's how it's gonna be.

ClosingTime said:
And now you are elated?
I don't get it.

Ok, wait..wait wait..hee hee...wait...no..wait wait..

A Colts fan is denigrating the "Strength of Schedule" of the Patriots?

Isn't that like Barbra Streisand telling someone to get a nose job?

Tony Collins said:

Or 2005 Colts.

One of these things is not like the others...

dude had it figured out during the offseason...any of a number of marginally injured players could have gone in earlier games, but as soon as the jets, bills and phins tanked, he started playing for late season...

back to back 19 game seasons took their toll on this team, but now we are back to near where we should be...

shmessy said:
It was all the 'Rope-a-Dope', baby!

So his plan was to sign two LB busts (Beisel and Brown) and then have Rodney tear up his knee and go on IR along with half a dozen other players?

SoonerPatriot said:
So his plan was to sign two LB busts (Beisel and Brown) and then have Rodney tear up his knee and go on IR along with half a dozen other players?
Yeah, that was his plan. It was also his plan not to have a first round bye and to have to beat Indy in their phonydome to win the Super Bowl. You know, the degree of difficulty factor? Winning Super Bowls the "easy" way was just getting too boring. :rolleyes:

PromisedLand said:
Yeah, that was his plan. It was also his plan not to have a first round bye and to have to beat Indy in their phonydome to win the Super Bowl. You know, the degree of difficulty factor? Winning Super Bowls the "easy" way was just getting too boring. :rolleyes:

(Sigh) I have explained this is many other threads, but perhaps I have to do it all over again to make it clear:

The "rope-a-dope" is a strategy not born from choice but from desperation or temporary hopelessness. For those of you young'uns Muhammad Ali used it against George Foreman in the "Rumble in the Jungle" in 1974.

Before he became all cuddly, bald and a grill salesman, Foreman was Mike Tyson with height. He was scary dangerous and talented. Many thought Ali was taking his life in his own hands just getting in the ring with this beast.

In the early rounds (unbeknownst to his own handlers) Ali switched from his strategy to the "rope-a-dope". Just lying back against the ropes and blocking his face while Foreman whaled away at him. He took a vicious beating THAT ANY SANE PERSON WOULD NEVER CHOOSE TO TAKE. However he knew that he didn't have the power and ability (the"personnel"?) to go toe to toe with Foreman in the early rounds. He, therefore kept it conservative and covered up ("no blitzing"?) until Foreman grew tired and Ali could then rely on his superior stamina ("getting his personnel back for the stretch run" or "better depth"?) to then switch on the light and start dealing shots at Foreman.

The rest is history as Foreman hit the canvas in Round 8.

Obviously, anyone with eyes can see that BB was not blitzing or even shifting D players in games 4 through 11. So, Sooner and Promised, I never ever wrote that this was something BB "CHOSE" to do at his discretion. It was something he did out of desperation for the situation at hand. By keeping the D plan simple for the newbies, they were able to hang in and beat Buffalo and New Orleans at home, Atlanta and Miami on the road, while accepting the body shots from SD,Denver, KC and Indy.

Had BB not adopted the more simple D plans, the newbies may have been so lost, that even cupcake teams like Buffalo, Miami and New Orleans could have upset them. It's weird, but in retrospect, we might look back on those mid-season "cupcake" wins as crucial "buying time" and "staying in the race" wins. They weren't glamorous or awe inspiring, but they were what kept us afloat. And we won them because BB didn't overload the newbies. He "rope-a-doped" those wins.

Once they got Bruschi back to 100%, Seymour back, Vrabel up to snuff at his new position and Hobbs comfortable in the league and Hawkins ensconced at Safety, a bunch of the players were able to lobby Mangini before the Jets game to take off the shackles (I believe Colvin blurted this out to the press).

Mangini and BB acceded to this, feeling that the timing was right and the correct personnel was ready and healthy enough to do it.

But if you want to continue to ridicule this as "BB wanting to lose enough games so we would have to go on the road to Indy in the playoffs" then have your fun.

Last edited:
Somehow got randomly placed in this thread. Remember when Bruschi came back half way thru the season that was great

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back