PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

When Denver was blitzing, I wonder why...

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldrover

"You're gonna have to serve somebody..."
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
...Brady didn't call more slants and quick outs. Seems those kind of plays NEVER get called by the Pats anymore... every time Brady drops back, it's seven steps and looking downfield. :confused:

oldrover said:
...Brady didn't call more slants and quick outs. Seems those kind of plays NEVER get called by the Pats anymore... every time Brady drops back, it's seven steps and looking downfield. :confused:

I wondered the same thing at the time. A draw or 2 would have been nice as well. Didn't seem like they put a good game plan together to counter the blitz. But they had to expect it.

Well, I think the game plan was to pick up and get the ball up the field.
With 340 passing yards its hard to say it was necessarily a poor game plan.

There are many things that could have been better, but if you eliminate turning the ball over, everything else was good enough to win.

AndyJohnson said:

not sure i agree with this correlation.

There are many things that could have been better, but if you eliminate turning the ball over, everything else was good enough to win.

sure. but brady got battered. maybe he doesn't throw those picks if he doesn't spend so much time under that much pressure.

AndyJohnson said:

Disagree. I was also wondering why not more quick slants or screens against the blitz. I finally saw a couple in the third quarter.

IMO the failure to deal with the blitz led directly to the loss of this game. We were about to go ahead, down 10-6 and inside the 10, when Brady threw the pick that turned the game around. You may recall he had been knocked down and beat around pretty badly during the game to that point, mostly due to blitzing Broncos. On the play in question he was again under pressure from a blitzer coming around left tackle, and was forced to sprint out to his right and throw on the run.

Carefully watching the replays of that play, Brown was open when Brady threw the ball, but the throw was behind him whiched forced him to slow down and turn back toward the pass, and gave Bailey the opportunity to make the game-changing interception.

More than Blitz

I think the plan was to try to get the Denver Safeties to back off the line of scrimage. This would have helped the run game as well. In the first half I think the plan was to try to burn Denver deep by picking up the Blitz and making the plays hopefully making Denver drop back.

Belicheck stayed with the plan the first half because the game was estentially tied and want to be able to free the running game.

Why weren't blockers kept in the backfield more to block?

The question speaks for itself.

Also, the guards had bad games, creating seams for blitzers by crashing down to doubleteam defensive linemen. Just look at the play where Brady threw the terrible pick: Logan crashed down on the defensive tackle in a double team with Hochstein. Makes me miffed. Those Broncos defensive linemen weren't going to disrupt anything; it was all linebackers and secondary blitzing.

Lack of discipline on the O-line. Very disappointing. Quick, someone give me Dante's e-mail so I can vent to the O-line coach.

LA Pats Fan said:
I think the plan was to try to get the Denver Safeties to back off the line of scrimage. This would have helped the run game as well. In the first half I think the plan was to try to burn Denver deep by picking up the Blitz and making the plays hopefully making Denver drop back.

Belicheck stayed with the plan the first half because the game was estentially tied and want to be able to free the running game.

Short, quick passing game would have accomplished this. I don't know why they didn't use it more, but I figure there is a reason.

But no doubt the blitz hurt the pass and the run, and it seems like more could have been done to relieve all that pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back