Welcome to PatsFans.com

When Bush was inaugerated Gas was $1.46 per gallon..

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, Jul 16, 2008.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +267 / 10 / -26

I know I am misinformed about this, but saw this bumper sticker the other day and got to do some thinking.. it is true.. the avg. price of gas in Jan of 2001 was $1.47 per gallon.. yesterday is was about $4.15.. thought it may have been a reaction to 9/11 but prices stayed pretty steady for about two years after 9/11, so that can't be true.. maybe Phil Gramm is right we are all a bunch of whiners.. paying 3X the price of gas is time to suck it up and just take it. Yesterday the price of heating oil was about $4.70 and our local electrical utility just got a 21% rate hike.. there is something happening here..

Here is a chart you can play with.. always amazed how it goes down when there are elections check out '04 and '06.. so get ready to fill up in October.. before all the righties need to correct my spelling I know inaugurate is the correct spelling, mea culpa..

http://www.newsday.com/business/loc...es-historical_price_charts,0,5356095.htmlpage
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2008
  2. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Bush shares some blame, but there's much more going on in the bigger picture that you can't just pin it all on him.
  3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +554 / 2 / -9

Congress doesn't even want to talk about it they would like to see it get worse and then blame it all on Bush.

Drilling for oil should have started back when Bill was getting his blow jobs.
  4. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +194 / 4 / -6

Bush has been terribly inept. Considering that he's an oil man, with great contacts within the industry, and that he has staked his foreign policy success on events in the ME, one would have expected that he would have more influence than he does. But, instead, I think because of the Iraq war we are actually more dependent on our oil-producing allies in the ME than we have ever been, which is reducing our leverage. In addition, the fact that we have not taken the energy supply crisis more seriously means that the suppliers don't have to worry about competition from alternative energy for years to come.

Bush has not developed any sort of comprehensive energy strategy, which leaves us at the mercy of the oil producers. Even Carter, during the OPEC criss, delivered major speeches on conserving fuel, switching to coal (which of course is controversial, too), and demanding that utilities companies reduce oil consumption (through coal and other energy sources) by 50% over a ten year period. What has Bush done?
  5. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Nothing, which is why I said that he shares some of the blame. But China's and India's ever increasing demand for oil isn't his fault. The non-existent energy policies of the administrations previous to him aren't his fault. He did nothing you're right, but it's not all his fault.
  6. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +781 / 4 / -4

#75 Jersey

I wonder why VP Cheney has been fighting all the way to the Supreme Court to keep the records of his closed door 2002 Energy Policy Commission (made up ONLY of oil executives) secret.
  7. Patters

Ratings:
    +194 / 4 / -6

Yes, I agree, it's not all his fault, but oil prices had remained relatively steady up until around 2002. You would think that an administration with the type of expertise and interest in energy and oil like Bush and Cheney supposedly have, would have been more attuned to the change in the oil markets and would have certainly developed a comprehensive plan by now and used the bully pulpit to try to push it through Congress. There is no plan to speak of. There was no oil crisis under Clinton, Bush I, or Reagan, so they didn't deal with it. Nixon and Carter dealt with OPEC's decision to cut oil production, Nixon by promoting oil independence and Carter by promoting conservation and creating the Dept. of Energy. Bush has done almost nothing. It's kind of incredible. He gets most of the blame simply for not trying. I don't think you can find a parallel in modern American history with this level of ineptitude.
  8. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +438 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

Bush can be blamed to disrupting the middle east and increasing the risk premium on oil. Other than that it's not his fault. No new domestic oil, no new domestic refineries and massive increased world demand.
  9. shmessy

Ratings:
    +781 / 4 / -4

#75 Jersey

Funny, he didn't lift the Executive Moratorium on offshore Drilling until 7.5 years into his Administration.

The first 6 years, he had a Republican Congress.

After the 2004 election he said "The people have given me a mandate and I intend to SPEND it"

My question to you then, BF, is exactly where the FLUCK was this guy for the first 7.5 years regarding this (not to mention the first 6 with a Republican Congress)??????

Oh yeah, I forgot - - he HAD a plan - - the oil revenues from the freed Iraq were going to bring down the price and pay for all our expenditures on the war - - his advisors told him so.
  10. shmessy

Ratings:
    +781 / 4 / -4

#75 Jersey

Furthermore, oil is denominated in US dollars.

What has happened to the US dollar???? Ask the OPEC Chief what HE thinks is the reason for the high price of oil. He's been telling us, but it makes us feel bad :(

We USED to have a President who said "The buck stops here".
  11. Patters

Ratings:
    +194 / 4 / -6

The massive increase in world demand is certainly a primary cause of the price increase, so the oil crisis is not his fault. What is his fault is that he has failed to address the issue even during the years he had a Republican Congress. Why didn't he make a bigger push for ANWR then? Why hasn't he addressed this crisis in a comprehensive fashion in the years since 2002? Do you have an explanation for that?
  12. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +438 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

Oh for the love of God, now the Liberals are in favor of drilling in ANWR ? You can't blame Bush for high gas prices and then blame him for not doing something that you were against - or were you in favor of drilling ANWR then ? You guys make my head hurt.
  13. shmessy

Ratings:
    +781 / 4 / -4

#75 Jersey

We're not - - but we can see a hypocritical liar when we see one - - he waited 7.5 years - - the first 6 of which he had a Republican Congress (and a "mandate" after the 2004 election he "intended to spend").

His last minute political play is pure bullsh!t and you KNOW it.
  14. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +344 / 3 / -13

This is the MOST bothersome story I have heard in decades. That is how serious this is. Can ANYONE explain how records from a meeting between our federal government and the oil industry can possibly be kept secret?

Can anyone explain how and why the supreme court would support keeping these records secret? Isn't the supreme court required to state why they support keeping them secret?

I know this is just the opinion of one democrat, but I think one of our top priorities should be getting these records released to the public. That is how horrific I think this story is.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/LAW/04/27/scotus.cheney/index.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/11/15/AR2005111501842.html
  15. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +173 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

Twice the congress voted againts drilling in Awar. In the Senate you have to have a 60 vote majority to assure that a bill gets voted on. Then there are my 2 Senators, both Repulicans, who seem to care more about caribou than people. So congress is public enemy #1 in this. Everyone does not have clean hands but congress is the dirtiest.

Hate can blind people to facts. I've never seen such hatred of a President as there is for Bush. Also, in 1996 a bill was passed to drill for oil in Anwar and Cliton vetoed it. That oil would be at the pumps now.

There is enough blame to go around but to blame Bush for this is unfair and not factual.
  16. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +438 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

Shmessy has been lecturing us on when a majority isn't really a majority (in terms of being able to get things done) so I just sit back and laugh.

If I were God, we would have been drilling, we would have been using our abundant coal resources, working on oil shale retrieval technology - and, yes, alternative, clean sources too. I'll agree Bush didn't push the agenda of coal, drilling and shale as much as I'd have liked but they wouldn't have gotten passed regardless.
  17. Patters

Ratings:
    +194 / 4 / -6

I'm certainly not in favor of drilling in ANWR, and can't imagine how you interpreted that from what I said. I'm simply pointing out that he did not aggressively and consistently push for it when he had a Republican Congress. How do you explain that? What has he done since 2002 to address the energy crisis? Can you answer that, or are trying to change the subject?
  18. shmessy

Ratings:
    +781 / 4 / -4

#75 Jersey

Facts are stubborn things.

From Bush's own Energy Department - - not sure whether this was under Spencer Abraham or Samuel Bodman:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4542853/
  19. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +344 / 3 / -13

Wow...taking a shot at Clinton as a knee-jerk reaction to blaming Bush?

Hmmm, if I recall, gas was 89 cents/gallon in 1999...yes, that is fact.

In 1996, there was no reason to believe we needed to drill in Anwar. World turmoil was at a minimum due to a stable & peaceful foreign policy.

Did you forget?
  20. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +344 / 3 / -13

I don't think we can be sure who to "blame" until we get those SECRET RECORDS of the meeting between Cheney and the oil executives released.

That is one of the most important tasks we have at hand right now. Let's find out what kind of discussion needed to be kept secret.

This shouldn't be too difficult. The gov. can't really keep meetings with public companies a secret. After all, Oil is just another industry just like any other. It's not like they are a part of our government or are due special circumstances under our law.

Anyone dare to say otherwise?