PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

When are first roster cuts....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots4Ever

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Was just wondering when the first roster cut is,And how many need to be let go.Thanks

They are after the 3rd game.
Rosters have to be cut to 75 players with NO roster exemptions.

http://www.patriots.com/search/index.cfm?ac=searchdetail&pid=20422&pcid=41

Roster Reduction Dates
The first mandatory roster cutdown date is August 29, two days prior to the Patriots' final preseason game. On that date, rosters must be reduced to 75 players, not including roster exempt players. On Saturday, Sept. 2, all roster exemptions will expire and rosters must be reduced to the regular-season limit of 53 players. On Sept. 3, clubs may establish an eight-man practice squad.

By "roster exempt players," they must mean reserve lists, because NFLE exemptions are longer valid on the first cut.

In years past, the first cut was to 65, but NFLE exemptions didn't expire until the second and final cut.

pats1 said:
http://www.patriots.com/search/index.cfm?ac=searchdetail&pid=20422&pcid=41

By "roster exempt players," they must mean reserve lists, because NFLE exemptions are longer valid on the first cut.

In years past, the first cut was to 65, but NFLE exemptions didn't expire until the second and final cut.
"On that date, rosters must be reduced to 75 players, not including roster exempt players. " THAT I do not understand..roster exempt players ARE the NFLE players...so???? Reserve lists never count..so??? Where did one read that the NFLE players count now on the first cut?? I tend to think that may NOT be the case..the ONLY Roster exempt players I have ever known about are those from the NFLE...might mean a big difference..in just trimming players this year. Can't see any advantage of this "new" rule...doesn't help at all. (I thought Reiss had the rulings and dates on this..BUT??? could not find in the archives...)

Last edited:
Pats726 said:
"On that date, rosters must be reduced to 75 players, not including roster exempt players. " THAT I do not understand..roster exempt players ARE teh NFLE players...so???? Reserve lists never count..so??? Where did you read that the NFLE players count now on the first cut?? I tend to think that may NOT be the case..the ONLY Roster exempt players I have ever known about are those from the NFLE...might mean a big difference..in just trimming players this year. Can't see any advantage of this "new" rule...doesn't help at all.

Pats726, prior to this year, there were 2 cut downs prior to the final cut down to 53.

Now, there is only 1 cut down. The cut down to 75.

The article that Pats1 mentioned was wrong in that the NFLE Roster exemptions do NOT count after the 1st cut down. In other words, the Patriots have to cut like 13 players prior to the last game.

One of the reasons behind this is that the NFL doesn't want teams only dressing 38-40 people for the last pre-season game. From an NFLPA standpoint, it can be as many as 10 more players (per team) who get a pay check for another week.

This was all part of the new CBA.

Last edited:
Digging back through the PatsFans archives...

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=33512

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2389062

There was one significant change in the roster cutdown before the start of the season and one after the final cutdown.

In a vote of 29-3, owners allowed teams to keep 75 instead of 65 players on their roster in the first cutdown, which is annually the Tuesday after the third preseason weekend. The trade off was the NFL Europe exemptions that allowed teams to bring more players to camp expire at that time. The reason for the change is simple. For the most part, the NFL Europe players weren't going to make the team but teams keep them to the final cut in order to have bigger rosters for the preseason finale.

Now, teams can cut the NFL Europe players in the next to last cut and have 10 extra players who could either make the team or be candidates for the practice squad.

The second part of the roster proposals is that the eight-member practice squad was extended four years to 2009. Before last season, teams could only keep five players on the practice squad.

Last edited:
DaBruinz said:
Pats726, prior to this year, there were 2 cut downs prior to the final cut down to 53.

Now, there is only 1 cut down. The cut down to 75.

Actually, IIRC it has only been 2 the last few years. 65, then 53.

Last edited:
OK...Thank you!!!! That really clarifies it.....Understand it now!!!!..and that makes sense.....before it was 65 + the NFLE ers....now it is 75 including NFLE players...makes a final cut of 22 players which is a bit large....VERY interesting...Thanks!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back