PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

When a video-dvd with the full history of the Patriots ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

italian pat patriot

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
i would love it (if possible with 'many hours') from day n.1...

let's hope one day (soon) we will have this opportunity

also i will appreciate a book, bigger and season per season, like it was 'Tales from the Patriots sidelines'

any chances ?
what do you think ?

italianpatthepatriot said:
i would love it (if possible with 'many hours') from day n.1...

let's hope one day (soon) we will have this opportunity

also i will appreciate a book, bigger and season per season, like it was 'Tales from the Patriots sidelines'

any chances ?
what do you think ?

We're not done yet comes to mind!:D Agree, tho' hopefully many years from now!

perhaps for the 50th years ? so...2009-2010 ?

still to wait so long ?

italianpatthepatriot said:
perhaps for the 50th years ? so...2009-2010 ?

still to wait so long ?

You won't find a lot of video of the early days.

However, tales from the Patriots sideline was written by felger from Wisconsin.

There aren't a lot left who could really tell the tale.

Ron Hobson of the Quincy Patriot Ledger is one. Who else?

RayClay said:
You won't find a lot of video of the early days.

However, tales from the Patriots sideline was written by felger from Wisconsin.

There aren't a lot left who could really tell the tale.

Ron Hobson of the Quincy Patriot Ledger is one. Who else?

it's kind of a mystery why the definitive pats history hasn't been written yet.

I would love to see something like that too........ It would be great for young fans like myself and would really help me to appreciate what they are doing now more.

I'm 23 and I really don't remember much before Bledsoe.

I lived in Massachusetts until i was 6 or 7 and my dad used to take me to games where he had season tickets in the end zone. I just don't remember much of anything except the fights in the stands, the 2 lunatics sitting in front of me who would kick over their beers everytime the pats scored, and the guy who lit the paper bag on fire that the Saints fan was wearing on his head it said "Aints" on it.

I would love to know what i don't remember and what i wasn't alive to see

Keegs said:
I would love to see something like that too........ It would be great for young fans like myself and would really help me to appreciate what they are doing now more.

I'm 23 and I really don't remember much before Bledsoe.

I lived in Massachusetts until i was 6 or 7 and my dad used to take me to games where he had season tickets in the end zone. I just don't remember much of anything except the fights in the stands, the 2 lunatics sitting in front of me who would kick over their beers everytime the pats scored, and the guy who lit the paper bag on fire that the Saints fan was wearing on his head it said "Aints" on it.

I would love to know what i don't remember and what i wasn't alive to see

I remember those 'aints' bags - that was funny. their team was so god awful back then. for the first time in quite awhile, I think the saints may be actually starting to turn the corner towards some respectability now.

SamBam39 said:
it's kind of a mystery why the definitive pats history hasn't been written yet.

With apologies to Cecil B. DeMille, a feature film based on the early Patriots, (ending with the current team of course), would be the greatest story ever told.

Talk about truth being stranger than fiction.

http://www.rextrailer.tv/ This guy used to have a sidekick named Pablo.

Strange but True AFL Stories

"
THE WILDMAN VERSUS THE CLOWN

LARRY "Wildman" EISENHAUER, DE Boston Patriots 1961-69
Larry Eisenhauer was nicknamed "Wildman" by his Patriot teammates because he liked to do wild things. Such as running out onto Kansas City's snow-covered Municipal Stadium field clad in only his helmet and jockstrap. Or his hitting his head on metal locker doors. Or ramming his forearms thru locker room walls to psyche himself up. Yet this was nothing as compared to one of the AFL's goofier episodes — a cruel tackle of a clown!

It involved the rookie six-foot five-inch, 255-pound defensive end Eisenhauer and a middle-aged, five-foot three-inch, 110-pound clown named Pablo. What makes matters worse is that Eisenhauer’s bruising tackle was captured on film and shown on a popular Boston kiddie show called Boom Town. The show starred Rex Trailer and his comic sidekick, Pablo the Clown.

The Boom Town producers thought it would be funny if skinny Pablo tried out for the Patriots. The Boston players agreed to go along with the gag. Pablo joined the Patriots on the practice field wearing an old-fashioned football uniform.

The script called for a mock scrimmage where Pablo would get the handoff and zigzag his way through the Patriot defense for a touchdown. The producers knew the kids at home would laugh at seeing pro football players running around and falling down as Pablo scampered past them.

The script was good, but the TV people had overlooked one important factor — Eisenhauer. He hadn’t gotten his nickname for nothing. As I said before, Eisenhauer would get so psyched up before a game that he would punch anything, walls, doors, lockers — even his teammates weren’t safe. He once put his helmeted head through a locker room wall in War Memorial Stadium. Unfortunately, the director of the show didn’t know about Wild Man or about his fierce dedication to football.

As the cameras rolled, Pablo began snaking his way through the Patriot defense. Everythig was going smoothly until Pablo scooted down to the 20-yard line past the last defender. It just happened to be Wild Man.

Suddenly, Eisenhauer was overcome by his killer instinct. All he saw was an enemy player running for a touchdown. And he had to stop the enemy. Eisenhauer let out a terrifying roar and charged after the clown.

Poor Pablo. With his eyes as big as footballs, Pablo ran for his life but it was no contest. At about the five-yard line, Eisenhauer jumped on his back and squashed him. Boomed Eisenhauer, “Nobody gets across our goal line. Not even a clown!”

Pablo was buried in the turf, gasping for breath. The TV crew rushed to his aid. Then they turned and chastised Eisenhauer.

“I’m kind of ashamed of it now,” he [admitted]. “But I just couldn’t stand to see anybody score on us if there was a chance I could stop him. He was slow, so it wasn’t any trick catching him. I didn’t really hurt him. I just sort of jumped on his back. Why give the guy a free touchdown?"

Last edited:
SamBam39 said:
I remember those 'aints' bags - that was funny. their team was so god awful back then. for the first time in quite awhile, I think the saints may be actually starting to turn the corner towards some respectability now.
yeah, this crazy bastard crawled down with his index finger over his lips (the universal Sssshhhhh symbol) and just crawled over seats until he got to the guy

then he flipped open his zippo and lit the back of the bag on fire when it was on the dudes head. Pretty creepy when i saw it but now i would laugh my ass off.

there were tons of fights too. And then id go watch the guys get thrown in the waggon.

i just don't remember the games. It was boring then. I usually went to the ones that my dad's friends didn't want to attend... hence the Saints.

RayClay said:
With apologies to Cecil B. DeMille, a feature film based on the early Patriots, (ending with the current team of course), would be the greatest story ever told.

Talk about truth being stranger than fiction.

http://www.rextrailer.tv/ This guy used to have a sidekick named Pablo.

Strange but True AFL Stories

"
THE WILDMAN VERSUS THE CLOWN

LARRY "Wildman" EISENHAUER, DE Boston Patriots 1961-69
Larry Eisenhauer was nicknamed "Wildman" by his Patriot teammates because he liked to do wild things. Such as running out onto Kansas City's snow-covered Municipal Stadium field clad in only his helmet and jockstrap. Or his hitting his head on metal locker doors. Or ramming his forearms thru locker room walls to psyche himself up. Yet this was nothing as compared to one of the AFL's goofier episodes — a cruel tackle of a clown!

It involved the rookie six-foot five-inch, 255-pound defensive end Eisenhauer and a middle-aged, five-foot three-inch, 110-pound clown named Pablo. What makes matters worse is that Eisenhauer’s bruising tackle was captured on film and shown on a popular Boston kiddie show called Boom Town. The show starred Rex Trailer and his comic sidekick, Pablo the Clown.

The Boom Town producers thought it would be funny if skinny Pablo tried out for the Patriots. The Boston players agreed to go along with the gag. Pablo joined the Patriots on the practice field wearing an old-fashioned football uniform.

The script called for a mock scrimmage where Pablo would get the handoff and zigzag his way through the Patriot defense for a touchdown. The producers knew the kids at home would laugh at seeing pro football players running around and falling down as Pablo scampered past them.

The script was good, but the TV people had overlooked one important factor — Eisenhauer. He hadn’t gotten his nickname for nothing. As I said before, Eisenhauer would get so psyched up before a game that he would punch anything, walls, doors, lockers — even his teammates weren’t safe. He once put his helmeted head through a locker room wall in War Memorial Stadium. Unfortunately, the director of the show didn’t know about Wild Man or about his fierce dedication to football.

As the cameras rolled, Pablo began snaking his way through the Patriot defense. Everythig was going smoothly until Pablo scooted down to the 20-yard line past the last defender. It just happened to be Wild Man.

Suddenly, Eisenhauer was overcome by his killer instinct. All he saw was an enemy player running for a touchdown. And he had to stop the enemy. Eisenhauer let out a terrifying roar and charged after the clown.

Poor Pablo. With his eyes as big as footballs, Pablo ran for his life but it was no contest. At about the five-yard line, Eisenhauer jumped on his back and squashed him. Boomed Eisenhauer, “Nobody gets across our goal line. Not even a clown!â€

Pablo was buried in the turf, gasping for breath. The TV crew rushed to his aid. Then they turned and chastised Eisenhauer.

“I’m kind of ashamed of it now,†he [admitted]. “But I just couldn’t stand to see anybody score on us if there was a chance I could stop him. He was slow, so it wasn’t any trick catching him. I didn’t really hurt him. I just sort of jumped on his back. Why give the guy a free touchdown?"

wait until NEM sees this one - he was probably there! LOL!
while those kind of stories are great, it's the actual team's play that most of us would love to see historically documented. what were the teams like. what were the coaches like. why sis they suceed or fail? what was the competition like. what was the organjization like? etc. etc.

SamBam39 said:
wait until NEM sees this one - he was probably there! LOL!
while those kind of stories are great, it's the actual team's play that most of us would love to see historically documented. what were the teams like. what were the coaches like. why sis they suceed or fail? what was the competition like. what was the organjization like? etc. etc.

Contrary to popular myth, the early teams were very competitive, with winning season's in five of the first seven years. They went to the AFL Championship game in 1963, but got smushed by San Diego.

I was young, but I'd be happy to give you my impressions.

I think everynbody played a four man line in those days, with the Fearsome foursome, Purple People Eaters and others gaining fame.

The Patriots had a great defensive line. Bob Dee and Eisenhauer at the ends and Houston Antwine and Jim Lee Hunt at tackles were each all pro, I believe, some of them more many times.

Can't find front office info about the early years and I think Sullivan did a lot of the personnel himself. Bucko Kilroy came along later and he is one of the all time greats.

Whoever picked in these days of low salaries did pretty well. Parilli was a veteran and a damn good one. I'm notsure about Cappelletti, but he was a fine receiver as well as the best FG kicker in the league.

Jim Nance was a monster as a Jerome Bettis type until he gained too much weight. Look at his totals and remember they only played game seasons.

Besides Cappelletti, we had Jimmy Colclough. He was the best receiver IMO.

Of Course we had hall of famer Buoniconti at MLB. He blossomed with Miami.

I always thought he was undersized and overrated, but what do i know.

Jon Morris was a rock at center. The best we've had at that position, I believe.

I remember Garron as a good all purpose back. And of course Holovak is one of the top 3 or 4 coaches and greatly overlooked for his consistency in somewhat trying times.

Remember he had to deal with not knowing where the next home game would be played. Talk about distractions.

Tom Yewcic was a hell of a punter and a decent back up QB.

I'm about tapped, anybody else?

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nfl/nengalnd/patriots.html

Last edited:
Hey, isn't our own Chis Price writing a Pats book?

Bumpety for SamBam and Italianpat.

RayClay said:
Contrary to popular myth, the early teams were very competitive

That's a very good point. And apparently it's a popular myth! Despite many good seasons in the past, the Patriots are a recent phenomenon in New England. For me, that explains why there isn't a definitive history of the team on DVD - there was never a demand for it until recently.

Also, back the in mid-90's, NBC admitted they had destroyed most of their library of NFL games from the 60's and 70's. Bummer.

Murphys95 said:
That's a very good point. And apparently it's a popular myth! Despite many good seasons in the past, the Patriots are a recent phenomenon in New England. For me, that explains why there isn't a definitive history of the team on DVD - there was never a demand for it until recently.

Also, back the in mid-90's, NBC admitted they had destroyed most of their library of NFL games from the 60's and 70's. Bummer.

Probably most of it was on film that deteriorates too. I'm not a scientist, but I'm ptretty sure a lot of film or video needed to be transferred or it would be lost.

The Patriots have had 3 or four good to great periods, with some of the most awful teams in between.

Having grown up with the Pats, I think their founding and survival makes a great, colorful story.

I'd say there were 4 succesful eras. Holovak with Parilli and a great core, 2 with Hannah, (Fairbanks era and Berry era) and the current era, which I'd call Parcells, Belichick.

I know everyone's going to hate me, but I the corps of our early teams were molde by the Tuna.

Of course I don't see our current success without BB and Kraft, but i see a continuation of Parcells teams with BB. Same philosophies and such.

Before Tuna, it was amateur hour.

imho a dvd with the full history will seel really a lot of copies

the fans now seems to really want it (me too)

so...someone shoud do it...

it could be amazing a video from day 1...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back