PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wheatley to IR; DeVree promoted; OLB Darrell Robertson signed to PS [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
We better not see Ellis Hobbs covering kicks after this...T Wheatley ain't comig through that door, atleast not this year.

I've got UDFA fever. :)

(And the only prescription . . .)

Re: Wheatley placed on IR

If he can come back, you have to remember that linebackers tend not to worry about having a heavy, hard blunt object attached to their arm for some reason.:)

True true:D

Re: Wheatley to IR, Devree added to Roster, LB Darrell Robertson signed to PS.

Draft SCout also mentioned a Jason Taylor type player...more in teh way he could play outside and rush the passer....

Nice :) Just what the doctor ordered!

Bot surprised...he had surgery...AND it means that there are probably OTHER injuries forcing this change...Watson/Thomas... ones we have NOT heard about...OR they know DeVree can make catches and will get him in as a target for Cassell

Watson will be IRed win chronic ballaphobia and acute:mad: dropsititis

at what point does this cross into 'ridiculous' territory? How many people can one team have on IR/Out for an extended period, and still be expected to compete?

This is starting to get depressing...

2006 Patriots, 2006 (?) Texans still had a lot more.

For comparison, 2006 Pats on IR:

Don Davis, Barry Gardner, Randall Gay, Tebucky Jones, Josh Miller, Garrett Mills, Mel Mitchell, Patrick Pass, Junior Seau, Ray Ventrone, Ken Walter, Gemara Williams, Eugene Wilson, and Billy Yates.

2008 Pats on IR:

Tom Brady, Sean Crable, Rodney Harrison, Laurence Maroney, Ryan O'Callaghan, Bo Ruud, Kenny Smith, Barry Stokes, Terrence Wheatley, Tank Williams.

Obviously quantity v. quality.

The 2005 Eagles were pretty bad, their post-Super Bowl curse too:

2005 Eagles:

Correll Buckhalter, Sean Considine, Hank Fraley, Paul Grasmanis, Todd Herremans, Justin Jenkins, Dirk Johnson, Jerome McDougle, Donovan McNabb, Todd Pinkston, J.R. Reed, Greg Richmond, Lito Sheppard, Jason Short, Thomas Tapeh, Tra Thomas, Brian Westbrook, plus the whole T.O. saga.

2006 Texans:

Roc Alexander, Jameel Cook, Lionel Dalton, Domanick Davis, Mike Flanagan, Travis Johnson, Alfred Malone, Jerome Mathis, Chris McKenzie, Seth Payne, Wali Rainer, Sage Rosenfels, Lewis Sanders*, Charles Spencer, Ben Steele, Anthony Weaver, and Zach Wiegert.

2006 Jaguars, too:

Dan Connolly*, Donovin Darius, Brent Hawkins, Reggie Hayward, Brian Jones*, Greg Jones, Byron Leftwich, Elton Patterson, Mike Peterson, Chris Roberson, Nick Sorenson, Pat Thomas, Mike Williams, and Tony Williams.

* = future Patriot

2007 Bengals:

Ahmad Brooks, Dan Burks, DeDe Dorsey, Aaron Elling, Eric Ghiaciuc, Eric Henderson, Kenny Irons, Herana-Daze Jones, Adam Kieft, Ethan Kilmer, Lemar Marshall, Caleb Miller, Tab Perry, Brandon Williams, and Madieu Williams.

2007 Texans:

Jon Abbate, Roc Alexander, Shawn Barber, Glenn Earl, Ahman Green, Brandon Harrison, Scott Jackson, Cedric Killings, Jerome Mathis, Steve McKinney, Dunta Robinson, Jason Simmons, Chris Taylor, Fred Weary, and Chris White.

2008 Ravens:

Kyle Boller, Prescott Burgess, P.J. Daniels, Dwan Edwards, Tavares Gooden, Kelly Gregg, Scott Kuhn, Dawan Landry, Derrick Martin, Chris McAlister, Quinn Sypniewski, Kelly Talavou, Demetrius Williams, and Marshal Yanda.

Is Wheatley going to have a chronic problem with that wrist? I understand he has a rod in there and it broke during a college game. I saw his hand dangling and just wondered, will that thing ever be right?

Flashback to May 2, 2008:

Bill Belichick Press Conference - 5/2/2008

Q: Wheatley distanced himself from questions about his wrist. Is that a concern of yours at all?

BB: He played all year last year.

I believe Robertson had some injury issues at draft time.

Crable, Redd, Robertson, and Woods can compete for OLB

next spring.

2006 Patriots, 2006 (?) Texans still had a lot more.

For comparison, 2006 Pats on IR:

Don Davis, Barry Gardner, Randall Gay, Tebucky Jones, Josh Miller, Garrett Mills, Mel Mitchell, Patrick Pass, Junior Seau, Ray Ventrone, Ken Walter, Gemara Williams, Eugene Wilson, and Billy Yates.

2008 Pats on IR:

Tom Brady, Sean Crable, Rodney Harrison, Laurence Maroney, Ryan O'Callaghan, Bo Ruud, Kenny Smith, Barry Stokes, Terrence Wheatley, Tank Williams.

Obviously quantity v. quality.

Basically, what I see here is that when half the team isn't on IR, the Pats go 16-0 and end up in the Super Bowl. :cool:

Basically, what I see here is that when half the team isn't on IR, the Pats go 16-0 and end up in the Super Bowl. :cool:

Well, they weren't devoid of it last year either:

2007 Patriots:

Rosevelt Colvin, Oscar Lua, Mel Mitchell, Sammy Morris, Mike Richardson, Chad Scott, David Thomas, and Mike Wright.

Looks like BB is going with the youth movement and speed versus bringing in vets with experience like Seau and Colvin.

IMHO, we should always have had three TE's active, so DeVrees make sense to me. Counting on Hochstein as the backup and 3rd TE has never seemed right to me.

With regard to LB's, welcome Robertson! It is Monday. If we need to activate a Practice Squad linebacker for the game, we can do that on Friday if there is a need. We now have Redd and Robertson available. Robertson should be considered in the Traning Camp mix next year, along with Redd and Ruud.

I'm not sure why they waited so long on Wheatley.

Looks like BB is going with the youth movement and speed versus bringing in vets with experience like Seau and Colvin.

Roberston got dumped by "The Eskimos". I don't have the same disrespect for CFL may here have, and I like it better than NCAA ball, but come on. Not the greatest sign of "awesome".

The skinny on Roberston:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker

Strengths ....adequate initial quickness and can makes plays in the backfield. Takes sound angles to the ball and closes.....good motor and makes plays in pursuit....balanced and can get over cut blocks. Moves well.....Cuts down the angle to the quarterback by leaning inside and is a relentless pass rusher. Does a consistently good job of getting hands up.....has some experience dropping into coverage and can do so on zone blitzes.....

Weaknesses .....Does not show great lower body strength and is going to have problems holding ground when teams run at him....doesn't show great closing speed when rushing the passer. Relies in quickness too much and doesn't do a great job of setting tackles....Doesn't use hands well enough yet....

Overall .....appeared in 38 games (16 starts) in his first three seasons at Georgia Tech (2004-'06), recording 74 tackles (nine for losses), five sacks and an interception return for a touchdown....showed even more playmaking ability as a senior, starting all 12 games and amassing 33 tackles (16 for losses), 6.5 sacks, two forced fumbles (one of which he returned 32 yards for a TD). Robertson did not workout at the combine due to a right shoulder injury. In March 2004, Robertson underwent surgery to clean out debris in both feet. He also suffered a right wrist fracture as a high school junior in 2002. Robertson plays with a good motor and his recognition skills are improving. He displays good quickness and the athletic ability to contribute as a situational pass rusher....In our opinion, Robertson is worth drafting on Day 2 but only for teams in search of a 3-4 outside linebacker.

Had to leave out quite a bit since this came from pay for info Scouts, Inc.

Last edited:
All Belichick really did was to move a Practice Squad TE to the 53 and picked up Robertson. If a veteran is decided upon, there is still plenty of roster room available. The obvious other potential candidates for the IR are Alexander, Jordan and Lew Sanders.

The running backs are getting healthy, and the team adds a third tight end.

I'm not sure why they waited so long on Wheatley.

They wanted to see how Jason Webster practiced before decided if they needed to rush the rookie back?

Is Wheatley going to have a chronic problem with that wrist? I understand he has a rod in there and it broke during a college game. I saw his hand dangling and just wondered, will that thing ever be right?

It was his other wrist this time.

J D Sal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back