PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wheatley and Wilhite

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trading Hobbs was a mistake, IMO. I don't think he was a good starter, but he would have been more than adequate as a nickel or dime back. More importantly, he was a dynamite kick returner. We stunk in the kick return game last year and I think a lot of that had to do with losing Hobbs.

This year, I'd rather have Hobbs out there as a dime back than Springs, Wilhite or Wheatley.

Third and 7. Ellis Hobbs is 12 yards from the WR. WR catches pass for 10 yd gain and 1st down. Hobbs makes tackle. Hobbs gets up and celebrates. Hobbs helps Patriots more by being in Philly.

What's interesting is that it's been said (Reiss?) that the players think that Wheatley is a better CB than Wilhite.

I've never seen that said.

And to be honest, I don't care what they think. They aren't the coaches.

damn...can't edit:
I think there are a few dnp's I wanted to add.
w13 - springs
w15 - butler
w16 - butler
w17 - bodden

yeah, so it looks like after those first few rotational weeks wilhite got most of his base reps in that tenn blowout when springs and bodden each saw about 20% of the snaps, and then weeks 10-13 when springs was inactive.
after that it looks like belichick has him pegged as 3rd/4th corner behind springs.

while on the surface of it 11% doesn't look so good in the playoffs, note that of the 65 plays the ravens ran only about 11 were pass plays, and only 5 of those used 3 wr -- wilhite played 7 snaps.

I'd also note that he got torched by both meachem and colston in that w12 saints game, and he didn't see much base after that --- of course, springs was back 2 weeks later.
to be fair to the guy, it was only his second year, but as of right now he's kind of buried.

I'd also note that he got torched by both meachem and colston in that w12 saints game, and he didn't see much base after that --- of course, springs was back 2 weeks later.
to be fair to the guy, it was only his second year, but as of right now he's kind of buried.

Did anyone not get torched during that Saints game?:confused:

I'm not a Wilhite fan, but wasn't one of those occasions (I think it was against Meachem) the direct fault of Meriweather after Wilhite came in on a corner blitz? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Hobbs had time to develop into a starting CB but he didn't. Give Wilhite time and I believe he'll be better than Hobbs even though presently, Hobbs is better.
I just like what I see in Wilhite. He just needs to stop forgetting to make plays on the ball. Presently, I see Wilhite as our #2 CB going into the season.

I'm not a Wilhite fan, but wasn't one of those occasions (I think it was against Meachem) the direct fault of Meriweather after Wilhite came in on a corner blitz? Or am I thinking of someone else?

We'll never know who's "fault" it was, but yes there were massive amounts of miscommunication in the secondary in that game and I wouldn't use it to single out any one DB.

We'll never know who's "fault" it was, but yes there were massive amounts of miscommunication in the secondary in that game and I wouldn't use it to single out any one DB.

I would. If you get a chance, check out the NFL Replay on that game. They highlight the assignments and it was Meriweather's blown coverage that caused that TD. You can see him bite on an underneath route, then realize what happened and turn around to try to catch up but it was too late. The safety is always responsible for covering over the top when a CB blitzes. The only thing I was confused about is whether or not it was Wilhite or somebody else.

I would. If you get a chance, check out the NFL Replay on that game. They highlight the assignments and it was Meriweather's blown coverage that caused that TD. You can see him bite on an underneath route, then realize what happened and turn around to try to catch up but it was too late. The safety is always responsible for covering over the top when a CB blitzes. The only thing I was confused about is whether or not it was Wilhite or somebody else.

We have no idea what coverage was called though. Wilhite blitzing doesn't mean he was supposed to blitz. Yes that play on the surface sure seems like it was Meriweather's fault, but there's frequently a lot more than meets the eyes. Anyway, that game was a total breakdown and I'd give everyone in the secondary a mulligan for it because you need more than one player messing up to have such a bad game.

Last edited:
^^Meriweather was to blame for that. He was pointing to himself on the sidelines after that which showed he acknowledged the fact that he messed up.

^^Meriweather was to blame for that. He was pointing to himself on the sidelines after that which showed he acknowledged the fact that he messed up.

On top of that, I'm pretty sure BB referenced that as a blown coverage on the safety's part after the game.

My point was to not use a game where the entire secondary failed all game long to single out one DB, and it's turned into singling out one play :bricks:

My point was to not use a game where the entire secondary failed all game long to single out one DB, and it's turned into singling out one play :bricks:

The thread is about Wilhite. The poster that I responded to threw blame to Wilhite on one of those bombs where the blame should not have gone to him. Sure, the secondary did come up with huge amounts of fail in that game, but the discussion about Wilhite in the Saints contest is fair game, as is any conversation revolving around the guy that was supposed to pick up Wilhite's slack.

We have no idea what coverage was called though. Wilhite blitzing doesn't mean he was supposed to blitz. Yes that play on the surface sure seems like it was Meriweather's fault, but there's frequently a lot more than meets the eyes. Anyway, that game was a total breakdown and I'd give everyone in the secondary a mulligan for it because you need more than one player messing up to have such a bad game.

To me, it just sounds like you're trying to find any way of blaming Wilhite that you can.

The thread is about Wilhite. The poster that I responded to threw blame to Wilhite on one of those bombs where the blame should not have gone to him. Sure, the secondary did come up with huge amounts of fail in that game, but the discussion about Wilhite in the Saints contest is fair game, as is any conversation revolving around the guy that was supposed to pick up Wilhite's slack.

Well to be fair he lambasted Wilhite for his performance in that entire game and you brought up one play where Meriweather screwed up. I didn't see eom bring up that play in his attack of Wilhite. I'm not trying to defend or attack Wilhite here, I just think that the Saints game was catastrophic failure all over the place and highlighting plays or even the entire game to analyze a player isn't a good idea.

To me, it just sounds like you're trying to find any way of blaming Wilhite that you can.

Well then go back and re-read without bias because I've not blamed anyone.

haha...take it easy.
I'm not lambasting or attacking anybody, I even said to be fair to the guy it's only his second year.
I just threw out an observation that could possibly have something to do with his status as nickel at the end of the year.

the guy(s) who pointed out it was a complete team failure are absolutely right, and there were at least a half dozen torchings, so which particular one you guys are referring to I don't know.

I think we tend to forget that Wilhite was drafted in the 4th round. If he was a surefire stud who was going to start by year 2, he probably would have gone in the 1st - 3rd.

Let's see how he progresses in year 3 before he make a final decision on what he is, especially since he has shown some ability to at least stay with receivers.

Wheatley is another story. 2nd round pick who's an enigma as he can't get on the field. Some of that is injury, but it's not like he's been great when healthy either.

haha...take it easy.
I'm not lambasting or attacking anybody, I even said to be fair to the guy it's only his second year.
I just threw out an observation that could possibly have something to do with his status as nickel at the end of the year.

the guy(s) who pointed out it was a complete team failure are absolutely right, and there were at least a half dozen torchings, so which particular one you guys are referring to I don't know.

yeah sorry poor choice of word lambasted there.

Plays that are that wide open are usually blown coverages.
Certainly a penchant for blown coverage is an issue with a corner, but if we assume it was a mistake, its not a real good indication of his coverage ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back