PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wheatley and Kaczur

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
It seems that these are our only two serious injuries.

The condition of each affects roster decisions.

KACZUR
We are carrying five OT's, including Kaczur. Considering that Ojinnaka is probably a reasonable emergency 4th RT, one could say that we have six OT's. IMHO, that is one too many. The defense and special teams coaches could both better use that position.

If Kaczur is expected to be back in the next month, we can free up a roster spot. Perhaps we are planning to keep Maneri instead of LeVoir and are waiting for Kaczur to be available for this to happen. Perhaps we are just seeing Kaczur's progress with the possibility of IR still out there. Personally, I am fine with keeping Kaczur on the 53 even if he will not be available until the stretch run.

BTW, Mankins' situation is not relevant here. If signed, Mankins would replace Ojinnaka or Wendell on the roster.

WHEATLEY
For me, this situation is more serious than for others. Before being injured yet again, Wheatley looked better than Wilhite. The open question is how effective he will be even if he can come back. If Wheatley is near 100%, then we are just OK, with Sanders available as one our corners in nickel or dime situations. If Wheatley is not near 100%, then we definitely could use a veteran corner LIKE Springs for injury protection in the long season.

It seems strange to be counting on Wheatley.

Personally, I would add a defensive player in any case, either a corner or a linebacker. Last year, we added Arrington, Lockett and Ninkovich, all of whom contributed. Belichick is really good at finding such role players. And yes, most do NOT work out, but that's fine for bottom of the roster players. It doesn't cost much to add such players.

So far, we've added Page and White in this "last" stage of building the roster (after the cut to 53 and before the trade deadline).

Kaczur needs to be IRed already. This is getting ridiculous; he's not so damn good, at all, that Bill should be saving a roster spot for him. We need somebody who might be able to rush the passer now, more than we need Oxy-K for the last month of the season.

Kaczur needs to be IRed already. This is getting ridiculous; he's not so damn good, at all, that Bill should be saving a roster spot for him. We need somebody who might be able to rush the passer now, more than we need Oxy-K for the last month of the season.
Whoever takes his place would be inactive every game.
When we reach the point where we have enough injuries that there are no healthy inactives, or their are injured actives who can't really play, the point of putting Kaczur on IR is moot.
If there is a pass rusher to sign that we can get, there would be a spot on the roster for him with or without Kaczur on IR.
In fact we have an open spot right now.

I guess I don't understand your point, you understand that not everyone on the team is active every week? Why IR someone whom, I guess, someone thinks might very well be able to come back at some point in the season and help the team?

That would make negotiating with Mankins (if they are) a little tougher, don't you think?

That would make negotiating with Mankins (if they are) a little tougher, don't you think?

Excellent observation. It may well be that BB holds the Canadian off IR as long as there's a chance of SIGNING Logan. To IR him puts the Pats at an obvious disadvantage. Just hope Kaczur isn't tweeting Mankins "Yo Loges! Dunno why Bill hasn't IRed me. Go figure." Cue the Deliverance music.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing