Welcome to PatsFans.com

What's Wrong With This Picture?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Mrs.PatsFanInVa, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +317 / 8 / -3

#12 Jersey

2. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Hahahaha!

If it really came from Santorum, then there is NOTHING wrong with this. That guy is the personification of stupidity, and religious isolationalism.

There is no way thats real...which makes me think it is.
  3. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +317 / 8 / -3

#12 Jersey

I know...I'm unsure if it's true or not. I've seen it and read it discussed on several sites and I've not seen a retraction or a counter-story yet, but that doesn't mean anything.

It's subtle enough that I don't know the average person would "get it" right away - and from what I know of people, it's entirely possible that whoever had it printed up (if it's true) didn't even realize what they were doing. Many people have absolutely no understanding of any religion outside of their own.

It could also be a very deliberate move - again if it's real.

It gets really interesting if you read the entire chapter of John that this quote is taken from:

(For instance)

John 8:12*
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  4. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +292 / 6 / -8

Ahhh, the childhood memories... eating latkes, spinning dreidels, eating those little foil-covered chocolate coins... and of course the traditional hannukah reading of John 8:12...
  5. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +147 / 2 / -1

use of the term "holiday season," obviously

Why does santorum hate Christmas? ;)
  6. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +292 / 0 / -1

#54 Jersey

It was probably intended for Hebrew Christians or whatever they're called...or a really lame attempt to reach out to uneducated Jews.

I get warm fuzzies just thinking about it.
  7. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +152 / 1 / -10

I can only identify with the foil-covered coins...and they sucked! Low-quality chocolate....melted in the foil.

Still have the pants with chocolate-covered pockets.
  8. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +292 / 6 / -8

That ain't chocolate
  9. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +292 / 6 / -8

Reach out like convert, or reach out like get them to vote for you?

I mean, if the latter, what did they do, search for the word "light" in a google search of the bible, and just eff up, and it's one of those campaign screw-ups, or is this an intentional combined dog whistle to Christians and religious conversion campaign disguised as a political campaign?

I can't decide whether it's more effed up if it's on purpose or an accident.
  10. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +152 / 1 / -10

Well, at least it didn't taste that bad....:D
  11. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +292 / 0 / -1

#54 Jersey

Probably the former, maybe the latter. Both would be good for them I guess.

Could be the former, but I guess I'm sensitive to the idea it's the latter.

Definitely more if it's on purpose. If it's on accident, I'll chalk it up to ignorance...unsurprising, unfailing, unbridled ignorance.
  12. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +292 / 6 / -8

Related this story to our "visiting Brits" (see separate thread)... On this one and a couple of others, we just got the "dropped jaw" response. We do look really funny right now outside our own borders... but they still highly respect what we've done for them in the past. It's a sort of "well they're nuts [the US], but it's been good to have them around" reaction.

We should all pat ourselves on the back - we're a very, very entertaining show for the rest of the developed world.
  13. Drewski

Drewski Rookie

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Couldn't "we" say that same thing about many other places though?

I'm not saying we don't have our fair share of goofy.. we clearly do. I just think other places are similar, just on a much more micro scale. The one thing I think that works against us is our size - both geographically and our population. We have a huge land mass with 300M people running around, free to basically say and do what they want, there are bound to be more than a few nutjobs and their ideas. Beyond that politics is big money here (it may be in other places too), so you get pols throwing out bizarre ideas to keep the support (see money) coming in.

The rest of the world loves America, but maybe not Americans. During my Indo days I would have to lie to a local as to where I was from (for security reasons), but they certainly wanted their Levi's Jeans, Michael Jackson CDs and Dallas reruns. Sure there were things they couldn't understand - guns were a big one. We have our problems and our oddball citizens and pols to be sure (just look at this forum :) ) That being said the pic in the OP would fall under "bizarre".

But in words of the one and only Daniel Tosh - If Canada were that cool it would be a state
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  14. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +283 / 0 / -3

#75 Jersey

My immediate reaction, before I caught the whole John thing was that the color scheme is way off.

He should have had an advisor who knows Christmas is red and green and Chanukkah is blue and white.

....but given the whole Red State-Blue State deal........ ;)
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  15. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Convoit? Doubtful.
    If they were trying to convert, it's just incidentally trying to convert Jews. They'd like to convert everyone who's not Christian. Jews, Bhuddists, Agnostics, Catholics...you name it, they'll convert it.

No. What they're trying to do here, IMO, is send out the signal to Christians that the Jews are still useful in context of their End-of-Days mythology. It's also a signal to Jewish Americans that they're just CRAZY about Jews becaust of the OT, lineage of Jesus and "how pious all you Jews are" and stuff like that. Oh, and don't forget to send your donations to Huckabee, er...I mean SantorumforPresident.org.

Also a message for, if they can see American internets in Israel, Jews in Israel who will be getting more military aid from President Santorum to hold the line for Western Civilization from those Godless Arabs...thanks for that by the way.

Hope I didn't leave anything out.

[​IMG]
  16. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand Rookie

Ratings:
    +77 / 5 / -7

#37 Jersey

The obvious problem is that his ridiculous greeting is either 2 months late or 10 months early.