Welcome to PatsFans.com

What's Wrong With This Picture?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Mrs.PatsFanInVa, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +789 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

2. Stokes

Stokes In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Nothing if the "somewhat likely" percentage includes the "very likely" percentage, which is a common way to interpret polling data such as this.

Or are you talking about the fact that so many are under the impression that data was falsified?

3. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

59+35+26=120

4. efin98

efin98 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Look! Look! Fox News is misreporting again! Hurry! Look!

Uh huh never happens on the other two channels nope never happens...:rolleyes:

[​IMG]

5. Stokes

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Rasmussen reported the data the same way, I don't know if they are also considered overtly political like Fox, but again this is a standard way to talk about polling data.

"Fifty-nine percent (59%) of Americans say it’s at least somewhat likely that some scientists have falsified research data to support their own theories and beliefs about global warming. Thirty-five percent (35%) say it’s Very Likely. Just 26% say it’s not very or not at all likely that some scientists falsified data."

Americans Skeptical of Science Behind Global Warming - Rasmussen Reports

so wistah it is 35+24=59, and 59+26+15=100.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  6. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +788 / 18 / -23

#24 Jersey

Yeah, it's a little confusing but it does make sense.

7. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

8. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +789 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

Um, this is what Rasmussen had to say about Fox's "reporting" of their poll.

It is hardly surprising that Fox News would emphasize the use of terms like "trick" in a stolen message from the University of East Anglia without mentioning that the word has an innocent meaning when used by scientists. It is even less surprising that in their zeal to exploit those emails and influence public opinion, the Fox News crew would concoct their own stupid deception.

As the email controversy unfolded, pollsters at Rasmussen Reports asked respondents the following question: "In order to support their own theories and beliefs about global warming, how likely is it that some scientists have falsified research data?" According to their survey, 35 percent believed that it was "very likely," 24 percent thought it was "somewhat likely," 21 percent thought it was "not very likely," 5 percent thought it was "not likely at all" and 15 percent were unsure.

But those results weren't damning enough for Fox, which displayed a full-screen graphic on the poll claiming that 59 percent considered scientific deception to be "somewhat likely" and 35 percent considered it to be "very likely," with only 26 percent feeling it was not very likely. Add up those numbers, and the total comes to 120 percent (with the uncertain 15 percent discarded).

Should we trust the science reporting of a network so challenged by basic arithmetic? Perhaps that question is unfair -- or it would be if Fox and the propagandists of climate skepticism had not indulged in so many earlier episodes of fakery.

Fair and Balanced (and Phony) Science - Rasmussen Reports

9. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,152 / 5 / -10

NBC--PBS--ABC--CBS
    For years thats all we ever had we had to accept what they said, Dear Old Grampa Cronkite would never lie to us.

Then along came Cable and FOX NEWS.
    Now we hear everything that the Left Wing Media doesn't want us to know, Dan Rather will verify that fact.

The Left Wing has CBS--NBC--ABC--PBS
    The Right Wing has Fox--Internet--Drudge--Bloggers

Fair and balanced America at it's finest.

10. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +788 / 18 / -23

#24 Jersey

For clarification, Rasmussen didn't say that. But someone writing on their website did.

"Views expressed in this column are those of the author, not those of Rasmussen Reports."

Not that you would mislead of anything :rolleyes:

11. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

It doesn't matter who published or showed the poll on TV. The question is more revealing than the results. This is no different than many poll questions designed to advance the agenda of the people using the poll. It's the equivalent of "Since the majority of climate scientists agree that humans are influencing climate patterns, don't you think it is a good idea to reduce emissions of CO2?"

The question on the poll is loaded, as usual. Only an ignorant fool would bother to look at the response #'s after such a ridiculous question.

12. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +576 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

Ba-da-BING!

Honestly though BF, we have so many members (from both sides) who actually get giddy over posting something that makes the other side look bad. It's just such a waste of time.

13. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Yeah, but thank Santa for them, right? Half of the discussions get their fuel from posting of crap, I think.

14. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +789 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

You grossly oversimplify everything, PR, and you do yourself, as well as everyone else, a great disservice by your disingenious "other side" remarks in each and every post you make.

It's not always about "right" vs "left" or "Dem" vs "republican" or even "us" against "them." Sometimes it's about truth - sometimes it's about facts, sometimes it's about distortion, sometimes it's about history, sometimes it's about nothing more than personal belief - which is certainly something everyone's entitled to.

The constant simplistic reduction to blaming each and every post on a need to "make the other side look bad," is not only annoying, it's a faulty premise.

Sometimes the "other side" really does look bad and posting something which points it out (on either side) is merely what one does on a "political" board to facilitate a discussion or as an attempt to educate.

Since you seem to operate on the premise that we're all a member of "a side" and there is no hope of anyone ever changing sides or of acknowledging the existance of another set of opinions or of being capable of partaking in an educated, fact-filled discussion of this, that or the other thing, what's the use?

People keep trying to talk around you, they obviously are still interested in posting differing sets of fact from differing political ideologies and they keep responding to them - there are very few people here other than yourself who continually, in each and every thread started, harps on "let's not be political, let's find solutions."

Did it ever enter your head that people, by posting various beliefs of their own are trying to do just that? You can't find a "solution" until you've learned all there is to know about the problem - and identifying the problem is, inevitably, going to involve links and articles divided along party lines since all of the problems and most of the solutions are directly linked to one party or the other.

So I posted a link to a misrepresented Rasmussen poll and someone responded with "Rasmussen figures are the same" and I came back with an article from Rasmussen's own site and someone else pointed out that it was an editorial and that Rasmussen might not agree with it. That's hardly "harping along political lines" or attempting to make one party or the other look bad. For one thing, Rasmussen and Fox are not poltical parties. If you are trying to tell me that they are fair and balanced reporting sources why would you assume they were biased enough in one direction or another that people would attack them for being either "right" or "left?" That's kind of screwing the pooch, isn't it? It's an admission by denial.

The fact is, editorial opinion aside, the figures posted on Rasmussen's site are not the same figures posted on the FOX site using Rasmussen's name.

That's not party-line, that's just fact.

15. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +576 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

I agree, it's ALWAYS about truth & facts. But are you denying that we have members who happily post negative information about the opposing party? I think we often want to believe it's not as simple as R vs. L, but based upon what I read here everyday, there is much anger, mistrust and sometimes, even hatred between our parties.

I'll use a classic example of constant R vs. L that occurs on this site everyday. Someone will post a "Why Democrats are X" and within an hour, I'll see another thread entitled "Why Republicans are Y". Now if you & others think that's acceptable and not childish, that's your choice.

My personal feeling is that some members actually enjoy cutting down the other party and get upset & frustrated with me because I'm constantly reminding them it's not cool. And if you want to talk about truth & facts, the last 2 paragraphs I just wrote is exactly that.

"IF" that is the case, then I think we can agree that's a very sad state of mind for people to have. The FACT is, we're all on the same side....WE ARE ALL ON THE SAME SIDE. And I can only pray that as we decide the fate of this nation, we come to embrace this fact. Because in the end, we will not end up moving in a single direction (L or R) because we are a democratic society and our future will in fact represent the wishes of the majority....no matter what.

Maybe we both hold that notion near & dear to our hearts. i hope & pray that's the case.

I am looking forward to your response.

16. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +789 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

Response to what exactly? That we all want the "same thing?" That we're all on the "same side?"

What is it "we" want, PR? And since there are two sides to every thing, which "side" are we on?

I do agree that we are a democratic society and our future will represent the wishes of the majority - but hasn't it always been that way? Why do you act as though it's something different now than it's been in the past?

I can't respond unless I know what it is you're asking.

17. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,152 / 5 / -10

The Left Wing Liberal Obama Groupies just cannot and will not bring themselves to admit that the Holy Messiah Prince Barack Hussein Obama is just another bullsh!tting politician who happens to be falling off his Throne and is now falling like a ton of bricks in popularity and job performance,
    THE CHANGE WE CAN BELIEVE IN WAS A BUNCH OF CRAP

18. Stokes

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Wrong. I will re-post the quote FROM RASMUSSEN:

"Fifty-nine percent (59%) of Americans say it’s at least somewhat likely that some scientists have falsified research data to support their own theories and beliefs about global warming."

Americans Skeptical of Science Behind Global Warming - Rasmussen Reports

You posted an editorial by Joe Connason, who evidently did not even take the time to read Rasmussen's own page on the story. It is OK to admit a mistake and move on, but maybe you should use your own judgement as to what to criticize rather than being spoon-fed by HuffPo or other such sites. That makes you no better than the people that are spoon-fed by Fox!!!

19. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +576 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

I didn't ask any questions, I made statement and wanted your op.

If you don't realize that partisanship is at it's peak in this nation, then I can't help you. Partisanship = Division

20. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +253 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

How can anyone not see through Fox's "reporting" of the poll results?