Welcome to PatsFans.com

What's wrong with our legal system?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Jun 12, 2007.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

I think this is one of those issues where we will all agree. I'm not sure what the solution is, but it seems to me in the worst case this should be settled in small claims court or by an arbitrator.

http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/Story?id=3269485&page=1

This morning in the nation's capital, a local judge will go to civil court to claim that he is owed $54 million from a local dry cleaner who he says lost his pants.

The case gained national attention soon after the lawsuit was filed. The pants are expected to be introduced into evidence, although the judge says the pants are not his, and the correct pants are still missing.

The sartorial loss caused Washington, D.C., administrative law judge Roy Pearson to suffer what he calls severe "mental suffering, inconvenience and discomfort."

The defendants, who own Custom Cleaners in the Fort Lincoln section of the district, told ABC News last month that they, too, are feeling inconvenience and discomfort.
  2. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

If he wins there's something wrong with our legal system. If he looses, has to pay legal fees, and is disbarred for filing a frivilous action, then our legal system's A-OK. I really hope the defendants make a complaint with their state bar, he's a judge and getting disbarred would likely mean leaving the bench.
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2007
  3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +297 / 1 / -9

My neighbor borrowed my Golf Cart
    He found a pair of ladies underwear on the seat
    He laughed his a$s off when he gave them back to me
    He made fun of me for screwing my wife on a Golf Cart
    I laughed with him
    He then told another neighbor they both laughed
    Then I went in the house and and laughed to myself
    They wern't my wifes bloomers
    They were his wifes bloomers
    :singing: :singing:
  4. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

Believe we posted this before somewhere, and it was generally thought of a frivolous... the American Bar Ass'n offered to settle this out of court to avoid embarassment.
  5. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +251 / 8 / -9

#24 Jersey

You shouldn't be able to sue over anything. There should be an easy way to simply throw out obvious misuse of the system. In this case the judge should be disbarred for misuse of the legal system.

I would also make it so that Punitive Damages don't go to the claimant but go to pay for the court system. It doesn't look like there's Punitive Damages being asked for here but when they are awarded in the millions there is no reason they should go to the claimant as punitive damages are, by definition, a punishment, nothing more nothing less, and the claimant should only get damages, not punitive money.
  6. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

What do you call 1,000 lawyers at the bottom of the ocean?

um....

A good start. :D
  7. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I really hope that this judge and the owner of the dry cleaning store are pals who both despise the mess that is our legal system. Hopefully this is just a way to shove the problem right in society's face. I really thought that the McDonald's hot coffee case might've ended up being a big enough impetus for change; but nothing happened.
  8. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

There is a simple way to throw out the case, judges can summarily dismiss frivilous lawsuits. For some reason this judge declined to do so. Maybe the lawsuit itself is valid (lawsuit for a lost pair of pants seems reasonable) but just the amount is exessive.
  9. Real World

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

The McDonalds case, and cases like it, are the reason why stupidity like a $54 million pair of pants have legs. People saw that, and the "letter" of the law ran rampant. It's cases like these, along with medical malpractice, and accident/injury scams that screw this country. When you see James Sokolov on TV holding a phone, and telling you to call if you've slipped on a banana peel at work, it's not that different than this crap. I'll never forget what a judge told my cousin (she's his neighbor), she said to him about 6 years ago to "sue everybody". He was dumbfounded when she said that. I hate lawsuits, which is why I'll never vote for that POS...

[​IMG]
  10. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

RW, are you referring to any specific case when it comes to John Edwards. I'm certainly not well-versed in his legal career, but here are a couple things from Wikipedia:

"Edwards' first notable case was a 1984 medical malpractice lawsuit. As a young associate, he got the assignment because it was considered a losing case; the firm had only accepted it as a favor to an attorney and state senator who did not want to keep it. Nevertheless, Edwards won a $3.7 million verdict on behalf of his client, who suffered permanent brain and nerve damage after a doctor prescribed a drug overdose of anti-alcoholism drug Antabuse during alcohol aversion therapy.

"In 1985, Edwards tried a case involving medical malpractice during childbirth, representing a five-year-old child born with cerebral palsy whose doctor did not choose to perform an immediate Caesarian delivery when a fetal monitor showed she was in distress. During the trial, it has been argued that Edwards relied more on his verbal skills as a trial lawyer than on actual science, as questions remain about whether or not it was or could be proven scientifically that there is a direct connection between a delay in delivery and brain damage like cerebral palsy. While delivering his summary to the jury, Edwards said, "I have to tell you right now — I didn't plan to talk about this — right now I feel her [Jennifer], I feel her presence...[Jennifer's] inside me and she's talking to you."[11] Edwards won a $6.5 million settlement for his client, but five weeks later, the presiding judge sustained the verdict but overturned the award as being "excessive" and that it appeared "to have been given under the influence of passion and prejudice," adding that in his opinion "the evidence was insufficient to support the verdict." He offered the plaintiffs half of the jury's settlement, but the child's family appealed the case and settled for $4.25 million.[9] Winning this case established the North Carolina precedent of physician and hospital liability for failing to determine if the patient understood risks of a particular procedure.

"The biggest case of his legal career was a 1997 product liability lawsuit against Sta-Rite, the manufacturer of a defective pool drain cover. The case involved a three-year-old girl [12] who was disemboweled by the suction power of the pool drain pump when she sat on an open pool drain whose protective cover other children at the pool had removed, after the swim club had failed to install the cover properly. Despite 12 prior suits with similar claims, Sta-Rite continued to make and sell drain covers lacking warnings. Sta-Rite protested that an additional warning would have made no difference because the pool owners already knew the importance of keeping the cover secured. In his closing arguments, Edwards spoke to the jury for an hour and a half without referring to notes. It was an emotional appeal that made reference to his son, Wade, who had been killed shortly before testimony began in the trial. Mark Dayton, editor of North Carolina Lawyers Weekly, would later call it "the most impressive legal performance I have ever seen."[13] The jury awarded the family $25 million, the largest personal injury award in North Carolina history. The company settled for the $25 million while the jury was deliberating additional punitive damages, rather than risk losing an appeal."

Now, I'm not saying there aren't ambulance chasers, but by the same token there are also legitimate medical malpractice suits. If a doctor makes an egregioius error that costs a life or costs a lifetime of specialized care, then certainly substantial sums should change hands.

As far as corporate cases go, the fact is that even if a company knowingly makes something dangerous or harmful, it's officers and stockholders will face no consequence. The only way to punish a company and discourage it from abusing the public again is to hit it with a fine that's big enough for the shareholders to take notice.
  11. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +20 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

What's the differance between a lawyer and a catfish?Give up? One's a scum sucking bottom dweller,and the other is a fish..:D
  12. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +297 / 1 / -9

Shake Spear Said "KILL ALL THE LAWYERS"

:bricks:
  13. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +20 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

He was VERY wise,besides being the greatest writer in the English language.

What's Black and White and looks good on a lawyer? give up? haa, haa.....A pit bull. :D
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2007
  14. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

actually, Shakespeare never said that... but it's fine sentiment, nonetheless...
  15. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Wait, wait, wait...

If these pants got the guy's legs in 'em I can see why they'd be worth some serious money:D
  16. Real World

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

At least someone got the pun. :D
  17. Real World

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

What do you call a lawyer buried up to his neck in cement?

Not enough cement.
  18. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +113 / 7 / -10

The problem is twofold, Liberial Judges and the refusal of democrats to allow debate on tort reform due the the millions they get from Tort lawyers and the ABA.
  19. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

And with that, even every conservative on this board rolled their eyes. You even capitalized Liberal Judges!
  20. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

what a joke... you're truly a partisan embarrassment...