PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What's with Dennard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hard to believe a first year Butler is consistently ahead of a former starter, though, if all things are equal. He's promising but green and has made mistakes and all things equal, BB always goes for the vet.
The team must like his upside. I hope he has some as he did was a liability vs Wallace last week.

He is a valuable asset. They release him and I can guarantee he gets picked up by a contender.

There again, he comes off 4 starts, he started before, teams know he was replaced, so he's not tainted. You can't trade a young, starting CB in this league? I could see a mid round or higher pick possible. some teams have horrible secondaries.

You honestly think he'd still be here if that happened?

Yes, considering we have a team run by adult males not fragile snowflakes.

If anything I'd suspect that a player who didn't get pissed about not playing would be on his way out faster.

Hard to believe a first year Butler is consistently ahead of a former starter, though, if all things are equal. He's promising but green and has made mistakes and all things equal, BB always goes for the vet.

I guess that Dennard was a starter because there was little choice. In any case, many here thought that CB was a strength. Belichick promptly signed Browner and Revis. And, yes, his UDFA is considered better than last year's starter. REVIS is in a class by himself, and was obviously a huge improvement over Talib. HOWEVER, it seems that Browner was an even greater improvement over Dennard.

The constants from last year's secondary have been McCourty, Arrington and the Rutgers backups.

I think for today's game it is a question of match ups. Dennard is a stronger but slower corner, while Butler is more of a quicker guy that offers better special teams play. In previous weeks I think it was more of an issue that Ryan and Arrington were ahead on the depth chart and Butler is a better special teams player, and you can only dress so many CBs. But I know what you mean since Dennard still can't Crack the lineup with KA inactive.
Butler has been horrendous.
Injured players are active and we are short a corner. Dennard is either harboring an injury being disciplined or totally in the doghouse.

Butler has been horrendous.
Injured players are active and we are short a corner. Dennard is either harboring an injury being disciplined or totally in the doghouse.
I agree with regard to Butler.

However, it seems very unlikely that the team will consider Dennard worth $1.5M next year. BTW, how did he get that huge increase in 2015 salary?

I would think that we'll see a lot of Ryan in the slot (not a great idea). The alternative is to put Browner in the slot and Ryan outside.

I guess that Dennard was a starter because there was little choice. In any case, many here thought that CB was a strength. Belichick promptly signed Browner and Revis. And, yes, his UDFA is considered better than last year's starter. REVIS is in a class by himself, and was obviously a huge improvement over Talib. HOWEVER, it seems that Browner was an even greater improvement over Dennard.

The constants from last year's secondary have been McCourty, Arrington and the Rutgers backups.

Dennard beat out Butler, so that's not really "little choice" when we're still talking about Butler, because Butler's now playing.

It seemed that the shoulder continued to trouble Dennard, and the reports were also that he was struggling with the move into the slot.

It could be that he's been struggling with injury all season
It could be that he's lousy in the slot
It could be any number of other things.

This is one of those times when the silence from Gillette is annoying as all get out.

Wow, that IS a surprise. If it's not an injury that they are hiding, then he has clearly pissed off the staff for some reason. It is a real mystery, that I hope someone will find the real answer to. We can speculate a number of possibilities, but that's all it would be....unfounded speculation. Could it be as simple as that Butler is simply that much better?

Do you think so? I don't. I imagine he might have pouted when replaced, but not blown up enough to get the boot.

I don't see Harmon or Ryan being inactive and he didn't go from a decent starter (are any of those three?) to a consistent healthy scratch overnight IMO. It's mysterious. He knows not to shoot his mouth off...it's like the witness protection program.

Let's take the GB game. Lot's of lapses against 3-5 receivers, though a great QB and game plan. None of Dennard and the coaches thought he might have done a better job?

EDIT Just checked and apparently, he played, Butler sat. Maybe he's lost spark/confidence when given chance.

Last edited:
The Pats are short a corner because they are playing the Jets.

The 2nd rushing and 32nd ranked passing offense New York Jets.

There is no demand for a 5th corner on the active roster.

You can't trade a young, starting CB in this league? I could see a mid round or higher pick possible. some teams have horrible secondaries.

Were you, by any chance, part of the "we'll be getting a high pick for Ryan Mallett" club? LOL

Do you think so? I don't. I imagine he might have pouted when replaced, but not blown up enough to get the boot.

I don't see Harmon or Ryan being inactive and he didn't go from a decent starter (are any of those three) to a consistent healthy scratch overnight IMO. It's mysterious. He knows not to shoot his mouth off...it's like the witness protection program.

Let's take the GB game. Lot's of lapses against 3-5 receivers, though a great QB and game plan. None of Dennard and the coaches thought he might have done a better job?

EDIT Just checked and apparently, he played, Butler sat. Maybe he's lost spark/confidence when given chance.
Aren't we really discussing Dennard instead of nobody? Arrington is out.

in and out of the lineup, dennard can't find his rhythm.
can't just throw him in there like they did against green bay. on merit, dennard should be ahead of butler who was skinned by mike wallace

Yet he was better than average compared to our starters over the years (a lot of whom stunk). Just seems the middle ground between average starter and not even a backup was missed somewhere.

I love our secondary, by the way. Wouldn't most teams love to be having this type of discussion?

The Pats are short a corner because they are playing the Jets.

The 2nd rushing and 32nd ranked passing offense New York Jets.

There is no demand for a 5th corner on the active roster.

I agree, but Butler is playing. A better tackler than Dennard? I think dennard is stronger.

Were you, by any chance, part of the "we'll be getting a high pick for Ryan Mallett" club? LOL

Hey, I'm still trying to trade Rohan Davey! There is an art to trading and i think, if the team wasn't high on him, they could have gotten good value because he looked like a starter who lost the job because Browner came off the suspension, therefore no taint of bad play/behavior. Obviously couldn't get a bag of chips for him now after multiple healthy scratches.

He is a valuable asset. They release him and I can guarantee he gets picked up by a contender.

Technically, I think you're wrong about the "contender" part because of waiver order.

Dennard's 2015 salary will be raised because he earned the Proven Performance Escalator in 2012/2013. It is a new feature in the CBA. An eligible player will qualify for the Proven Performance Escalator in his fourth League Year if: (1) he participated in a minimum of 35% of his Club's offensive or defensive plays in any two of his previous three regular seasons; or (2) he participated in a "cumulative average" of at least 35% of his Club's offensive or defensive plays over his previous three regular seasons. This is for players drafted in rounds 3 through 7.

Let me make this clear. I love ALL of our corners, but Ryan has been identified as our weak link and we need to shift help his direction or something. Maybe even swap Ryan out for Dennard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes