PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What's with Dennard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayClay

Hall of Fame Poster
Reaction score
Healthy scratch again, even with Arrington out. He won't play him, he didn't trade him, what's the future plan here? Butler's all right, but he makes plenty of mistakes and Dennard is a pretty decent, strong cornerback.

We know he's had issues, that's how we got him cheap. Is BB busting his balls hoping he comes back with a new attitude next season? (not that I've heard any negatives). If he's not wanted, why didn't they trade him when he was a starter and had value (good CBs are worth their weight in gold).

Thoughts?

Healthy scratch again, even with Arrington out. He won't play him, he didn't trade him, what's the future plan here? Butler's all right, but he makes plenty of mistakes and Dennard is a pretty decent, strong cornerback.

We know he's had issues, that's how we got him cheap. Is BB busting his balls hoping he comes back with a new attitude next season? (not that I've heard any negatives). If he's not wanted, why didn't they trade him when he was a starter and had value (good CBs are worth their weight in gold).

Thoughts?
I think similar to Dobson he missed all of camp and was just behind the 8-Ball. I also wonder if he took issue with Browner taking his starting job and that created some conflict with the coaching staff.

I think for today's game it is a question of match ups. Dennard is a stronger but slower corner, while Butler is more of a quicker guy that offers better special teams play. In previous weeks I think it was more of an issue that Ryan and Arrington were ahead on the depth chart and Butler is a better special teams player, and you can only dress so many CBs. But I know what you mean since Dennard still can't Crack the lineup with KA inactive.

I also wonder if he took issue with Browner taking his starting job and that created some conflict with the coaching staff.
You honestly think he'd still be here if that happened?

Wow, that IS a surprise. If it's not an injury that they are hiding, then he has clearly pissed off the staff for some reason. It is a real mystery, that I hope someone will find the real answer to. We can speculate a number of possibilities, but that's all it would be....unfounded speculation. Could it be as simple as that Butler is simply that much better?

Now it' up to Butler/Ryan to be slot CB. Not very confident in these two guys.

You honestly think he'd still be here if that happened?
He is a valuable asset. They release him and I can guarantee he gets picked up by a contender.

I think similar to Dobson he missed all of camp and was just behind the 8-Ball. I also wonder if he took issue with Browner taking his starting job and that created some conflict with the coaching staff.

4 starts, though. Maybe he wasn't happy and might be a hothead. He wouldn't be around if he spouted off, though so it's still a mystery to me.

When I saw the inactive, this was my thought also.

A 4th TE is more valuable than Dennard. We usually sit one corner. Now we see what Belichick really thinks of Dennard. Even with Arrington being the one inactive corner, Dennard is still inactive.

I think for today's game it is a question of match ups. Dennard is a stronger but slower corner, while Butler is more of a quicker guy that offers better special teams play. In previous weeks I think it was more of an issue that Ryan and Arrington were ahead on the depth chart and Butler is a better special teams player, and you can only dress so many CBs. But I know what you mean since Dennard still can't Crack the lineup with KA inactive.

Good point. I might be seeing a pattern that doesn't exist.

He is a valuable asset. They release him and I can guarantee he gets picked up by a contender.
If they cared about that then they wouldn't have released Tommy Kelly.

Next year the Pats need to put out the injury list by game along with a BB Doghouse list per game.

4 starts, though. Maybe he wasn't happy and might be a hothead. He wouldn't be around if he spouted off, though so it's still a mystery to me.
I'm with you. I do not understand it at all. I like Dennard always thought he was one of the better #2 CBs around.

There's no point releasing him at this point, but he seems to have no value other than as a competitor for the end of the roster in 2015.

If they cared about that then they wouldn't have released Tommy Kelly.
I don't think they were concerned with Kelly it was preseason and he was an aging DL coming off a major injury.

A 4th TE is more valuable than Dennard. We usually sit one corner. Now we see what Belichick really thinks of Dennard. Even with Arrington being the one inactive corner, Dennard is still inactive.

Hard to believe a first year Butler is consistently ahead of a former starter, though, if all things are equal. He's promising but green and has made mistakes and all things equal, BB always goes for the vet.

There's no point releasing him at this point, but he seems to have no value other than as a competitor for the end of the roster in 2015,
I'm sure they could pickup a late round draft pick for Dennard. He was an effective starting CB for 2 seasons and is young still.

He is an average CB. Considering he is on the books in 2015 to make $1.4m and if cut the cap hit is $14k he will either take a pay cut, be traded or released all together if no one wants him.

It could have less to do with Dennard and more to do with game planning for the Jets. More linemen, and extra safeties could have more value than a 5th CB.

The one game he played a bit he seemed beaten a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back