PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What's up with Welker?

Status
Not open for further replies.

atomdomb

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
he has been very quiet the last two games. i did notice he is getting double teamed quite a bit but he doesn't see to have the opening that he usually does. are teams starting to scheme for him a little bit more since he started the season off so well? any thoughts...

he has been very quiet the last two games. i did notice he is getting double teamed quite a bit but he doesn't see to have the opening that he usually does. are teams starting to scheme for him a little bit more since he started the season off so well? any thoughts...

(Welker + Moss)*double = Watson*100 Squared.

Welker is not the lead guy. He is the guy that will hurt you when you focus on somebody else.

The Browns focused on Welker, and hit him any chance they got, whether or not he was involved in a play.

That won't happen every week, because other teams will try to take away Watson or Dante or Moss instead.

Welker is always going to be there. Either he draws a lot of coverage, or somebody else does. No big deal.

In prior years, Brady might have had INTs trying to force the ball to his favorite target, but this year he has a lot of favorite targets.

There was a time when you simply double covered Troy Brown or Deion Branch and you took our passing game away. Not this year.

In all honesty, I think we need to develop a more solid running game for Welker to be able to open up. I don't mean to say that Morris sucks or anything, I mean to say we're very obviously a pass-first team. Teams are just playing straight up nickle against us right now. In the first couple games when defences were respecting the run a little more, they couldn't find a way to cover Moss, Stallworth and Welker at the same time; it's just about impossible.

So my prediction is they either give the ball to Morris more or we see Maroney back, and Welker will be affected greatly.

Last edited:
In all honesty, I think we need to develop a more solid running game for Welker to be able to open up. Teams are just playing straight up nickle against us. In the first couple games when defences were respecting the run a little more, they couldn't find a way to cover Moss, Stallworth and Welker at the same time; it's just about impossible.

So my prediction is they either give the ball to Morris more or we see Maroney back, and Welker will be affected greatly.

Uhh aren't the Patriots like 4th in the league as far as rushing yards per game goes?

edit: 3rd actually

Last edited:
Uhh aren't the Patriots like 4th in the league as far as rushing yards per game goes?

edit: 3rd actually
Yeah, I'm not sure how our running game wouldn't be considered very good right now.

As for Welker; some guys are going to have quiet weeks and some are going to have big weeks. We have so many weapons that no one except Moss will post real big numbers. Some weeks it'll be the Moss and Welker show, some weeks the Moss and Stallworth show, and some weeks the Stallworth and Watson show. We aren't going to get consistent production from all our weapons-- there's just too many.

what do we expect, all receivers catching for over 100 yards ? two weeks before it was where was donte. now whats up with welker. Is the opposition a javy team or something ?they can play a bit of defense too.

As someone else put it, you pick your poison. If you don't cover Welker, he can burn you up the middle. If you do cover Welker, that's one less person that can guard against Randy Moss, or Donte' Stallworth, or Benjamin Watson, . . . or crowd the box for run defense.

Remember, though: Brady's favorite receiver will always be some guy named "Open." It's just that with Moss and Welker around, "Open" seems to be on the field a lot more often. :D

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm not sure how our running game wouldn't be considered very good right now.

As for Welker; some guys are going to have quiet weeks and some are going to have big weeks. We have so many weapons that no one except Moss will post real big numbers. Some weeks it'll be the Moss and Welker show, some weeks the Moss and Stallworth show, and some weeks the Stallworth and Watson show. We aren't going to get consistent production from all our weapons-- there's just too many.

Well, consistent individual production, no. But overall. . . . life is good. :rocker:

Yeah, some guys will have their quiet weeks on certain days, and others will just tear apart the secondary. It's a matter of pick your poision. The Browns decided to double Welker and Moss, then they recieved a heavy dosage of Watson.

If our slot receiver is getting doubled, he's doing a great job. Are you kidding me?

If our slot receiver is getting doubled, he's doing a great job. Are you kidding me?

Agreed. Let teams start to forget him. You think the Patriots ever forgot about him and look what he used to do to us?

No Patriot will ever beat a statistical record as long as Brady throws to the open man.

No Patriot will ever beat a statistical record as long as Brady throws to the open man.

Wrong. Troy Brown has warmed the hearts of cold, cold New Englanders for years. Of course, Bledsoe gave him a head start, but it is a record none-the-less. :)

(A nod to the Steamer, too. I voted for him for PHOF. Just a dumb joke for the Brady era...)

Last edited:
he is just fine... as long as somebody is getting open welker is doing his job same with moss... the opponents secondary respects welker's ability so they always keep an eye on him leaving other guys open...

The same thing could be said for Moss this week, the reality is that the Pats play to the weaknesses of the other team. Last week the Browns focused on Moss and Welker, and Stallworth and Watson had big days. This week something different will happen, so stay tuned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down