PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What's up with Maroney?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maroney is nothing special...Antowain Smith was a better runner for us than the younger Maroney is right now. Maroney has no vision that's why he was Benched yesterday. There was a play near the Goal line when the OL opened up a Huge Hole Slowroney only got 5 yards out of it.:rolleyes: We should put Wes Welker at RB, he'll show Slowroney how to juke in space. Maroney is a complete embarasment to that RB class. I hate Maroney's play so much that if he ends up on IR i wouldn't even blink. Which RB off the streets couldn't do what he's doing now? Maroney is playing like a Undrafted Free Agent.

Last edited:
> homerun hitter

That's a pretty good image. My impression is he gets stuck looking for a larger hole to run through for the home run. I wish he wouldn't run so upright and squared to the line looking to make a cut either way.

When the hole is just a crack-of-daylight, Morris (and Dillon) act quick, go through sideways, get low and drive their legs to make something out of nothing. Too often, Maroney's moment of hesitation when he doesn't see a good hole allows the defense to close the crack-of-daylight completely.

On the flip side, many times when he runs, there's just nothing there at all.

Or like he is being managed (and coached) to save something for later in the season. I haven't watched the recording of the game yet, but there was a similar thread over at Planet and one of the posters there did an analysis of his down/distance results compared to Morris - from those he didn't look that bad. I guess I'll make up my own mind when I've watched the game.

It's different this game. Pay attention to his deliberate untouched step out of bounds a yard shy of a critical 1st down. Also, contrast how Morris or Jordan hit the hole or no hole banging into where the play is called while Maroney sometimes, but too often loses momentum approaching the LOS making a small cut that does not help the run.

I wonder if Sean Alexander would be putting up better numbers than Maroney is right now?

So weird to see Faulk in off the hop.

Exactly. That's why he's such an enigma. It's a psychological issue.

Enigma's the word. I agree he's one dimensional but that would be fine because we've got Morris, Jordan (hopefully Jordan's ok), and Kevin. Psychological seems to be a viable answer to whatever sometimes ails him.

As far as saving him for something special down the road,I remember thinking that last year,and even the year before:cool:

I dunno. Enigmaroney is right.

Had he just cut back inside on that play where he ran out of bounds in front of the first down marker, he had a clear path to pay dirt.

It's different this game. Pay attention to his deliberate untouched step out of bounds a yard shy of a critical 1st down. Also, contrast how Morris or Jordan hit the hole or no hole banging into where the play is called while Maroney sometimes, but too often loses momentum approaching the LOS making a small cut that does not help the run.

He looked afraid of contact. He's great in the open when nobody's around but that OOB play was a big tell. One yard shy of 1st down is the time to give it your all.

You'll notice Maroney had a supporting strap on his right shoulder, and to get that first down he would of had to of lead with that shoulder right into Willis which was something he was obviously not willing to do. Going head on does not seem like an issue. That play was supposed to be a run up the gut which was stuffed and turned into Maroney getting outside. Teams will see that and may shift more to the left.

Maroney is nothing special...Antowain Smith was a better runner for us than the younger Maroney is right now. Maroney has no vision that's why he was Benched yesterday. There was a play near the Goal line when the OL opened up a Huge Hole Slowroney only got 5 yards out of it.:rolleyes: We should put Wes Welker at RB, he'll show Slowroney how to juke in space. Maroney is a complete embarasment to that RB class. I hate Maroney's play so much that if he ends up on IR i wouldn't even blink. Which RB off the streets couldn't do what he's doing now? Maroney is playing like a Undrafted Free Agent.

He does not see holes at the line as well as any other back on the roster. Is Maroney another athelete with great phsycial skills and poor instincts? Right now he seems to be suffering from lack of confidence, and possibly injury (but then why is he in there?). He has contributed more than CJ did, but if he continues to struggle to keep up with his position (2.5 ypc yesterday), one has to wonder how long he will continue to be a member. I would guess that Morris gets the start SUnday night. I think Maroney's opportunities are dwindling, although if Jordan cannot play he gets a (hopefully) temporary reprieve. A stint on the inactive list would be the first sign that the coaches have reached a desperation point with Maroney.

You'll notice Maroney had a supporting strap on his right shoulder, and to get that first down he would of had to of lead with that shoulder right into Willis which was something he was obviously not willing to do.

Getting low and frogging forward (Wes Welker style) out of the question here?

Last edited:
McDaniels does an absolute terrible job of getting the ball into maroney's hands that take advantage of his stengths. Maroney needs the ball in the open field, so how do you get him in that postion? how about pitch outs, flair outs, screen passes. McDaniels is much to blame as maroney.

miami torched the SD by running outside, the problem is with maroney is he is the only back who can get outside with speed . I think he is injured .last year in the playoffs he was the man .I think he should be rested for 3-4 weeks and brought back.
In the interim activate ben jarvis green or another fast back from the street and get some speed.

I wonder if Sean Alexander would be putting up better numbers than Maroney is right now?

No. SA is a fat slug. He is also old and slow. Not the kind of make-up you want in a tailback.

I think he should be rested for 3-4 weeks and brought back.
In the interim activate ben jarvis green or another fast back from the street and get some speed.

Problem is, you'd have to cut someone to activate a PS player and Maroney isn't looking to be headed for IR.

the ppl who blame josh are correct, but BB should see what we see and act on it too...

Maroney is best on the open feild...a couple of times when they threw screens at him, or in the flat, he got great gains....

why is he not begin used like that?

Reiss lists him in the "down category" : "Lauernce Maroney -- Running back doesn't run with the same decisiveness as Sammy Morris and LaMont Jordan, finishing with 26 yards on 10 carries (2.6 avg) while playing just 17 snaps."

Ups & downs - Reiss' Pieces - Boston.com

*Also of note,Chris Hanson makes the list once again.

Getting low and frogging forward (Wes Welker style) out of the question here?

That's what he should do, but the impact point will be on that right shoulder. No one can frog like WW

Reiss lists him in the "down category" : "Lauernce Maroney -- Running back doesn't run with the same decisiveness as Sammy Morris and LaMont Jordan, finishing with 26 yards on 10 carries (2.6 avg) while playing just 17 snaps."

Ups & downs - Reiss' Pieces - Boston.com

*Also of note,Chris Hanson makes the list once again.

Since Cassel is off the schnide it's on to the next most obvious target.

Maroney is not and never will be a downhill move the pile back. I think the guy who drafted him wasn't intending for him to be, but schit happens. Thunder and lightning, only thunder keeps getting hurt and lightning has as well in the process of covering both slots...and our OL never really got the hang of blocking for that kind of back. I saw Ivan in his grill after one unproductive run, but rather than firing him up it seems to be sapping his confidence. I'm not sure what the answer is but I have a feeling it has as much to do with utilization and blocking scheme as dancing.

Morris was the plow horse yesterday but he only racked up 63 yards in 16 carries. LaMont gets lots of love lately but the reality is he had 16 yards on 5 carries and spent the second half on the sidelines in a t-shirt...which was the knock on him going in and what I thought Bill was hoping to be less dependent on when he drafted Maroney rather than a later round bowling ball. Maroney ended up with 10 carries for 20 someodd yards.

We know Maroney has explosive talent, we just forget quickly around here. This Oline can't spring him and if we continue to punish him for that his explosiveness will go the way of Watson's. Speaking of whom if they want a more legit target to criticize...

We know Maroney has explosive talent, we just forget quickly around here. This Oline can't spring him and if we continue to punish him for that his explosiveness will go the way of Watson's. Speaking of whom if they want a more legit target to criticize...

I guess when you have weapons like Moss & Welker, its not as critical - but part of me really wishes they'd try and get Maroney the ball outside of the tackles. Screen passes, dump offs, I'd love to see him with the ball in his hands with some open field. We've seen flashes of his open field brilliance each season, but it hasn't been sustained b/c the O-line can't open holes for him consistently.

Last edited:
Since Cassel is off the schnide it's on to the next most obvious target.

Maroney is not and never will be a downhill move the pile back. I think the guy who drafted him wasn't intending for him to be, but schit happens. Thunder and lightning, only thunder keeps getting hurt and lightning has as well in the process of covering both slots...and our OL never really got the hang of blocking for that kind of back. I saw Ivan in his grill after one unproductive run, but rather than firing him up it seems to be sapping his confidence. I'm not sure what the answer is but I have a feeling it has as much to do with utilization and blocking scheme as dancing.

Morris was the plow horse yesterday but he only racked up 63 yards in 16 carries. LaMont gets lots of love lately but the reality is he had 16 yards on 5 carries and spent the second half on the sidelines in a t-shirt...which was the knock on him going in and what I thought Bill was hoping to be less dependent on when he drafted Maroney rather than a later round bowling ball. Maroney ended up with 10 carries for 20 someodd yards.

Agreed on all; LoMo's not here to carry the load,he was originally here to balance Dillon. Had Corey been the 04 Corey he and LoMo would've been scary together. I see Sammy and Jordan (esp Jordan) as Corey-esque so ideally LoMo should be able to do what he does best more often than not.

However,at the end of the day, SO MUCH boils down to the OL...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back