PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What's up with Maroney?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd love to think that Maroney found his groove in the playoffs last year, but the sad fact is that the Chargers really couldn't stop the run last year. They allowed Adrian Peterson, a rookie, to rush for 297 yards. Try rushing that many times against last year's Steelers and you'd end up with Maroney on IR.

BUT, there was one play today towards the end of the game when he got a nice 6 yard carry, and it was just a lower your shoulder and run it up the gut type of play. Anyone else remember that?

Also, he had this kind of hesitation last year, too. But then when the weather got cold he turned it up and was running like a mad man. Check the AFCCG...he could have ran all day long.

It's like he forgets he is a big man that can run people over, or he wants to make the nifty cut that will end up on Sportscenter "Top 10 Plays" instead of just getting the 5 yards and laying into an LB or two.
Or like he is being managed (and coached) to save something for later in the season. I haven't watched the recording of the game yet, but there was a similar thread over at Planet and one of the posters there did an analysis of his down/distance results compared to Morris - from those he didn't look that bad. I guess I'll make up my own mind when I've watched the game.

Or like he is being managed (and coached) to save something for later in the season. I haven't watched the recording of the game yet, but there was a similar thread over at Planet and one of the posters there did an analysis of his down/distance results compared to Morris - from those he didn't look that bad. I guess I'll make up my own mind when I've watched the game.

Saving something for later? Like Mayo or Faulk who is saying something for later?

If the player can play he plays. Morris, Jordan and Faulk found holes.

The boy in the bubble danced like he was a little girl.

Last edited:

That could be what it is, too. It would make sense, trying to keep him fresh for later in the season but still letting him get some in game hits so he isn't rusty.

I was very unhappy with him when he ducked out of bounds instead of going for the first down, though. Just thought I should add that. It made him look soft.

Yeppers, I don't think this is the case though.

He was benched today for poor play.

I don't care about the stats, I watch the player. He got thrown back five yards by a guy using one arm. He avoided contact when he needed 1/2 yard for a first down. And doesn't dip his shoulder to hit and he has power.

If you can't play the game, or you're legitimately injured, free up a spot, or get your **** together after a rest.

Last edited:
Glassman looked bad........Again.

Weakass mofo

"saving" something? In what sense? Are you saying they are putting Maroney on the field and coaching him to go less than 100% ? Would love some clarification on this point.

Maroney is what he is, a gifted but one-dimensional back. Give him good run blocking and space and he's above average. Clog up the line and he might as well lay down before the play is blown dead.

What I question sometimes is his heart (and smarts). 2 months ago I argued that a by-product of the Jordon acquisition might be to push Maroney a little a bit and not let him get too comfortable in the starting role. Predictably I got flamed for it--"are you kidding? Maroney doesn't need to be pushed." (as if he's already in the pantheon of great starting NFL RBs based on his production down the stretch last year).

Until I hear otherwise from BB himself, hurt or not, you get the freakin 1st down on the play he went out of bounds on. This isn't soccer. Anyone glad we didn't cut [as some curiously speculated about] a running back who was coming off a serious injury and is now our best option on the ground [Morris]?

Last edited:
Maroney? Good speed, nice outside runner, but he's made out of glass. He has injury issues....and he always has some nagging problem that "keeps him from reaching his potential". Our blocking is suited for a power runner, not a guy like Maroney. Its a mix of everything. Poor blocking for his running style, hesitation at the line and injury issues.

He will always be a tease. Maroney will show you just enough skill to make you believe that he is about to "run wild", but in the end his injuries and tenative running style hold him back. He tries hard, so I have no beef with him, but he will never be an elite back.

Last edited:
I think he jsut wants to be the home run hitter and make te big play instead of grinding it out. He needs to just go for the grind out and accept it

I think he jsut wants to be the home run hitter and make te big play instead of grinding it out. He needs to just go for the grind out and accept it

I think he does; the problem is that his body cannot take the pounding. He has had injury issues since he joined the team.

Does anybody here think he will be back with the Pats when his contract expires?

I don't think the Pats will even look to sign him again. Don't think that BB doesn't see the same thing on hitting the hole with him. I thought it was something he would learn, but I have given up on that.

Well, I've tried to defend the guy in the past, BUT. I'm tired of seeing the dancing at the line crap. Hit the hole like Morris, and lower the shoulder for a lousy 1 yard. If he's injured, then don't play him. We have plenty of backs that would have picked up the first down, and not "skirted" out of bounds.

Well, I've tried to defend the guy in the past, BUT. I'm tired of seeing the dancing at the line crap. Hit the hole like Morris, and lower the shoulder for a lousy 1 yard. If he's injured, then don't play him. We have plenty of backs that would have picked up the first down, and not "skirted" out of bounds.

It was very frustrating watching him yesterday. At first I thought that the OLine wasn't getting the job done. Then after watching Jrdan, Morris and Faulk it was obvious that Maroney was the problem. Not putting the shoulder down to get the 1/2 yard for first down did it for me. It's baffling. He's obviously a talented running back but there seems to be something missing. Whether it's heart, desire or just bad decision making, I don't know. As another poster said, maybe BB needs to use him more on screen passes, dump offs, etc. rather than purely a running back.

Ya, too much side to side (dancing, w/e). Ive been watching C. Johnson (the rookie for the Titans down here) and wow, He looks like he is running downhill everytime he touches the ball. Hits the hole fast and doesnt much hesitate.

When he ran out of bounds before the first down yesterday, that did it for me. I have avoided calling the kid a bust because he has talent and he has been productive. I won't say he's a bust, but I think that he was a reach in the first round at this point. He's playing like a 3rd round pick not a first round pick. Maybe we are all over reacting, but we can only comment on what we see. IMHO, I see a running back who is inconsistent, does not run for power and dances too much at the line of scrimmage.
I hope that Jordan will be alright with some time to rest whatever happened to him and I Pray to the football Gods that Faulk and Morris stay healthy. I hope that rooky that they have on the practice squad is improving too.

On the positive side, he didn't get hurt yesterday. At least not that I've heard yet.

If you notice, as soon as maroney danced out of bounds 1 yard short of the first down, Bill put in Morris to get that 1 yard on third down. Don't know how long Lamont Jordan will be out with his injury, but Maroney better turn it on next week or he will be the 4th string back behind jordan, morris, and faulk very soon.

Last edited:
It's nice to see some of the ballwashers and apologists adjust their viewpoint on this. I think we've seen all he can do at this point - the good and the bad. Given that he probably has an additional 2 years on his contract at reasonably short money I don't see him going anywhere, however, once his contract expires he goes to the Raiders, Lions, Bengals, etc -- wherever running back projects land these days to extend their career and get one more shot before packing their bags for the CFL.

I'm wondering if there is someone on the Pats coaching staff who could work with Maroney. Like one other reader, I think that was part of BB's motivation for bringing in LaMont Jordan -- trying to take the place of Corey Dillon has a mentor to Maroney.

If this doesn't move, I wonder if the Pats give any thought to re-engineering Maroney into a Reggie Bush catching-balls-out-of-the-backfield threat. I'm guessing it's a long shot but it's a shame to see such "potential" go unrealized.

With Maroney more and more solidifying the beliefs of us bashers I expect the same type of scrutiny will be applied to TE Ben Watson. He has 3 catches for 17 yards so far this season after missing the first two games. Surely our offense needs better production from him since we absolutely lack any depth behind him and it's not like Watson or Dave Thomas are known for their blocking skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back