PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What's up with Marcus Cannon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe I am not being mostly correct when I state that, historically, the gameday offensive line has usually featured, when reduced to seven people, a backup swing tackle, and a backup OG/OC.

Not an OT/OG and an OG/OC. I honestly can't remember any backups the Pats have had that was a clear OT/OG. If they have an OG good enough to play credible OT in a pinch (i.e. Logan Mankins), then he's probably good enough to start at OG.

It's interesting to see that so many feel as though he is out of position at tackle, but Belichick addressed it yesterday at the presser, stating that he felt that Cannon's skillset made him a good fit at tackle.

To answer the OP's question, I simply think that he is still a developmental prospect. I personally do not want to see him as a starting RT this year, but I do think that he has potential down the road.

We may be able to get him more live game reps this year with the first line though, seeing as how the RT position is viewed by some/many as the easiest position to become accustomed to out of the 5 positions on the line.

It's interesting to see that so many feel as though he is out of position at tackle, but Belichick addressed it yesterday at the presser, stating that he felt that Cannon's skillset made him a good fit at tackle.

To answer the OP's question, I simply think that he is still a developmental prospect. I personally do not want to see him as a starting RT this year, but I do think that he has potential down the road.

We may be able to get him more live game reps this year with the first line though, seeing as how the RT position is viewed by some/many as the easiest position to become accustomed to out of the 5 positions on the line.

If BB leaves him at ROT, then Cannon must get help. TE, FB or chipping RB type help, Cannon absolutely can not live out there without help. He may be the only guy on the team slower than Spikes. How sad is that?

If BB leaves him at ROT, then Cannon must get help. TE, FB or chipping RB type help, Cannon absolutely can not live out there without help. He may be the only guy on the team slower than Spikes. How sad is that?

Yup absolutely pathetic that the 340 pound OL cant outrun a 260 pound LB :eek:

He played both guard and tackle last year. A lot of his RT plays were when Solder was lined up as a TE.

Line last year
Light, Mankins, Connolly, Waters, Solder

Cannon played an entire game against the Phins as the RT and was the primary reason that Cameron Wake didn't touch Brady.

People need to stop over-reacting to one game and look at the practice reports more closely. Cannon has won a majority of his 1-on-1s. He's not the permanent solution at RT, but that is where he's taken most of his snaps. And the reason is because of the concern with Vollmer's back.

The Patriots clearly need another swing tackle who could step in to help out since Cannon really isn't suit there and they don't have a back-up at LT other than Vollmer.

The part that worries me most is that this is exactly who he was in college. Pros: massive, powerful, explosive. Cons: poor lateral agility, slow off the snap, slow to raise his hands. And that is NOT the classic portrait of a Patriots-style offensive lineman.

Actually, what I read is that his lateral agility was remarkable for a player his size. That he had good footwork that allowed him to backpedal well, but that he has issues on pulling to the outside and trapping inside. Most of what I have read is that he has technique issues that need to be worked on.

People need to remember that Cannon is a work in progress. Both from the standpoint of his technique issues and from a teaching standpoint for Dante. And he was a 5th round pick despite his abundant talent.

I believe I am not being mostly correct when I state that, historically, the gameday offensive line has usually featured, when reduced to seven people, a backup swing tackle, and a backup OG/OC.

Not an OT/OG and an OG/OC. I honestly can't remember any backups the Pats have had that was a clear OT/OG. If they have an OG good enough to play credible OT in a pinch (i.e. Logan Mankins), then he's probably good enough to start at OG.

Tom Ashworth played OT and OG for the Pats. So did Brandon Gorin.

Why are folks blasting cannon? I think he's got a shot at RG/RT. Needed time to reload after last summer's volley with cancer.

Tom Ashworth played OT and OG for the Pats. So did Brandon Gorin.

It's not in their patriots.com profiles. Remember which games?

The Seahawks did move Ashworth to guard, mainly due to injuries. Is that what you were thinking of?

Cannon's ultimate best position IS probably RG. There he could evolve into a dominant road grader on runs and a solid pass blocker with great strength to neutralize pocket pushers. However he does have enough ability to be a solid RT, but perhaps not enough to be called dominant.

He's at RT now because that's where the team needs him. If Volmer comes back healthy, then he will eventually become a backup OT/OG, with the long term goal for him to replace Brian Waters.

And since we are on he topic of offensive tackles and I don't want to start another thread, I'd like to offer these thoughts on the currently much maligned Nate Solder. I was at practice yesterday and when the team went to 11 on 11 in front of the stands, I watched Solder closely going against Jones Bequette, Scott, and Cunningham, and I came to the following conclusion, based on this practice and my memory of the few time Solder was beaten last season.

I can't recall a time where Solder has been beaten to the outside on a pur speed rush, like we saw and hated on occasion with Matt Light. But rather when Solder has been beaten, its usually been when the rusher gives him a hard rush to the outside, then tries to cut underneath him to the inside. It was the move I say yesterday. It was the move the NO DE used, it was the move I saw beat him when he did give up sacks or QB hits last season.

The bad new is our LT has a weakness. The good news is its imminently fixable. Its simply a matter of experience. Its not something physical that he just can't do. He is explosively quick of the ball. Along with his long arms, this makes it almost impossible to beat to the outside. Ironically though this same explosiveness makes him vulnerable to that hard inside move off the outside rush. Fortunately this isn't about a lack of foot quickness, or strength, or athletic skill. This is a matter of experience and balance. Its a matter of being able not to over commit too early.

The more he sees this move the better he will be prepared to stop it. All we need to be is patient and we will have an upgrade over a top notch LT

BTW- much to my surprise, no one looked quicker going around the corner than Cunningham. It was worlds quicker than what I remember from his rookie year.

Last edited:
Mankins, Volmer, Waters, and Breathe

People need to stop over-reacting to one game and look at the practice reports more closely.

From Bedard's report today:

•Trevor Scott had little problem getting to the edge against Cannon, who looks really lost at this point. He’s had trouble against strength, and now he seems to be oversetting to prepare for that, and as a result is also susceptible to speed rushes.

I don't recall too many practice reports that have had too many great things to say about him, besides some comments about his "quick feet" and winning a couple/few one-on-one drills at times.

I agree with you that he has potential, and the fact that he has overcame the cancer scare (even though it was a very minor case in terms or the 8 scales of Hodgekin's) shows wonderous ability to keep fighting through adversity. I am not necessarily underplaying his accomplishments..at all. I do not believe that I personally could have made it, just trying to put it in perspective.

He is a developmental player on the offensive line, and although he probably shouldn't be a starter, he should compete for that role down the line.

Based on what little I have seen this spring from Cannon, it seems to me, he is really struggling to get off at the snap of the ball and the lateral agility is weak.

The part that worries me most is that this is exactly who he was in college.

That is exactly what I was gonna quote...and exactly what I was gonna say. :eek:

1 ~ Marcus Cannon commands exceptional Core Strength and remarkable Fluidity, two Attributes that I consider extremely important, but his Lateral Agility sucks. At either Tackle spot or even at Guard, that weakness could very well prove fatal in today's accelerating Game. And I wake up with night sweats ~ and not in a good way ~ when I imagine him trying to contain his man against the NasCar Giants, this Winter. :eek:

2 ~ It's only a clue ~ not conclusive ~ but his lack of Burst off the Blocks ~ aside from the obvious problems it entails ~ also leaves me deeply concerned about his Processing Speed. I'm not assailing the guy's Intelligence, believe me: I'm no dummy, and I'm quite sure I'd be even slower than him. But if my gut feeling is correct, and he's actually compounding bad Lateral Velocity with poor Processing Speed, while he's trying to pick up Stunts and such...I'm afraid the combination could prove fatal to both his chances of success in this league...and to our chances of winning the Super Bowl, if, as I greatly fear, he's placed in The Line of Fire.

It's not in their patriots.com profiles. Remember which games?

The Seahawks did move Ashworth to guard, mainly due to injuries. Is that what you were thinking of?

I thought I remembered Ashworth moving to guard in a pinch once as well but could be mistaken. I'm pretty sure Nick Kazcur also played at guard in a pinch. Both of these speak to your point that if they're good enough to play backup tackle their good enough to start at guard since they both started at guard.

The sooner Belichick counts his losses with this guy at tackle and moves him inside to develop the better. Wasting him away at Tackle and anyone who watches his college tape and watched him closely a week ago can SEE that.

The sooner Belichick counts his losses with this guy at tackle and moves him inside to develop the better. Wasting him away at Tackle and anyone who watches his college tape and watched him closely a week ago can SEE that.

Assuming G is his destination, remember that pre-season is for cross training. BB's stated preference with the OL roster is that you can be a backup to a 2nd position. We haven't played game 2 of 4 yet.

Last edited:
Assuming G is his destination, remember that pre-season is for cross training. BB's stated preference with the OL roster is that you can be a backup to a 2nd position. We haven't played game 2 of 4 yet.

That's very true. I could see him filling in to an adequate standard as a Tackle but I don't think he should be talked up as one. Fortunately we're pretty set a Gaurd for now with some talented depth so I can see why he's being tested out there. I personally thnk his skill set would be put to better use in the guard position. Solely at right guard for me.

Why are folks blasting cannon? I think he's got a shot at RG/RT. Needed time to reload after last summer's volley with cancer.

I'm not blasting him. I just don't think that his best fit is at RT, it's just where we need him right now. I think that, with work, he could be a fine RG.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back