Welcome to PatsFans.com

What's up with Marcus Cannon?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by RayClay, Aug 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RayClay

RayClay Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +1,509 / 19 / -17

#75 Jersey

I know it's early, but I've never read so many bad reports about someone who was supposed to be a steal. Great story and I'm happy he's healthy (is he?) but there's simply nothing good in any reports I've seen.

Anyone going to practice to report here? It's still the Not For Long league and that goes double for the Patriots these days with all they've invested at other positions.

2. deters

deters Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +282 / 23 / -7

#87 Jersey

hes a guard playing RT and struggling. nothing more to do with it

3. Gwedd

Gwedd PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +619 / 9 / -1

#61 Jersey

I'm in agreement here. We'll see how it plays out over the next couple pre-season games before I start to become concerned.

4. RayClay

RayClay Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +1,509 / 19 / -17

#75 Jersey

What do you base that on? McDonald was an UDFA tackle who seems able to play both positions (limited time frame at tackle).

You're saying Cannon has played better at guard than him? I'm not sure Cannon has played guard, has he?

5. deters

Ratings:
    +282 / 23 / -7

#87 Jersey

He played guard last year and some snaps at RT last year. In college he played RT, but thats college and he was projected to be a better offensive guard prospect than tackle in the NFL.

6. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3,887 / 191 / -145

Disable Jersey

While other players were building up to the NFL in their post-draft season, Marcus Cannon was busy fighting cancer. While other rookies were having lockout shortened training camps, Marcus Cannon was on the PUP list. While other rookies were playing in the NFL, Marcus Cannong was remaining on the in-season PUP list and not getting activated until week 10.

Marcus Cannon isn't a rookie, but he's just about as close to one as you can get, so all the nervousness after one exhibition game seems a bit premature to me. I don't know if he'll ever pan out, but I think people have really jumped the gun here.

7. hellolin

hellolin On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

The whole O-line is in a mess right now after two of our most stable player of the years went out,(light retires and Mankins hurt), and this is what you get out of everyone else, Cannon struggling, Koppen might be cut, ect.

8. RayClay

RayClay Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +1,509 / 19 / -17

#75 Jersey

I understand that. I'm just wondering, since this is a football forum.

Did he play a lot of guard last year? i thought he played mostly tackle. Actually played well, by all reports.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  9. RayClay

RayClay Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +1,509 / 19 / -17

#75 Jersey

Those statements are true and possibly true IMO.

10. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +452 / 12 / -14

When Cannon was drafted he projected to be a G in the pros, due to retirement/injuries he is put into a role that he wasn't intended to play

We hope that Waters comes back and Vollmer get healthy it becomes a moot point and Cannon and MacDonald are back to the Dante finishing school for large boys.

11. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3,887 / 191 / -145

Disable Jersey

You are correct about the tackle issue. I'm not sure what your point was with the "this is a football forum" comment, since my initial reply was a football reply.

12. deters

Ratings:
    +282 / 23 / -7

#87 Jersey

He played both guard and tackle last year. A lot of his RT plays were when Solder was lined up as a TE.

Line last year
    Light, Mankins, Connolly, Waters, Solder

13. RayClay

RayClay Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +1,509 / 19 / -17

#75 Jersey

My point was that i admire him for what he has overcome. I think his health is more important than any football game.

He seems to be really struggling this year and i wonder if there is a reason that he can overcome. when I read he is being flat overpowered and also beaten badly by the speed of Ninkovich, for one I'm looking for anything positive (in drills, scrimmages or the game) that anyone has said about his play. I don't live in the area, had to work through the first half of the exhibition game and rely on others opinions/insights here and in the press.

I am not aware that he has played much, if at all, at guard, he's played tackle here last year and in his college career.

14. RayClay

RayClay Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +1,509 / 19 / -17

#75 Jersey

How many snaps did he play at guard? More than at tackle? Why are you listing the lineup without him to show how much he played at guard?

15. deters

Ratings:
    +282 / 23 / -7

#87 Jersey

I'm not sure how many snaps at each and would have to look it up. I listed the lineup without him because he was a reserve linemen who only filled in due to injuries, special teams or packages with Solder at TE.

16. Joey007

Joey007 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +435 / 9 / -3

#91 Jersey

Like many commenters have already said, there's nothing "up" with him, he's just playing the wrong position.

17. RayClay

RayClay Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +1,509 / 19 / -17

#75 Jersey

Well, it's his position according to the coach, so they'll need to work that out.

Bill Belichick Press Conference Transcript

18. RayClay

RayClay Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +1,509 / 19 / -17

#75 Jersey

By the way, I'm aware solder is also struggling, but left tackle is tougher and he's not getting beat in drills that I'm aware of. Could be something as simple as a sore foot, who knows?

19. ATippett56

ATippett56 Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +567 / 19 / -26

It Is What It Is » Ten Things We Learned Monday at Patriots Training Camp

20. UK_Pat37

UK_Pat37 Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +84 / 7 / -10

#12 Jersey

Because, and I've been stressing this over and over....HE'S NOT A TACKLE. He never was, he's not got the skil set to bea tackle in the NFL and he had to fill in because of injuries last season at the tackle position and will fillin this year until we have the players there.

Cannon will be a fine guard, but he's not going to be suited at tackle. Last week's preseason game and this training camp is proving that.

Similarly to the McCourty to safety talk and Edelman to DB permanently, this is media fuelled non-topic hype. I don't trust Belichicks instincts on cannon as a tackle....and if he feels like that's his best position, I'm a little worried if he and solder combine and string out performances like that.

I'd rather have him as an athletic guard than a tackle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.