PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What's Up With Colvin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoCal Pmen

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
Unless I missed it, I haven't seen any reported interest in him. Either his injury must be really serious or his asking price is too high. Maybe he'll come back cheap?

Unless I missed it, I haven't seen any reported interest in him. Either his injury must be really serious or his asking price is too high. Maybe he'll come back cheap?
they have parted ways and the pats are moving in a different direction per colvin himself

FA is a long period. If he doesn't catch on elsewhere -- which I find doubtful -- I could see his return as a possibility. He wasn't worth what he was costing going forward, and evidently restructuring placed his value below what he thought he could get on the FA market.

At some point his value in the Pats' calculations would match what he could command in free agency, if his value is perceived as low enough "out there." I just don't think that's how it ends... he will get picked up by somebody.

PFnV

He was on WEEI yesterday and it was a great interview.

He said the Patriots never offered him a "return at less $$$" offer.

He said he is still in the healing process but will begin shoppiing himself soon.

He said he considers himself one of the elite OLB's in the league and will look
for $$$ that is currently being earned by the top players in the league at the OLB position.

He did not comment on would he return for less if all that failed I don't think.

He also said he knew several days before the media reported it that he was being sliced from the roster. Belichick has always been great at informing his guys well before the media is aware of things. He said he looks upon his 5 years here with great fondness of friends, teams and fans.

They also asked him about matt Walsh ... he said you caould tell all the guys what play is coming and many times either team already sort of knows anyways because they are preparred ... anyways he said you could tell the defense what play is being run but you still have to tackle .. he said he's missed his share of important tackles ... everyone does. So knowing a play is of small importance to execution itself.

He said alot more .. real funny guy ... but that's the meat.

Last edited:
Colvin is a very good outside linebacker when he can stay healthy. I think that is the Pats main concern, he just cannot stay on the field particularly at the end of the season. That plus his contract escalation (bonus) clause did him in. I thought he may return but now I think the partys over for Colvin in New England.

Colvin is a walking sick note.

Seriously... I would rather have two average players who stayed fit than one good player who was like Tampax. In one week, out for three more.

Seriously... I would rather have two average players who stayed fit than one good player who was like Tampax. In one week, out for three more.

Um, Colvin was IR'ed in 2003 and in 2007. If I recall correctly, he was healthy for ALL of '04-'06

Um, Colvin was IR'ed in 2003 and in 2007. If I recall correctly, he was healthy for ALL of '04-'06

He was out with cramps for a lot of the AFCC loss to Indy.

He was out with cramps for a lot of the AFCC loss to Indy.

I think you may be downplaying the significance of Colvin to the Pats.

And was pulled from 4 games in those seasons IIRC. Colvin doesnt offer good value for his price tag. Sorry, but this cut was long overdue.

Aside from injury, the first one was very freaky... the issue with him is that he seems to have difficulty shedding blocks, and holding the edge.. although he considers himself as elite, he seems above average at best. Not minimizing his role, only what I see.

He was going to be paid way more than his value was..I think in 05 and def in 06 he was returning to where he was before the injury...In spots..that is NOT all the time..Indy MAY be a place where he would play..I think that is very possible esp with his ties there..Not sure if he would return..but things can happen..

I just caught the replay of that interview this AM. BTW he wasn't the only guy cramping up in the dome in 2006...and a couple of stalwarts on that D have missed more time than Rosie come to think of it...

He's a neat guy, can see why they will also miss his presence in the locker room. Talked about how they made way more friends here beyond teamates, neighbors, kids teachers since his kids were in school here, media (he actually considers D&H friends and said he will call them when he signs somewhere). Said he knew that day when they talked, but it hadn't been finalized or made public. Said he and his wife were prepared because they knew the looming cap # was likely going to be an issue (and Liveshot - there were no bonus escalators, just salary and some restructured bonus from early cap saving maneuvers that upped the hit). Said he had been hoping for an extension since last season, but Bill told him they were moving in another direction and it was best for both sides to just get on with it - he won't be back.

Said he's had interest from a couple of teams so far but it's all preliminary and his agent is handling it, he's not going to visit teams unless he thinks there is a reasonable expectation they are in the same ball park contractually. Said there is always a period after the first wave of signings in FA where teams re evaluate including what they may do in the draft. Said the foot is progressing fine, he's running and has had all the rechecks and no setbacks. Said he doesn't think it will be an impediment to a deal, said he had shoulder surgery for an injury he had played with since college in January 2002, and the Patriots were fine with that, teams make those evaluations every day. Quoted Bill a lot - it is what it is, we are moving on... he is a funny guy, and I don't think he harbors any ill will whatsoever. They asked him if it was a relief to be able to talk about injuries...said he's a grown man, they could always talk if they chose to but they buy in to doing what Bill prefers. Said his job now is to get the best deal for his family, finances are part of it, also wanting the right situation for a young family and winning. It all factors in.

Said he will be back, hopes to continue to do his Easter Seals benefit annually here. They talked about the "backerhood" being a forever thing, you don't get kicked out of it unless you really screw up... Is doing some sort of island golf get away later this month where fans get to mess around with several present and former NFL players for charity. He got about a dozen plugs in, had D&H chuckling, told him he has a future in radio, so he told them they know where to find him and he will be interested! Said he wishes to NFL would move on so we could pay attention to other things like a governor resigning over a prostitution scandal...I think most of the guys are tired of it, want closure just because it's so stupid. Said he's tried recollecting but couldn't put a face to the Walsh name either. They did ask him (jokingly) if Eric had touched base with him yet, and he said he doesn't think Eric is doing much visiting in NE these days nor should he for security reasons...

I'm sure he will get a deal that puts that $5.5M in his hand in bonus money and averages around what his 2002 deal did here ($4M+). Remember, AD's "discounted" 2007 market OLB deal included $20M in bonus and guarantees and averages $7M+... This parting will remain a bit of a head scratcher to me for that reason...

What is Tampax like?

I think you may be downplaying the significance of Colvin to the Pats.
Naw, it's better to go with the flow and call the guy an injury prone bum. No need to watch the last Pats v. Indy game, one in which the Pats played mostly in a 43 with Colvin seeing far more snaps than AD. I think Colvin helped seal the win with a late fourth quarter FF and an INT to boot, but what's the point? He was an injury waiting to happen and a bum.:rolleyes:

Naw, it's better to go with the flow and call the guy an injury prone bum. No need to watch the last Pats v. Indy game, one in which the Pats played mostly in a 43 with Colvin seeing far more snaps than AD. I think Colvin helped seal the win with a late fourth quarter FF and an INT to boot, but what's the point? He was an injury waiting to happen and a bum.:rolleyes:

He's no Pierre Woods, that's for sure.

I wish my employer would pay to keep me after missing every Monday and Friday over the last 5 years.

I wish my employer would pay to keep me after missing every Monday and Friday over the last 5 years.

Yeah, exactly. Now if I could just find a place like that and they give you every other Wednsday off too I'd be in heaven.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes