PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What's up with Branch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fgssand

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I wish we would re-sign or extend his deal already. We really need this guy happy and in the right frame of mind to teach Reche and Chad the system.

DB deserves a new deal - he has been a loyal player and has contributed significantly.

BB & SP - PLEASE lock up this guy for the next 4 or 5 years!!

Geez -- I'd forgotten about Branch's contract. Thanks for adding to my worries.

I didn't know Branch had to teach the system to the rooks and FA's..... I bet he'll want more money now.....

Branch holds most of the cards in this negotiation and I'm sure his agent has mentioned it to BB more than once.

I agree we need to lock him up long term, because he is going to be a good player long term.
However, teaching other WRs isnt part of his job. We have coaches for that.

Sure, he will interact with them, and can share some knowledge, but if he is good at that, he will do it whether he has a new contract or not.

I always find it funny that we assume any good player not only would be a good teacher, but also that it is realistic to assume they actually are charged with that duty.

I thought I recall reading some where that they can't start negotiations with Branch until June?

I am probably going to take heat for this...

I don't know about paying DB big bucks as a #1 receiver. I did not think he came up really big last year in key games. I thought he dissapeared in the Denver games in particular. I think he is a great #2 receiver but slightly better than average #1 receiver.

2005 DB was 15th in recept., 20th in rec yds and 31st in rec tds.

Branch, Graham & Koppen are the next important FA signings. I like to lock all of then up for the next 4 years.

rabthepat said:
I don't know about paying DB big bucks as a #1 receiver. I did not think he came up really big last year in key games. I thought he dissapeared in the Denver games in particular. I think he is a great #2 receiver but slightly better than average #1 receiver.

I agree. I love Branch, but put me in the camp of those who don't want to overpay to retain him.

I simply don't think he should get paid dominant #1WR money a la Steve Smith or Chad Johnson. He just isn't that type of player.

As mentioned above, he tends to totally disappear vs. top defenders.

The Patriots are working on a long-term deal with Branch. My understanding was that he seems more inclined than some to get a deal done to remain in N.E. As for the delay, you may not have heard, but a semi-important landmark of the off-season just took place, called "the draft." I think re-doing Deion's deal hasn't exactly been on the front-burner, as of late.

rabthepat said:

Huh?

WK Date Opp Score Rec Yds Ypc Lng TD
6 Oct 16 @ DEN L 20-28 7 87 12.4 19 0
Divisional @ DEN L 13-27 8 153 19.1 73 0

rabthepat said:

Big deal. Peyton Manning had 49 Passing TDs in 2004. Does that make him a better QB than Tom Brady?

In 2004, didn't Neal roll over on Branch's leg at Arizona? I know it was a freakish injury, he was on pace for a 1500-yard season that year.

Last season he was double-teamed frequently.

We might have lost to the Eagles in SB 39 if Branch didn't step up his game. I had no problem with him winning the SB 39 MVP. According to KC Joyner, The Football Scientist, Branch led all WRs in overall Comp% in 2004 (Including Playoffs)

Branch would have had a 1,000-yard season iin 2005 if the Pats have tried to win the Miami game. He finished with 998 rec yards.

Here's Branch's Postseason Stats...

HTML:
 Year  Opp   Result  |  RSH    YD  TD  |  REC    YD  TD
---------------------+-----------------+-----------------
 2003  ten  W,17-14  |    0     0   0  |    3    10   0
 2003  ind  W,24-14  |    0     0   0  |    2    23   0
*2003  car  W,32-29  |    0     0   0  |   10   143   1
 2004  ind  W,20-3   |    1     4   0  |    1    15   0
 2004  pit  W,41-27  |    2    37   1  |    4   116   1
*2004  phi  W,24-21  |    0     0   0  |   11   133   0
 2005  jax  W,28-3   |    0     0   0  |    2    36   0
 2005  den  L,13-27  |    0     0   0  |    8   153   0
TOTAL                |    3    41   1  |   41   629   2

We need him. IMO, Branch may be content trying to have a big statistical season and testing free agency. If that's the case, we'd better hope Chad Jackson develops ASAP.

It would be a sad day for New England if Branch walks in 2007.

Last edited:
tombonneau said:
I agree. I love Branch, but put me in the camp of those who don't want to overpay to retain him.

I simply don't think he should get paid dominant #1WR money a la Steve Smith or Chad Johnson. He just isn't that type of player.

As mentioned above, he tends to totally disappear vs. top defenders.

Here's Branch's 2005 game log. Keep in mind, he was frequently double-teamed. BTW Givens, who I won't miss, didn't do much to take the heat off Branch. IMO, he'll be a FA bust in Tennessee.

HTML:
+----------+--------+-------------+----+
| WK  OPP  |  RSHYD |  REC   YD   | TD |
|  1  oak  |     0  |    7    99  |  1 |
|  2  car  |     0  |    8    60  |  0 |
|  3  pit  |     0  |    6    78  |  0 |
|  4  sdg  |     0  |    1     6  |  0 |
|  5  atl  |     0  |    8   107  |  0 |
|  6  den  |     0  |    7    87  |  0 |
|  8  buf  |     0  |    3    92  |  1 |
|  9  ind  |     0  |    5    58  |  1 |
| 10  mia  |     0  |    5    82  |  0 |
| 11  nor  |     0  |    5    38  |  1 |
| 12  kan  |     0  |    5    49  |  0 |
| 13  nyj  |     0  |    5    44  |  0 |
| 14  buf  |     0  |    5    83  |  0 |
| 15  tam  |     0  |    2    27  |  0 |
| 16  nyj  |     0  |    4    69  |  0 |
| 17  mia  |     0  |    2    19  |  1 |
|  TOTAL   |     0  |   78   998  |  5 |

Deion Branch is worth a good, solid raise. They will pay him. There's no way he's leaving. Just be patient. He is PERFECT for Brady and this system.

Don't get me wrong...

Brady-To-Branch said:
Huh?

WK Date Opp Score Rec Yds Ypc Lng TD
6 Oct 16 @ DEN L 20-28 7 87 12.4 19 0
Divisional @ DEN L 13-27 8 153 19.1 73 0

Big deal. Peyton Manning had 49 Passing TDs in 2004. Does that make him a better QB than Tom Brady?

In 2004, didn't Neal roll over on Branch's leg at Arizona? I know it was a freakish injury, he was on pace for a 1500-yard season that year.

Last season he was double-teamed frequently.

We might have lost to the Eagles in SB 39 if Branch didn't step up his game. I had no problem with him winning the SB 39 MVP. According to KC Joyner, The Football Scientist, Branch led all WRs in overall Comp% in 2004 (Including Playoffs)

Branch would have had a 1,000-yard season iin 2005 if the Pats have tried to win the Miami game. He finished with 998 rec yards.

Here's Branch's Postseason Stats...

HTML:
 Year  Opp   Result  |  RSH    YD  TD  |  REC    YD  TD
 2003  ten  W,17-14  |    0     0   0  |    3    10   0
 2003  ind  W,24-14  |    0     0   0  |    2    23   0
*2003  car  W,32-29  |    0     0   0  |   10   143   1
 2004  ind  W,20-3   |    1     4   0  |    1    15   0
 2004  pit  W,41-27  |    2    37   1  |    4   116   1
*2004  phi  W,24-21  |    0     0   0  |   11   133   0
 2005  jax  W,28-3   |    0     0   0  |    2    36   0
 2005  den  L,13-27  |    0     0   0  |    8   153   0
TOTAL                |    3    41   1  |   41   629   2

We need him. IMO, Branch may be content trying to have a big statistical season and testing free agency. If that's the case, we'd better hope Chad Jackson develops ASAP.

It would be a sad day for New England if Branch walks in 2007.

I am a DB fan and want him on our team. I just would not pay him too much to keep him. To me he is a player who could be replaced by at least 10 other NFL receivers. Tom Brady and Richard Seymour are examples of guys who are top tier talent and I would pay bank to keep them.

Some points on the Denver games, he did have 0 TDs in the 2 games. In the first game he had a drive ending drop near the end of the game. It was a hard hit but it was an important catch. In the second game, when Tom threw the 99 yds INT he was going to Troy Brown. To me that play should be going to the #1 receiver.

I also have to admit I am biased towards taller receivers. I am excited about Chad Jackson and his potential. If he is good to great next year I don't see Bill B paying DB big money.

I would certainly rather have Tom Brady than Peyton Manning on our team. Tom is the perfect fit for us. Yet, I am not a Peyton basher. I actually respect Peyton's talent. Go to NFL.com and look at Peytons career numbers. The guy has unbelievable stats. He and his team have choked but if he can win just 1 Superbowl he will go down as one of the NFL all time great QBs. John Elway was in the same boat as Peyton until he won SBs.

Last edited:
Brady-To-Branch said:
Here's Branch's 2005 game log. Keep in mind, he was frequently double-teamed. BTW Givens, who I won't miss, didn't do much to take the heat off Branch. IMO, he'll be a FA bust in Tennessee.

HTML:
| WK  OPP  |  RSHYD |  REC   YD   | TD |
|  1  oak  |     0  |    7    99  |  1 |
|  2  car  |     0  |    8    60  |  0 |
|  3  pit  |     0  |    6    78  |  0 |
|  4  sdg  |     0  |    1     6  |  0 |
|  5  atl  |     0  |    8   107  |  0 |
|  6  den  |     0  |    7    87  |  0 |
|  8  buf  |     0  |    3    92  |  1 |
|  9  ind  |     0  |    5    58  |  1 |
| 10  mia  |     0  |    5    82  |  0 |
| 11  nor  |     0  |    5    38  |  1 |
| 12  kan  |     0  |    5    49  |  0 |
| 13  nyj  |     0  |    5    44  |  0 |
| 14  buf  |     0  |    5    83  |  0 |
| 15  tam  |     0  |    2    27  |  0 |
| 16  nyj  |     0  |    4    69  |  0 |
| 17  mia  |     0  |    2    19  |  1 |
|  TOTAL   |     0  |   78   998  |  5 |

Wow, fascinating to see that game long. Only one 100yd game (well two I guess; 99 vs. OAK).

No slight to Deion, but that game log of the Pats #1WR is why they don't need to pay any WR bigtime #1WR money. It's simply unnecessary in the Pats O.

And I agree with you re: Givens being a bit time bust in Tenny. That actually could work in the Pats favor: If Givens tanks in Tenn, it might cause other teams to shy away from giving Branch big bucks and attribute any success for Pats WRs to "The System."

rabthepat said:

Not exactly accurate. As a matter of fact, Branch has performed pretty will in big games. Is he Chad Johnson or Steve Smith? No. But even the guys who make the big bucks dont drop of 100 yard games each and every week.

Super Bowl 38 -- 10-143 TD
Super Bowl 39 -- 11-133 MVP

vs. Denver 7-87
vs. Denver 8-153
(So the guy who "didn't come up really big against Denver last year" according to you had 15 catches for 240 yards against the Broncos last season in two games. No touches, but still one solid and one very good game against a very good defense. The play you mentioned before was BRADY's FAULT. He would be the first to tell you that. The fact DB wasn't open on that particular play is hardly an indictment of the way he played in the game.)

vs. Atlanta 9-107

vs Pitt 6-78

vs. Indy 7-86, TD (Sept)

vs. Pitt 4-116, TD, 2 rush 37 yds. TD (AFC title game)

vs. Denver 3-107 TD

vs. Philly 6-89 TD

vs. Indy 6-64 TD

Last edited:
rabthepat said:
I think he is a great #2 receiver but slightly better than average #1 receiver.

Now that we have Jackson, we don't need him to be our No.1.

patsox23 said:
The Patriots are working on a long-term deal with Branch. My understanding was that he seems more inclined than some to get a deal done to remain in N.E. As for the delay, you may not have heard, but a semi-important landmark of the off-season just took place, called "the draft." I think re-doing Deion's deal hasn't exactly been on the front-burner, as of late.

Bingo!!! I'm thinking that they will be waiting until most of their high-end rooks are signed. Hopefully no hold-outs this year! :rolleyes:
I seem to recall a report that they've been working on DB's contract since last year(much like Sey's) and I'm sure they'll get something done.

He may not be Brady or Seymour, but Branch is special. What other WR was taken out for the entire preseason? What other WR is encouraged to 'turtle' as soon as he makes a catch in coverage? Do you remember the video showing Branch and Brady, when Branch said he didn't have to hear anything, he could tell by Brady's look which pattern to run.

Look at how many times Brady yells at receivers, backs and tight-ends at their interpretation and response to coverages and formations. Brady needs a guy on the field who is always in the right place at the right time.

Patience. It will all work out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes