PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What's the story with Vereen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you want me to tell you. That you know more than a guy who's covered the league for over a decade and is a daily reporter?

I don't want you to tell me anything. I was making a comment to a prior comment you made, I thought that's how message boards work. I wasn't attacking you or the reporter, I was commenting that the Pats shouldn't be thinking that they have the luxury of redshirting 2nd and 3rd rounders with the makeup of the roster they currently have.

This is my issue.

And if BJGE, Woodhead, and Faulk were playing well it would be fine. But BJGE's toe is clearly hindering him and he's not been effective since the first Jets game, Woodhead has been ineffective until the 2nd half of last week, and Faulk is a shell of his former self right now. We clearly could use a spark at the position, or at least be able to sit BJGE and give the rooks more of a workload to let his toe heel, but 2 high picks are just pissing away on the sideline.

Completely agree.

I agree with a few others here....Faulk is on his last legs...BB likes what he brings in the locker room and as a mentor to the kids......

Ridley and Vereen are potential RB's for the future.....Vereen was slowed by injury early on....no rush witth BJGE and Woody along with Faulk carrying the rock.....Ridley and Vereen will get their turn next season...Ridley is already well on his way...Vereen will get his shot...but would like to see some plays from him this season......

In BB We Trust :)

Google Shane Vereen + Laurence Maroney + Dance and then pay $3.95 if you wish to read more.

Shane Vereen won't dance around subject - BostonHerald.com

Came across this from the Sporting News after the draft. It was complimentary of him but did say that he "Is a major liability in pass protection because he gives poor effort and uses bad technique." Projected as a 4th rounder.

Round 2, Pick 24: New England Patriots - 2011 NFL Draft - NFL - Sporting News

Mystery solved. A second rounder on a third down back in the Patriots offense who can't block. I'm not sure what kind of sense that makes.

Oh, so you didn't "hear" anything. You read some opinions on the internet and think it's fact now. Good for you.

How about we see what he does when he gets on the field (or not) this season or next before we start the "blown pick" anti hype?

Read what your references say and then think about it... he's undersized and needs to learn to block. Since the Pats are doing okay with their running back situation right now, there's no need to rush him into the lineup. Maybe he's spent the last 4 months in the weight room and getting some instruction on what he'll need later in the season or next year.

I'm just speculating... but then again, so are you. :D

I don't want you to tell me anything. I was making a comment to a prior comment you made, I thought that's how message boards work. I wasn't attacking you or the reporter, I was commenting that the Pats shouldn't be thinking that they have the luxury of redshirting 2nd and 3rd rounders with the makeup of the roster they currently have.

This seems to be the new in response with most posters.. hehehehe.

Any how, there depth a RB is much better this year than last. Not having to depend on Morris if someone goes down is very refreshing. WE're a pass 1st team and all of the RB's can play all 3 downs, which is refreshing.

He should at least be able to return kicks given our sub par returners and if it's because of the blocking that should have been factored in when drafting him in the second. I've heard that he's a dancer like Maroney, maybe they're trying to cure him of that - again, should have been factored in. Maybe it's his health but he has played some special teams.

Oh, so you didn't "hear" anything. You read some opinions on the internet and think it's fact now. Good for you.

How about we see what he does when he gets on the field (or not) this season or next before we start the "blown pick" anti hype?

Read what your references say and then think about it... he's undersized and needs to learn to block. Since the Pats are doing okay with their running back situation right now, there's no need to rush him into the lineup. Maybe he's spent the last 4 months in the weight room and getting some instruction on what he'll need later in the season or next year.

I'm just speculating... but then again, so are you. :D

Right, so a news article doesn't qualify. Got it.

I never presented it as fact, I said I heard it. Generally, someone doesn't use words like "I've heard and "maybe" when presenting a statement as fact.

How about I'll judge the pick however the hell I want to judge the pick and a rb who's "undersized and needs to learn to block" may not have been the wisest choice in the 2nd round. And if they don't need him than the pick makes even less sense.

However you make a very compelling argument with;

"Maybe he's spent the last 4 months in the weight room and getting some instruction on what he'll need later in the season or next year."

You've really turned the table on me with that one. What a well thought out and provocative statement. You've really shown yourself to be a master of debate with that ingenious statement. Well done!

Last edited:
This seems to be the new in response with most posters.. hehehehe.

Any how, there depth a RB is much better this year than last. Not having to depend on Morris if someone goes down is very refreshing. WE're a pass 1st team and all of the RB's can play all 3 downs, which is refreshing.

I thought there were 4 downs in football.

Faulk has become the Tim Wakefield of the Patriots.

that is such a fantastic comparison^^^ 100% TRUTH

way to go man you are spot on:)

I thank Faulk for his service to this GREAT franchise, but he has no place on this team w/ Vereen waiting by. I don't care if Faulk is a " good blocker" that skill has diminished quite a bit. Give me the young guy and lets plug him in and see what he can do on the field. Faulk is very slow. Vereen can do everything Faulk can but w/ SPEED. I admit Vereen doesn't know the system like Faulk.
Faulk needs to be inactive... :rocker:

Last edited:
He's not going to get regular snaps until they trust him in blitz pickup. He fell behind on learning blitz pickup when he missed most of preseason.

Ding Ding Ding No pass protection, no play, play.

No one wants to be known as the person who missed the block that ended Brandy's career. Hello Sammy Morris.

I hated the pick at the time (rb's are a dime a dozen), but now that he is here I expect him to be a contributor by the end of the year, most rb's don't last the season.

Last edited:
Patience is a luxury that few teams are afforded, as a fan you should be thankful.

Vereen is a future pick. BJGE and Faulk both will be free-agents after the 2011 season. Woodhead is only signed through 2012.

Be happy that there are currently enough good options on your football team to allow a talented rookie to learn for a year while experienced players keep the offensive engine running smoothly.

using Faulk over Vereen will hurt the development of our rookie.

Vereen is not good enough to surpass Faulk (i doubt that) BB has a softie for Faulk and thyat is a huge part of why vereen is not playing.

Vereen probably is learning slow like ocho... but don't underestimate the softness factor of playing Faulk b/c he was a legend in the past.

I really hope Vereengets onboard and knows his sh!t so we can have a dynamic RB for a playoff run. Faulk is just plain slow:eek:.

Give me Faulk any day against a team that likes to blitz. I wouldn't trust the rookies in a one and done playoff game. I agree that he is past his prime but experience counts for a lot in the post season.

Faulk has become the Tim Wakefield of the Patriots.

I do wish that he didn't take snaps from Ridley/Vereen but i think his leadership might be a bigger factor for the team + i think Brady trusts him with his life.

Vereen story is the same as Price he's not good a nuff to be on the field right now, i just wish they would give BJGE 20 att per game

Makes you wonder though...barring an injury will we even see Vereen this season?

Makes you wonder though...barring an injury will we even see Vereen this season?

if the bills go down the toilet and that last game of the season means notting we could see a lot of Vereen Price and maybe even Ryan Mallett lol

if the bills go down the toilet and that last game of the season means notting we could see a lot of Vereen Price and maybe even Ryan Mallett lol

funnily enough these are the games i love to see at the end of the season. having a look at a full game from players like Mallet at QB Vareen and Ridley at RB. Solder and Cannon playing a full game on the line. Price once again at WR. In saying that... the D is already no name enough for my liking hahah

Vereen story is the same as Price he's not good a nuff to be on the field right now

This seems to be the answer right here. He currently isn't good enough to beat out the other RB's. He's on the current 53 man roster for absolute depth in a worst case scenario + the obvious thoughts of keeping him for the future.

Sciz mentions blitz pickup learning as a problem--I would think that comes in to play too; and blitz pickup will always be a very serious thing around here, and in the NFL in general.

NePatriots mentions the fact that he was a pick aimed toward the future, so that's certainly a reason.

And randomk1 mentions the fact that we have not really experienced any injuries at the position, so I'd agree with that thinking.

I'd put him in the same category as a guy like Price, who is just not going to beat out the 2011 version of guys ahead of him. Heck, even Ridley (who seems to have some kind of niche here, albeit small) rarely sees any carries.

I'd hardly be concerned in year one.

And randomk1 mentions the fact that we have not really experienced any injuries at the position, so I'd agree with that thinking.

I would still like Vereen do get a shot tbh. I think he does have alot of ability and could be a contributor.

You look at the Cowboys...their running game sucked(ranked like last in the league) in the early part of the year and the team was struggling. Felix Jones gets injured and they have to start Murray and the entire team is playing better football because of it. Do you really know what kind of a player you have if you don't put him on the football field? And it's not like we have AP starting.

Last edited:
I would still like Vereen do get a shot tbh. I think he does have alot of ability and could be a contributor.

You look at the Cowboys...their running game sucked(ranked like last in the league) in the early part of the year and the team was struggling. Felix Jones gets injured and they have to start Murray and the entire team is playing better football because of it. Do you really know what kind of a player you have if you don't put him on the football field? And it's not like we have AP starting.

I see your thinking, no doubt. But there's also other factors to consider, like knowing the playbook and offense effectively enough, knowing Brady's audibles and tendencies etc. The afforementioned bltz pickup--which is a very important thing when dealing with an oncoming blitzer like Tamba Hali, Bart Scott, etc. There's also the fact that we have to trust Belichick and the other coaches in assessing whether he's "ready" or not, and apparently they do not think so.

The fact that he can't contribute on ST's yet is certainly another big factor to consider, as he'd have to yank away a 45/46 man game day roster position from someone else. Hell, Price can't seem to do that either, but that simply speaks for the quality of the guys in front of him (in my opinion).

Like I said, not playing in a position of great depth in year one means absolutely nothing, but if he can't contribute much in year two I'd start to be concerned.

I'd certainly agree with you that the running game could use a spark like that of DeMarco Murray, but we don't know what factors went into that call either. To be honest, it seemed to be much more of an injury factor thing there, as Jones and Choice (when still with the team) BOTH went down, leaving them with no other options.

They do things a little weird out there in Dallas with roster moves, as my wife is a die-hard fan. Strangely enough, they had absolutely no depth at RB, but chose to keep 2 placekickers on the 53 man roster. It's personnel decisions like that which speak volumes for their franchise :confused:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey