Welcome to PatsFans.com

What's the story with Maroney

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Patslifer, Sep 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Patslifer

Patslifer Banned

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

He is either really good, or really bad.....not a very consistant runnner, imo. At first, I thought it was the run blocking, but after watching Faulk and Jordan tear it up, I don't think that was the case. How long are we going to excuse his "dancing" and poor running? I have yet to see this kid break off a run for a td, and I fear he will never be anything more than an outside runner, who has his flashes, but is never a consistant runner.

How do you guys feel?

Ps: Clearly he is made out of glass:rolleyes:;)
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2008
  2. patsox23

patsox23 Rookie

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Re: Whats the story with Maroney

Laurence Maroney, on the vast majority of his carries, get creamed in the backfield and suffered from horrendous run-blocking. I don't think it's a big deal, but I expect the sky-is-falling crowd will vociferously agree and go nuts on this thread.
  3. BradyToMoss

BradyToMoss Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I agree, I think alot of people on this board overrate him. But, I would much rather have him spell Lamont Jordan instead of the other way around. He's unbelievably timid as soon as he gets the handoff almost waiting to get hit instead of surging immeditately into the seam like you see Jordan and Morris do.

For the people who love Maroney, try and prove your case, the consistency just isn't there. I wouldn't blame the OL, because Jordan and Morris run behind that same O-Line.
  4. WhiZa

WhiZa Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Jordan looked better against a tired Jets D in the 4th quarter. Jordan may be the better back, but you have to take that into consideration.
  5. Captain Cliche

Captain Cliche Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I think he is mis-used. Obviously BB & CO know more than me, but he never impressed me as an every down "pound it up the middle" type of runner. On the other hand, out in space and when he gets around the end he is like lightning in a bottle.

How are his hands?

Is he a potential replacement for Faulk down the road.?
  6. NYCPatsFan

NYCPatsFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

That's exactly what I thought until I saw Maroney come back in the last drive (caught me by surprise as I thought he was out) and got stuffed for a loss right after Jordan (or Morris?) had a 4/5 yd gain in the previous play.

Casual fans like me who do not know much about football can't help but finally conclude that Maroney lacks the strength to thrust and tear thru the defense. (I was one of the fans who didn't rush to judge Maroney last year and wanted to wait before deciding.)

This Jets game was a pretty clean comparison between the other RBs who were able to gain yards irrespective whether it was the first or second or third down vs. Maroney, who struggled irrespective of which down it was.

Would love to hear others' perspective.
  7. PATRIOT64

PATRIOT64 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I hate to break this to you but a lot of RBs in the league get hit hard behind the line but the guys that are above average bounce off or somehow find a way to get away and create positive yards instead of negative yards

I do not know if Maroney has ever been able to take a hard hit behind the LOS without looking like he was bodyslammed when falling

Maroney will never be an elite back nor will he be a horrible one when all is said and done- An average back is what you got with LoMo and probably always will

If BB was so high on Maroney to carry this team this year on the ground he would have not had 5 RBs on the team - He has 5 RBs and signed Jordan for not only depth because Morris has been injured recently but to provide Maroney with some other help because he is not nor will ever be a 25 -30 touch guy on a regular basis - LoMo needs to be on a team with 4 or 5 RBs to keep fresh and not wear down easily and this year he got it

Maroney will never be an Adrian Peterson or even close,he just needs to be average for the team to succeed,Not great and that is what he is..an average back,nothing special & nothing horrible
  8. D-cleater

D-cleater Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Maroney has his moments but I agree that he is overrated. The frustrating thing about watching him is that he has the speed to hit the hole and get to the second level, or bounce it to the outside if there's nothing inside, but just doesn't do it consistently. Maroney needs a lot of room to be effective. He'll make people miss, maybe even use the stiff arm if he has position on the defender, but he won't break many tackles. He's not decisive as a runner. He seems to have the physical attributes but zero instincts. Kinda like another skill position player the Pats drafted that day.

Not only that, but he runs very high, and that style of running + indecisiveness = injuries .

Maroney's got talent and he'll contribute this season and a few more, but I don't see him as a long term solution that BB/Pioli were hoping for when they drafted him in the first round.
  9. letekro

letekro Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

This is a fair and balanced analysis. I would add only that he takes an inordinate number of hits 2-3 yards in the backfield, frequently the result of run blitzes by lb's and corners. Not sure why this happens so much to him. Perhaps there is more of a run tendency when he is in the backfield.
  10. BillBelichickFan79

BillBelichickFan79 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

he has the physical tools i just dont think he runs the ball assertive enogh. he's got the speed and the power to just run by or over people but it looks like he plays scared out there. he seems to hesitate in the backfield instead of attacking the line and forcing the issue. it's almost like he is waiting for a huge hole to open up so he can avoid as much contact as possible. i mean the guy is only like 23 years old so there is still plenty of time so i'm not giving up on him yet, but i'd like to see him be more assertive when he runs the ball.
  11. neuronet

neuronet Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#87 Jersey
    Well put. Jordan felt right to me. Maybe it was because the D-Line was tired. We'll see, and it will be fun to watch!
  12. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +71 / 3 / -1

My Jersey:

Maroney was running early in the game, when Jenkins was fresh and the Jets defensive line was stout as a result.

Jordan was chewing up yards against that line after Jenkins was tired.
  13. BradyFTW!

BradyFTW! PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#12 Jersey

At this point, I just don't get it. On one hand, it's not his fault if he gets hit 2 yards behind the line of scrimmage. On the other hand, that only seems to happen to him with any level of frequency. I'm just confused. Of course, Kris Jenkins being a fat slob could have something to do with it. Maroney wears him down, the rest get the benefits.
  14. Captain Cliche

Captain Cliche Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Didn't he run behind lead blockers in college (behind a full back)?
  15. PATRIOT64

PATRIOT64 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

SOme guys just like Lomo than others for some reason so the excuses of bad line play will always come up

I doubt that Elite RBs like Tomlinson and Peterson have made positive yardage only when their line plays well - no,They make plays to avoid negative yardage much of the time thats why they are better than just your average guy
    - They don't fall down like a ton of bricks on an initial hard hit everytime either but you won't convince some guys in here that Maroney is not better than the guy drafted ahead of him that year like Addai for instance

Maroney is average - was average and will likeLy be an average career RB no matter who the OL are in front of him
  16. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +32 / 2 / -0

My Jersey:

I thought the playcalling was very predictable at the beginning of the game. You could see them running a mile away. I don't know that Maroney is necessarily better than Jordan or vice versa, but I don't think that people who are saying Maroney is definitely the guy have seen anything to definitively say that or have any reason to rule Jordan out.
  17. blackglass3

blackglass3 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

It's funny, last year at the beginning for the year he was running timid and dancing around like. Then, towards the end of the year he was just running at people like an animal and he looked great. Now, he's back to running scared.

Maybe he needs some more diapers in his locker? (half kidding)
  18. Basileus777

Basileus777 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Maroney just has poor vision, dances around too much, and doesn't have the strength to break tackles or the ability to make defenders miss. He can't run effectively when the oline opens holes for him, but he isn't a player who can create yards by himself.
  19. emoney_33

emoney_33 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Smoke some more
  20. sebman2112

sebman2112 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Jordan did have a good day running (mostly in the second half), but go look up the stats for both Maroney and Sammy Morris today...

Also, I've got to say that I'm absolutely sick of people talking about him "dancing", and now your suggesting he might be timid. Last time I checked he injured two buffalo Bills in a single game, gained over 100 yards rushing the ball in a number of games over the second half of the 2007 season, and basically carried NE's offense during a few of their wins last season. He's not an all-pro, but he's got potential, and usually records a good average when given the ball consistently. Just last week he was running quite well (5.1 ypc), but NE's trying to keep their backs fresh, so he's not going to get a great deal of carries. If NE makes the playoffs you'll see him get a lot more carries, as he is their best RB, and the Patriots will not be so worried about keeping their backs fresh.
  21. PatsFan24

PatsFan24 Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

we did all this same talk a year ago and everyone who spoke out against him was proven wrong come playoff time
  22. Patslifer

Patslifer Banned

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Not really.... Maroney needs to be a consistant runner to prove everyone wrong. Great he had a good run in the playoffs, we need him all year.
  23. PATRIOT64

PATRIOT64 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

He did well in the early part of the playoffs but in the biggest game was invisible when needed so lets stop the 'he was good in the playoffs' thing - in the biggest game of the year he sucked when he could have been a difference maker since Brady was getting squashed by the front 7

14 rushes for 36 yards and a 2.6 average yardage per run in the Super Bowl does not help your team - Of course we will get the OL line did not help him reasoning and is expected by those that like him more than others
  24. sebman2112

sebman2112 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I tried to explain this to some casual fans last year, but NE has a tendency to run the ball when Maroney's on the field, especially during the first half of the season. I'm sure opposing defenses have noticed this which is why you'll notice more run blitzes when he's in the game. The good thing is that it sets up play action passing, and as the season goes alone NE will use the tendencies they've shown on offense to set up the defenses they face. For example, later this season (and if they make the playoffs) you'll notice Maroney being used on screens, and in the game more often when NE passes the ball. This is what they did down the stretch in 2007, and it worked out pretty well.
  25. Patdown93

Patdown93 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Morris had 8 att for 0 yards. The Jets just defended the run very well most of the game. For the majority of three quarters Morris and Maroney were running for 2 or 3 yards a pop. There were only 2 runs of 5 yards or more before Jordan showed up.
  26. BPF

BPF Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I like the kid but part of getting creamed in the backfield in his problem as well. I'm tired of everyone blaming the O-line, Jordan looked good working behing that O-line regradless of when in the game it was or if the Jets D was worn out and some will suggest. Jordan and the O-line closed out the game and did a nice job.
  27. BPF

BPF Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I have to agree with this, it is a tendency, and you make good points for what the Pats can do to throw off teams in the 2nd half based on their own this tendency as well.
  28. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +71 / 3 / -1

My Jersey:

Jordan didn't make his first run until there was only 4:49 left in the 3rd quarter, according to the CBSSports.com play-by-play. By that time, Jenkins was already gassed. Early on in the game, both Maroney and Morris dealt with that fresh R-A-T-S D-Line. Not surprisingly, their numbers don't look as impressive as Jordan's.

This is yet another case of the same group of people finding something to piss and moan about every time less than 100% perfection is achieved.
  29. Schmo

Schmo Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I thought I remember an article last offseason talking about Maroney working on his lean. From what I've seen this year, it looks like he gave up on it. Anybody seen differently?
  30. Patslifer

Patslifer Banned

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Or having a discussion. If you are to much of a homer, then stay out of the thread. People have the right to talk about whatever they want, good or bad.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.