PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What's the point of...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TOzgood

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
A message board if there are certain things posters are allowed to write about? Seriously? I have read over a hundred threads this entire weekend, raging from intelligent to the absurd...but who are we to say what a "good" post is and what a "horrible" one is? I see tons of posts saying "well this is a stupid topic, people are alarmists, etc"...I see ones that say "if only more topics were like this one"...But what's the point? People come here to vent, form opinions, etc. Although I agree that there is a fine line between intelligent discussion and absurd...what the hell is the point of everyone bickering or every time there is a thread that YOU do not like you always have to chime in and say "boring", "ridiculous", "your insane", "you are clearly not a true fan", etc...

This board is cluttered with mess, half of it people bickering back and forth between what is a suitable post and what isn't. I was under the impression we had a couple of moderators...not that everyone here felt it necessary to be a moderator. I think we all need to get off our high horses and breath. What' s the point of sabotaging someone's thread just because you think it is stupid? What may seem stupid to you might bring up some valid points to someone else. Some actual good discussion may occur if people are more opened minded rather than sticking it to people who they disagree with...Just because someone starts a "Say Randy Moss doesn't come back" thread, doesn't mean you need to jump into the conversation and say "oh the sky is falling, what a dumb comment"...seriously...whats the point of having a chat forum then...I just don't get it....dumb fighting over dumb things...which in turn could lead to good discussion if everyone just relaxes...

I don't know, just my two cents...but I guess you can file this thread under "unnecessary and pointless"....

Particularly homers who defend every Pat to the bitter end.

The fact is, and I will say it:

-Belichick coached the worst game of his career and deserves a lot of sh*t over that pathetic Super Bowl performance

-Brady wasn't giving 100% the last few games and deserves sh*t for that

-Randy Moss just wants to GET PAID, he's an arrogant bastard, face it

So is this a "bad post" that means "I'm not a true fan"... well so be it, I'm pissed.

I think its good to get a fair share of both positive and negative views of the Patriots, but it just seems that if anything negative ever comes out...even a "Say if Moss doesnt come back" thread...it get hijacked....I just dont see the point...

Your either a Homer, or a fan with gloom and doom.. That is what some of us our labled.. No matter what Im labeld Im a Pats fan, but if I dont like something , Im going to voice my opinion..

-Belichick coached the worst game of his career and deserves a lot of sh*t over that pathetic Super Bowl performance

So is this a "bad post" that means "I'm not a true fan"... well so be it, I'm pissed.

Ah yes the ever popular..."criticize, but offer nothing constructive" post.

Just tell me one thing. What coach do you want instead? Which QB?

You can be critical, but realize that your criticism, in the grad scheme of things, doesn't matter. To anyone. And it certainly isn't going to change things, or change the way BB and the patriots run their organization. So really, the whole thing is a wasted effort on your behalf.

The greatest team of all-time got beat by a mediocre Giants team. Riddle me that.

Belichick and Brady are the best in the league, but they f'ed up royally that game, period, and it cost us a Super Bowl.

I agree...Look, I can't stand crazy pessimists...But I also cannot stand people who won't stop drinking the kool-aid without coming up for air...There are some strengths to this team, but also some clear weaknesses. Why can't these things be brought up or talked about? You should be able to talk about these things without being called a fair weather fan...Or my personal favorite "when you get more than x amounts of posts, come talking to me then"...as if how many posts you had show how much intelligence you have when it comes to the patriots...

I think its good to get a fair share of both positive and negative views of the Patriots, but it just seems that if anything negative ever comes out...even a "Say if Moss doesnt come back" thread...it get hijacked....I just dont see the point...

Read the previous poster's post.

He claims Brady wasn't trying his hardest this postseason.

What do you expect from us? Not to call a guy like that out??! I mean, if someone is going to post what someone else considers idiocy, why NOT point that out?

The greatest team of all-time got beat by a mediocre Giants team. Riddle me that.

Belichick and Brady are the best in the league, but they f'ed up royally that game, period, and it cost us a Super Bowl.

They weren't trying hard enough.

Apparently.

I love it how when during the season Moss was performing like a beast, everyone was saying ONLY good things. Belichick did coach the worst game of his career, but too bad he coached 18 straight perfect games and couldn't top it off. I can't argue with the Brady thing though, that spark just wasn't there.

I agree...Look, I can't stand crazy pessimists...But I also cannot stand people who won't stop drinking the kool-aid without coming up for air...There are some strengths to this team, but also some clear weaknesses. Why can't these things be brought up or talked about? You should be able to talk about these things without being called a fair weather fan...Or my personal favorite "when you get more than x amounts of posts, come talking to me then"...as if how many posts you had show how much intelligence you have when it comes to the patriots...

Amen...the pom pom crowd descends like locusts if you dare to question anything the organization does. You're immediately labeled as an alarmist or dismissed for not being a true fan.

I'm neither a homer nor an 'alarmist'. I think looking at a team from either extreme lessens one's enjoyment for the game. However, let's be honest here. The 'alarmists' have been bleating nonsense all season. This thread is a perfect example. Belichick didn't coach his worst game ever. The offensive line didn't show up. Nonetheless, even with the pathetic play by the '5 layers', the team still had the game won until the Giants caught a huge break with a 'helmet catch'. Yet, somehow, the loss is supposed the fault of Brady and BB?

If people are going to whine, they should at least bring something to the table. Instead, the same people cry every game, and are crying now during free agency.

[Note: I use the word "you" here to refer to people in general. It is not directed at any specific poster in this thread.]

There's a rather large continuum of "fandom": at one end is the absolute unrepentant homer that refuses to see anything wrong; on the other end is the absolute unrepentant anti-homer, who refuses to see anything positive; and in the middle is the realist.

All of us are somewhere on the scale, and usually occupy ranges. For example, I make no bones that I'm closer to the pure homer than the pure anti-homer. I have no problem accepting realistic and even relatively anti-homeristic viewpoints, but when I see "pure anti-homer comments"--such as one on another thread where a poster basically argued, with no evidence, that Dave Thomas would probably stay injured and end up off the team this fall--that's when I tend to get pissed.** (Might it happen? Sure. But is it probable? No.) And note that I tend to get pissed at the comments, not the commenter, until the commenter proves that s/he is intentionally being a jerk.

Needless to say, I would also classify Tomase, MacMullan, Felger, Borges, and various other members of the Boston sports media as being among the anti-homers (there's no law saying you have to be a fan, but there's no reason that you need to go out of your way to cr*p on the team, either).

I guess all I'm trying to say is this: everyone has a range of viewpoints that they consider acceptable, and some that they consider 'lunatic fringe.' Just remember that people will feel the same way about you and me: odds are, someone on this board thinks you're loco, at least part of the time. :)

**But, seriously, IMO, if you think that last season was an absolute disaster, I think you broke into Ricky Williams' special stash. (Yeah, the ending sucked, but it was a bloody awesome ride until then, and one--except for Spygate--I wouldn't mind repeating.)

Last edited:

-Belichick coached the worst game of his career and deserves a lot of sh*t over that pathetic Super Bowl performance.

There's a bit more to the story, like the toll the 18 wins took, and the fact that the Giants came up big every game from Christmas on. The immoveable obstacle and unstoppable force theory, if you will.

-Brady wasn't giving 100% the last few games and deserves sh*t for that.

See "the toll" above, and I'm not just talking the ankle. There have been whispers of a sports hernia. I make no excuses, but if you want to say the Pats blew the game, I point to the accumulations of nicks...as well as the Giants' Big Mo.

-Randy Moss just wants to GET PAID, he's an arrogant bastard, face it.

You have to be arrogant to be successful in the #1 WR role in the NFL. Find me one who isn't. None of us know what's going on as far as a new contract goes, so don't sit there w/ your **** in your hand pretending like you do. I hope Moss comes back; if he doesn't, is his loss, and the Pats move on. Adapt and overcome; pretty simple, really.

I can't comment on your "fan quotient," but I'm a little pissed, too; can you tell?

I'm neither a homer nor an 'alarmist'. I think looking at a team from either extreme lessens one's enjoyment for the game.
I agree!
Funny screen name you have for showing such a balanced thought process though...;)

any given sunday any team can be beat thats what makes foot ball so great when we beat the rams in are frist SB the rams where alot better then us we was not the best team just the hot team

Last edited:
A message board if there are certain things posters are allowed to write about? Seriously? I have read over a hundred threads this entire weekend, raging from intelligent to the absurd...but who are we to say what a "good" post is and what a "horrible" one is? I see tons of posts saying "well this is a stupid topic, people are alarmists, etc"...I see ones that say "if only more topics were like this one"...But what's the point? People come here to vent, form opinions, etc. Although I agree that there is a fine line between intelligent discussion and absurd...what the hell is the point of everyone bickering or every time there is a thread that YOU do not like you always have to chime in and say "boring", "ridiculous", "your insane", "you are clearly not a true fan", etc...

This board is cluttered with mess, half of it people bickering back and forth between what is a suitable post and what isn't. I was under the impression we had a couple of moderators...not that everyone here felt it necessary to be a moderator. I think we all need to get off our high horses and breath. What' s the point of sabotaging someone's thread just because you think it is stupid? What may seem stupid to you might bring up some valid points to someone else. Some actual good discussion may occur if people are more opened minded rather than sticking it to people who they disagree with...Just because someone starts a "Say Randy Moss doesn't come back" thread, doesn't mean you need to jump into the conversation and say "oh the sky is falling, what a dumb comment"...seriously...whats the point of having a chat forum then...I just don't get it....dumb fighting over dumb things...which in turn could lead to good discussion if everyone just relaxes...

I don't know, just my two cents...but I guess you can file this thread under "unnecessary and pointless"....

do you visit other chat rooms at all?? with the possible exception of 'sex chat rooms', their all the same. people chat. dispute opinions, etc. deal with it, and next time just roll your eyes at a comment. don't feel the need to put up a thread to defend the poor posters that are being called homers. their grown men, they can defend themselves.

now at the sound of the bell, everyone come out swinging:D

Saying things like this don't make you a bad fan. They make you a sado-masochist. And not in the hot way, either. Hey maybe if you keep harping on it you and everyone around you will feel alot better. Nothing like beating a dead horse rather than moving on with something constructive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes