PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What's the plan to rebuild the defense?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm of the camp that a team needs potential starters established before the draft. IMO, the Patriots are in trouble if they don't have a 5 LB rotation and a 3 CB rotation set heading into the draft. Here' what we're looking at right now.

LB - Vrabel, Thomas, Bruschi, Woods. I anticipate that Seau will be back, but like last offseason, he will wait until summer to report to the team. He has earned his vacation. My big question, what does Belickick think of Pierre Woods? If Belichick thinks Woods is ready to step in and contribute, we won't see a major FA addition.

What this linebacker corps is missing is a speed rusher (Colvin's replacement) and a 2 down run stuffer (Ted Johnson's elusive replacement). Both could be had throught the draft. A combination of either Gholston/Groves/Avril and Jonathan Goff will have the team sitting pretty for the 2008 season, but they will still lack a long-term Bruschi replacement. The team should strongly consider moving a couple of this year's mid round picks to make a move on Maualuga or Laurenitis next year.

CB - Hobbs/Richardson?
Not much here. I did like what I saw of Richardson during preseason. The offseason will be telling of Belichick's evaluation of him. I think he could step in as a solid dime back.

I'm on the Law bandwagon. I think we can get 2 years out of him as an Otis Smith type presence. That leaves the draft to get younger, and at least one of these younger guys needsto be able to step in day 1 and be at least a nickel. I don't forsee a CB taken with pick 7, none of the top guys represent value at that spot. My favorite corner in this year's draft is Antoine Cason, who will MAYBE be around at #62. I'd also be happy with Talib. Terrell Thomas of USC could also contribute as a rookie and could be had at the end of round 3.

I agree with Stinkypete about having starters in place before the draft. I'd even like one more body at ILB, say a flier on Dan Morgan in addition to Seau and Bruschi. This would give them a three man rotation that they could rely on with two of them having extensive experience in the system and the other a veteran. Then I'd like to see Goff or another good ILB drafted within the first three rounds that could come in and apprentice for a year and serve as depth to the three man rotation. He wouldn't be expected to play meaningful snaps unless there is a rotation or he plays in nickel packages, etc. I think both Seau and Bruschi are capable of providing good snaps as long as they are not playing every down (just as we saw in the beginning of the year). Seau and Morgan should be available on the cheap.

At OLB I think it will be easier for a draft pick to see snaps as a pass rusher. We aren't talking about Jeremy Mincey here, Gholston and Groves are special talents which helps tremendously in the transition from DE to OLB (where Groves even has some experience). This would provide possibly a four man group of Adalius, Vrabel, Woods and draft pick, with Woods a teams demon and Goff playing special teams as well. I think a capable group of seven to eight LBs, with two having the versatility to play inside and out, would keep everyone fresh and able to compete at a high level, as well as infusing some youth.

I love the idea of trading for Lito Sheppard, which I think would help convert the secondary back into the fierce, physical presence it was before we went to predominantly zone coverages. With Sheppard in place the DB goals in the draft can be to acquire backups to man the nickel and be emergency starters (Hobbs, Samuel, Geno).

If Belichick considers Richardson, Alexander, Woods, and Andrews possibilities to see consistent snaps on defense it would alleviate some of the need and be a huge plus but I think at most we'll see two of them, if that.

SixMillionDollarMan1.jpg

Better, faster, stronger, and now cheaper.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye