Welcome to PatsFans.com

What's the Income Floor that Rangel Should Raise Taxes On ?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by BelichickFan, Oct 25, 2007.

?

Who Should Have their Taxes Raised

1. Over 50K

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Over 100K

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. Over 250K

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  4. Over 500K

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  5. Over $1M

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  1. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +781 / 18 / -23

#24 Jersey

http://www.nasdaq.com/aspxcontent/N...CQDJON200710242253DOWJONESDJONLINE001107.htm&

He's proposing a 4% increase for those over $200K (married), $150K (single).

What should it be ? For my poll, I will put a number for Married, it would be half for Single. It should be doubled for Married as they are far more likely to have high daycare costs if there's two working people, as there usually are.

Remember - this is Federal so it goes for everyone. $200K is a lot where I live. It's a lot less in NY, Boston or Chicago. It won't hit me at this rate, my household income is below the threshold but I'm curious.

edit - there's no "no-one" option. Rangel's raising taxes, that's not an option.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2007
  2. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +781 / 18 / -23

#24 Jersey

I voted for $1M. $200K is nuts. That would be great money for me, living in a sh!thole town like I do. But for a family with kids and daycare, increasing taxes by 4% for money over $200K is terrible in real cities.

3. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +916 / 7 / -3

Where's the "no one" option? This country taxes enough.

4. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +781 / 18 / -23

#24 Jersey

Rangel running H W&M - Dems with both Houses and soon the Presidency - why do you think I left "no one" off the list of options ? :rolleyes:

:bricks:

5. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

agreed.... it's not about how much tax, it's more about how the tax revenue is spent...

still, if we're gonna waste $2.4 trillion on foreign occupations, i'm more than content making the elite pay for most of it... they wanted it... and they're not fighting it... they should do SOMETHING...

Last edited: Oct 25, 2007
  6. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +597 / 24 / -19

I chose $250k, but considered $500k because in some urban areas even $500k may not be a fortune (though it's damn good). I'm assuming $250k for a family of 4, and I do think that any tax increase should be graduated, with people earning over $1 million obviously paying more than those earning $250k.

7. PatsFanInMaine

PatsFanInMaine Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I voted for $1 million. This bill isnt going anywhere thought and it shouldnt. Raising taxes is not the issue, controlling spending is.

8. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Damn!
    Beat me to it.

9. fleabassist1

fleabassist1 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I was wondering the same thing :D

10. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Americans have become accustomed to more taxes so much that they don't consider the option of no more increases...just how much and who will get the increase. Just like we 've become mindfu-ked into being afraid all the time and that computers, the government anad television are our friends, Americans will buy into everything as long as they perceive that it's the "in" thing. Soon, the "in" thing becomes integrated into the culture.

11. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,152 / 5 / -10

Why does the grinning bastard want taxes raised in the first place, you already work the first two or three months of the year for the government

Imagime all the birth control pills and condoms they can buy with scumbag Rangles Tax Hike

Democrats come right out an tell you they are going to steal some more money from you and your family then the dip sh!t democrat loons crawl on their hands and knees to the polls and vote the bastards back in

Cut Taxes
    Give The Country Back To The People
    The Hell With The Pills Sterilize The 11 Year Old Whores.

12. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +781 / 18 / -23

#24 Jersey

I'm the last person who wants taxes to be raised. But when Billary is in charge and has Democrat led Houses, we know what's going to happen. There is NO WAY taxes aren't going up on the "rich"; however you choose to define that.

13. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

On a general level I figure the nation's spent a large fortune over the last 7 years and we should all pay. Sure not everyone agreed with the actions that put us here; but the American system was followed and that means we're now all in the same boat. The only incorrigible thing is the idea that the money spent doesn't need to be paid back by those who spent it. Call me old-fashioned; but I figure those that make the mess should be the ones who clean it up.

14. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

yay, let's make up stuff again!!

closer to reality: Mrs. Clinton will likely not raise taxes and instead reconfigure federal spending away from the endless occupation of foreign nations... i mean, i know that will make you equally as angry, but at least it's accurate...

15. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +829 / 27 / -33

Think we have enough taxes, particularly as the federal reductions have lead to state and local increases, my vote is to do away with the whole system, control spending on a national level and look at alternatives such as a national sales tax, or the Steve Forbes thing.. anything is better than what we do now.. all we are doing is perpetuating an archaic bureaucracy.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2007
  16. Patters

Ratings:
    +597 / 24 / -19

Rangel's tax plan is actually quite responsible:

http://money.cnn.com/2007/10/25/pf/taxes/rangel_tax_reform/index.htm?postversion=2007102515

My main issue with it is why not start the surtax at a higher level than $200k and have a graduated surtax so that those with $1 million in income pay a higher rate than those wikth a $500k income? Also, let's keep the death tax in some form. (I'm not sure what his plans are for that.)

I don't see how flat taxes and other tax systems do away with the IRS. You still have to have an agency making sure taxes are paid. Even with with a national sales tax, a new IRS would affect everyone who sells taxable services or goods.

As far as cutting government, it's a nice idea, but we need specifics. Even ending he Iraq war would probably only help us balance the budget, not cut taxes.

17. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +829 / 27 / -33

They might not do away with it, but the agency could certainly be downsized to something more manageable.. that in itself would decrease the cost of federal gov't.

Cutting the Gov't spending would take some very innovative ideas, here is one why do we have three main branches of the military all doing similar R & D, and all justifying what they do. Wouldn't it make sense to coordinate some of this stuff, for example are the needs of the Marines and Army all that different, many would say they are, but in reality they are very close. Hear this all of the time that the needs of the air force are different from the Navy, make the providers be adaptable get the same system, but make it work for each branch.. The Dept. of Homeland is one of the biggest money wasters, look at ways to downsize and make them more efficient, more time is spent on doing the politically correct thing and not ruffling feathers.. the status quo is not working, time to think outside of the box.. I have alot of ideas who they and the state could downsize, gov't has gotten to big and too paternal, all the while non-profits who provide many of the services are suffering.

18. Patters

Ratings:
    +597 / 24 / -19

When I lived in Denmark, my tax form arrived already completed. All I had to do was sign it. I think if we simplify the tax code, the IRS could be far more manageable. When I lived in Norway, my income tax was cut in half in December (the idea being that is was gift-giving season) and there was no tax in June (since most Norwegians took vacation in July). I think those steps went a long way towards humanizing the tax code.

I don't know enough about the reasons for the different branches of the military to have an opinion on this, but commonsense would suggest that it could be downsized. In fact, when I worked for a major consulting company years ago my boss was Republican and an exMarine who believed strongly that the military was retaining to much high-level technical talent that was creating problems for private enterprise.

I also think that, though we don't like to admit it, federal jobs and aid (or pork barrel spending) play a role in managing the economy and developing different areas of the country. Perhaps more of this could be outsourced to private companies, which I have nothing against provided it's adequately regulated, but that wouldn't necessarily decrease our tax bill. In fact, it might increase it. While private enterprise is more efficient, it doesn't always cost less, I think.

19. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,152 / 5 / -10

When Granola eating whacko's hole themselves up in a cabin out in the woods somewhere and refuse to pay taxes and the government surrounds their shack with armed storm troopers, FBI and News Media the looney liberal democrats are cheering the tax evaders on and yelling all their "freedom sh!t" then when a looney liberal democrat raises the taxes even higher the rest of the looney liberal democrats kiss his ring and say what a wonderful thing it is that he is doing, these are the same f-cking a$s holes that were cheering for the tax evaders who claim to have a constitutional right to be "Free Loaders".

The liberal democrat loons gush and fawn over the democrat politician that raises taxes

The liberal democrat loons then stand up, cheer, whistle and applaud when some some smelly coke sniffing weirdos refuse to pay those taxes that a scumbag like Rangle just raised :confused:

They want higher taxes then support people that won't pay them :singing:

20. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +583 / 50 / -8

#75 Jersey

So the Democrats want to take 44% of the income of the upper middle class. Once again, Rangel rages another stupid class warfare debate. How much is enough for these people? Once again, the governemtn trying to tell you WHAT YOU SHOULD DO, HOW YOU SHOULD LIVE!!!!!

Either switch to a flat tax rate for EVERYONE (what could be more fair than everyone in America paying the same rate?), or a national sales tax.

Eliminate the government welfare of the earned income credit, and all those stupid earmark tax credits (hybrid cars, and such).

Funny how his tax raise doesn't reach to the income of say, A CONGRESSMAN. If Rangel wants to be fair, shouldn't the highest tax rate start at Rangels's pay ($165,200) instead of $200,000.

What a great idea for the Democrat platform for the upcoming election, we want to implement the LARGEST TAX INCREASE, EVER, grant anmesty for 30 million illegal aliens, lose the war on terror, and put the most disingenious woman every concieved as President!