PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What's the End Game: Attack or Contain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

QB12

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Let's step back from the trees and look at the forest.

Is the end game for the '09 Pats defense to be an attacking defense or a bend but don't break, containment defense?

I think we're going to be an attacking defense, with Wilfork, Merriweather and Mayo the keys. What about you?

BTW - Wilfork & Warren (on the D-line) will make the Pro Bowl this year; Seymour will not.

QB12

Last edited:

Is the end game for the '09 Pats defense to be an attacking defense or a bend but don't break, containment defense?

I think we're going to be an attacking defense, with Wilfork, Merriweather and Mayo the keys. What about you?

BTW - Wilfork & Warren (on the D-line) will make the Pro Bowl this year; Seymour will not.

QB12

Never count Sey out in a contract year. When he is truly motivated, he's the best D Linemen I've ever seen. All three could be pro-bowlers.

Last edited:
The attack is what makes the DB's look better. We also need to take account for Meri's blitzing skills. His timing has been impressive.

It's hard to think it won't stay in a stop the run philosophy, but if we get ahead in games early (which should happen sometimes at least), I think this current D in "sick 'em" mode will be horrifying to opposing QB's.

QB12

I agree...... Attacking. With two wide-bodies pushing the middle and speed on the edge, I would think we are going to see more pressure. Lets not forget, while Jarvis was Sey's primary back-up he's lighter, faster and more aggressive. Yeah, Sey is a loss and all, but not as much if you think about BB changing to this scheme. I have to say that considering the rumor that both Wilfork and Sey were discussed, it's pretty much a lock that we're changing the focus of the front.

Never count Sey out in a contract year. When he is truly motivated, he's the best D Linemen I've ever seen. All three could be pro-bowlers.

Are you kidding. Not taking anything from Sey's talent, but have you seen the rest of Oakland's front? Jesus, Sey may be seeing quadruple-teams this year. :eek:

Whether we attack or contain will depend on the opponent and game situation, there is no 1 answer with BB....flexiblity to adapt are the keys to situational football.

I'd personally love to see an attacking, disruptive defense for a change. Much more exciting to watch.

QB12

Much more attacking than last year, when we were a soft zone defense with no pass rash. We the better athleticism in the secondary allowing us to gamble, and better overall speed. There will be times that we will play in containment mode, but I think the overall approach will be more of an attacking defense.

but not while he's whining for a new contract.......he changed during this last deal

The defense has always been designed to contain, while forcing turnovers, and that won't change.

BB's idea of an attack defense is getting the ball back. Not sacking somebody.

If the talented youngsters in our secondary get their hands on some balls, we will start to look like an attack defense but the system remains the same.

Will they blitz more if they can actually get to the QB? Sure. But the goal is to force turnovers.

Same as it always has been.

The defense has always been designed to contain, while forcing turnovers, and that won't change.

Same as it always has been.

If the last seven days have shown us anything, its that many, many things are changing. Besides, to paraphrase Einstein, insanity is doing the same things you've done before while expecting different results. ;)

QB12

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back