Welcome to PatsFans.com

What's the End Game: Attack or Contain?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by QB12, Sep 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QB12

QB12 Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 1 / -5

#12 Jersey

Let's step back from the trees and look at the forest.

Is the end game for the '09 Pats defense to be an attacking defense or a bend but don't break, containment defense?

I think we're going to be an attacking defense, with Wilfork, Merriweather and Mayo the keys. What about you?

BTW - Wilfork & Warren (on the D-line) will make the Pro Bowl this year; Seymour will not.

QB12
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
  2. NEGoldenAge

NEGoldenAge Banned

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Never count Sey out in a contract year. When he is truly motivated, he's the best D Linemen I've ever seen. All three could be pro-bowlers.
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
  3. JSn

JSn Rookie

Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0

The attack is what makes the DB's look better. We also need to take account for Meri's blitzing skills. His timing has been impressive.

It's hard to think it won't stay in a stop the run philosophy, but if we get ahead in games early (which should happen sometimes at least), I think this current D in "sick 'em" mode will be horrifying to opposing QB's.
  4. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

I agree...... Attacking. With two wide-bodies pushing the middle and speed on the edge, I would think we are going to see more pressure. Lets not forget, while Jarvis was Sey's primary back-up he's lighter, faster and more aggressive. Yeah, Sey is a loss and all, but not as much if you think about BB changing to this scheme. I have to say that considering the rumor that both Wilfork and Sey were discussed, it's pretty much a lock that we're changing the focus of the front.

Are you kidding. Not taking anything from Sey's talent, but have you seen the rest of Oakland's front? Jesus, Sey may be seeing quadruple-teams this year. :eek:
  5. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +161 / 7 / -13

Whether we attack or contain will depend on the opponent and game situation, there is no 1 answer with BB....flexiblity to adapt are the keys to situational football.
  6. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +768 / 5 / -14

#61 Jersey

I'd personally love to see an attacking, disruptive defense for a change. Much more exciting to watch.
  7. mayoclinic

mayoclinic PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +559 / 0 / -2

Much more attacking than last year, when we were a soft zone defense with no pass rash. We the better athleticism in the secondary allowing us to gamble, and better overall speed. There will be times that we will play in containment mode, but I think the overall approach will be more of an attacking defense.
  8. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

but not while he's whining for a new contract.......he changed during this last deal
  9. 5 Rings for Brady!!

5 Rings for Brady!! Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The defense has always been designed to contain, while forcing turnovers, and that won't change.

BB's idea of an attack defense is getting the ball back. Not sacking somebody.

If the talented youngsters in our secondary get their hands on some balls, we will start to look like an attack defense but the system remains the same.

Will they blitz more if they can actually get to the QB? Sure. But the goal is to force turnovers.

Same as it always has been.
  10. QB12

QB12 Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 1 / -5

#12 Jersey

If the last seven days have shown us anything, its that many, many things are changing. Besides, to paraphrase Einstein, insanity is doing the same things you've done before while expecting different results. ;)

QB12
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.