PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What's the deal with the Philly game postponement? (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My guess is the postponement to Tuesday is not just because of ESPN's Monday exclusive rights but also to allow the stadium time to be prepared for the game.

And to give Favre two extra days to waffle on his decision to play or not. :p

Game should have been played but they probably don't want a game in the elements to shatter the illusion of Vick deserving to be VIP.

As of 11 pm EST Sunday night, the Winter Storm Warning and Winter Weather Advisory had been extended through 7 pm EST Monday.

Fair enough, they did the right thing.

It just happened to coincide with making ESPN happy :D

At least they didn't call in the Army to help clean up snow like Toronto did...so fricken embarrassing...

Re: Philly-Viking game postponed......

I am waiting for the unamimous criticism of the Patriots and disdain for their "****ification" to start.... right?

They're going to Canada again? Check those suitcases guys.

OK, I get it for yesterday. But the snow has stopped in Philly as of this morning, buses are running, the airport is open, most businesses are open, and the snow is being cleaned up. Why not tonight? Who cares if the fans can't get there in the same numbers they could have? That has NEVER been a factor in these decisions before.

I'm in central Jersey the past 6 years -- grew up and lived in RI for 35 years. This storm was a good one. And snow removal SUX down here even after regular snow, let alone this kind of storm.

The game wasn't postponed because of the players. They could've played. But the roads are a disaster. Would've been a snow roach motel; the roads would've been worse getting out than in. Any minor fender bender would've brought traffic to a complete standstill, all the while, more snow dumping down. It would've been UGLY.

The NFL is in the entertainment business. Playing the game is a means to an end, and not the end itself. They're trying to look out for its customers -- and I doubt many could've made it; those that didn't would be looking for refunds, etc. Why not just delay the game until the people that paid for it can actually come and see it.

The Chicago game in snow? That didn't look as bad as what happened down here.

This game should have been played as scheduled. The NFL has set a very BAD precedent. They are on a slippery slope where the bright red line for EMERGENCIES and just a regular blizzard has been badly blurred.

The Pats played in Chicago a couple of weeks ago in 40 miles/hour wind and blowing snow.

To his credit, Governor Ed Randell of Pennsylvania was in favor of playing the game. He is reported to have said that Lombardi would be turning in his grave.

Goodell and his minions panicked. The same bureaucrats who want to have a SuperBowl at Giants Stadium panicked.

You are 100% right. If the head politician (being the politically correct weasel all politicians are) of the State in which "fans would die" can act like he has a set, I'm pretty sure the rest of us can. Not sure where all this "fans dying" and "storm of the century" stuff is coming from, but the totals in Philadelphia don't support these contentions:

http://forecast.weather.gov/product...HI&product=PNS&format=CI&version=1&glossary=0

Last edited:
Re: Philly-Viking game postponed......

Have them call Nick Tahou's for a "garbage plate" or Sal's Birdland for wings........unforgettable.....

They hit Dinosaur BBQ. Good call.

Tahou's garbageplate...

...they just got over stomach flu.

Glad they went to D-BBQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill