Welcome to PatsFans.com

What's the deal with Brazil?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by mcgraw_wv, Apr 21, 2009.

1. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

You never hear from them at the U.N. You never hear about protests, or riots, or corruption in government. You never hear them waging war, or attacking their neighbors, you don't hear them complaining about other countries actions, or other countries policies.

They kinda of seem like they have it down pat.

They are energy self sufficient, from what I hear their economy is fairly sound and growing ( don't follow it that closely mind you ).

Overall, they seem like a very secure in their sovereignty type of country, that decided to rely on themselves rather than others, look at themselves for solutions before begging other countries, and I in my short term knowedlge of South America can't think of any major battle they have been involved with.

They don't seem to have the crime and drug issues you hear about so much in other south american countries...

Is it just lack of news, and exposure, or do they simply have it right? rely on ourselves to figure out our issues, look to our people for solutions, and lets everyone else worry about their own issues.

For as large of a country as they are, you would think you would hear more from them, but to me it seems like they are content letting the rest of the world worry about the rest of the world and they are just down there in relative peace with no major issues, and no interest in being the savior of the rest of the world...

No one wants to bomb them...

Should we take a page out of their playbook?
  2. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

They got lotsa these:

[​IMG]
  3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +150 / 3 / -19

Wouldn't idealize them all that much, they have huge social problems.. shanty towns..poverty.. drugs.. kiddie prostitution.. glue sniffing.. gangs.. violence on tourists etc.

They do seem relatively benign as far as international issues to though..
  4. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

We have trailer parks and Fema cities. We have social problems, we have poverty, drugs, kiddie prostitution, glue sniffing, gangs, violence on tourists, etc...

So is there daily issues any worse than ours on a major scale? It just seems like they have issues but they deal with / live with them, like all our countries without blaming others, or begging others for help...
  5. Mogamedogz

Mogamedogz Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

I take it that you never seen the film City Of God?
  6. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I have not...

But for every bad mark on another country, we have New Orleans, and Katrina. For every violence instance, we have columbine, and sexual predators...

I don't think you can go anywhere and avoid bad things, my main observation with Brazil is their global perspective, and their, from the outset, view on their sovereignty.
  7. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

Brazil has it's own problems.
  8. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

But they appear stronger as a sovereignty then anyone else in the world.
  9. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I wouldn't be looking to Brazil as any kind of model, they are rife with poverty, crime, and corruption. Sao Paolo and most of Rio are some of the most dangerous places in the world, whether you're a tourist or a local. Their crime and drug issues are as bad or worse than other countries, it just isn't publicized. They stay out of foreign affairs mostly because their military is inferior, and they haven't the money to be a power player in world politics. They're too busy trying to fix what is broken in their own country (something I agree with you that maybe we should be focused more on as well).
  10. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Exactly my point, we have our south centrals, and areas that tourist or local you can get messed up if you venture... Heck just watch History Channels "Gang Land" for a tour of those areas.

We do not have the money to worry about other problems either, See National debt, trade deficit, etc for that.

Simply put they worry about themselves, and don't allow other to worry about them.
  11. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

Appear is the right word to use. Millions, and millions of people have fled that country for a reason.
  12. PATRIOTSFANINPA

PATRIOTSFANINPA Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I saw on TV news of how the President of Brazil is one of the most beloved leaders of his country in the world and he was seen in crowds high fiving some people and just enjoying his togetherness with his people like he was one of them.

Like I always said,it starts at the top and if you have a good leader and almost everyone loves you it shows overall as a country.

The last time I saw something like this in the USA,would be when Reagan was president,He was pretty good with people and did a solid job as leader may he R.I.P..
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  13. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

Brazil had one of the most successful anti-HIV/AIDS campaigns of any country. Thankfully they were strong enough to skirt IMF and WTO tyranny and import generics, and it saved millions of lives. Unfortunately, a lot of other countries aren't powerful enough to.

They have tremendous poverty and crime problems, but as far as sovereignty and political participation they've been a relative success story.
  14. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

Disagree, it starts from the bottom up not the top down. That's how countries get good leaders; through activism and civic engagement. Democracy doesn't mean squat unless the people are involved at the basic level pushing for what they want from the ground up.

Reagan was a disastrous president not only for much of the U.S. but for Latin America also.
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2009