PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What's Peter King trying to get at?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffro

On the Roster
Reaction score
Pardon me if this has already been posted, but I didn't see it discussed here. Maybe few felt like reading through yet another Brett Favre story from Peter King. But I was wondering what he was getting at by this. He thinks the Pats are going to pull something just because of the current cap space? (from http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/peter_king/08/13/morning/3.html)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

5. I think Goodell's first big test, at least in the eyes of those who supported his opponent, attorney Gregg Levy, will be this: Can he take a draft choice away from Bob Kraft if the Patriots cheat on the cap? Not to single out Kraft, but can Goodell discipline one of the men who supported him so forcefully when the time comes? I'd bet he can, but we'll see.

I think it was an unfortunate thing for King to say. The way I read it, he's clearly making an issue of whether the new commissioner can separate himself from favoring those who supported him but the way he worded it, a quick read makes it sound like he thinks there's something to be punished for. I'm a big King fan but a quick read of this is very misleading.

What "cheating on the cap" is he - or are you - referring to?

flutie2phelan said:
That's the problem, he's not referring to anything except for the theoretical possibility and what Goodall would then do.

Bad, Peter, bad.

flutie2phelan said:

Extraordinary! Does he have any evidence that the Patriots don't play by the rules?

All I can think of that the Patriots have done that one might question is the use of LTBE incentives to find ways of pushing money into the next year. But that is a legal loophole that other teams are using too ... aren't they? ... Miguel?

I really think we're getting a little bit over-sensitive. Apparently Kraft was very vocal in his support for Goodell, and wonders if Goodell can maintain objectivity in a hypothetical situation.

If anybody should be offended, it's Goodell, whose morality is unnecessarily being questioned.

Last edited:
dryheat44 said:
I really think we're getting a little bit over-sensitive. Apparently Kraft was very vocal in his support for Goodell, and wonders if Goodell can maintain objectivity in a hypothetical situation.

If anybody should be offended, it's Goodell, whose morality is unnecessarily being questioned.
That's fine, but a quick read makes it seem like the Patriots have done something illegal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots