Welcome to PatsFans.com

What's More Important

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Mrs.PatsFanInVa, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +560 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

Than Talking About the Economy?

I dunno....ask Boehner and McConnell.

At the request of Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell and House Minority Leader John Boehner due to scheduling conflicts in organizing their caucuses, the president’s meeting with bipartisan leaders will now take place at the White House on Tuesday, November 30th,” according to a White House statement.

McConnell, Boehner postpone meeting with Obama on Bush-era tax cuts - Political Intelligence - A national political and campaign blog from The Boston Globe - Boston.com

I'm sure they're concerned about the message they're sending to the president....."We run this place now. We'll decided when we meet," but what's the message they're sending the American people? "Once again, our top priority is not jobs and the economy - it's winning and it's all about us."
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  2. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +372 / 3 / -15

The Reality is, no president is more important than congress or the supreme court...I "think" they are supposed to be equal MrsP...so for these congress people to re-schedule is the same as you re-scheduling with me.

Seems to me you're really reaching this morning. Do you know "why" it was rescheduled?
  3. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +560 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

No, you're wrong, PR. There is a hiarchy in government, just as there is in any business - and the president is at the top. You and I are not comparable to the president and the congress - you and your supervisor are comparable to the president and the congress. Would you tell your supervisor that you "couldn't make it," to an important meeting he had scheduled? There is a respect which is due - and should be shown.

The entire congress may be equally important to the presidental office - but two guys who happen to be congressmen are simply not equal on their own.

Federal government of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

No, do you? The story keeps changing depending on who's trying to cover their butt.

What reasons would you find acceptable? What pressing "conflict of interest" seems like it would be a good excuse for the Republican representatives to ask for a postponement? Whatever it is, it's saying that particular reason is a more important one than trying to actually get down to business and do what they've been elected to do...which is to try to solve the problems which confront the American people.
  4. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +372 / 3 / -15

Maybe they need more information in order to prepare for such an important meeting? I don't know, but whether the meeting happens on time or a week later won't change the employment situation at all.

I've never seen the position of POTUS as someone on a pedistal. They're just like you & I and I see them as I see anyone else. The POTUS is not like my boss since the president doesn't affect the career of a congress member in any way. In other word, the POTUS can't fire anyone or give them a bad review. I don't want congress to give too much respect to any president. The president is not "The Boss", but I think you already know that.

If somone is the majority leader, I see them as being equal to the POTUS. Since they represent congress and not themselves.

I cancelled a meeting with my boss earlier this year due to personal reasons. I was suppose to fly out for a 3 day meeting with him in Arizona. Did I "ask" if it would be ok? No, I did not. I told him I had to cancel and no matter what he thought wasn't going to change my decision. Things like that happen all the time.
  5. atomdomb

atomdomb Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Kinda the reason why we didn't have a king.
  6. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

As much as I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt this is just more Washington posturing. Seriously, do any of you think this isn’t what’s really going on here?
  7. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +502 / 6 / -2

Where were all the MrsP threads about Obama ignoring the economy when he was traveling overseas, or spending time on the campaign trail? Seriously now.
  8. tehmackdaddy

tehmackdaddy Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

No, you are wrong. Even your own link differentiates the Legislative Branch from the Executive Branch. The POTUS is not a superior position to any member of Congress.
  9. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +560 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

"Congress" is a group....the President is an individual. The president is a far more powerful individual than any single member of congress is.
  10. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +623 / 6 / -18

Pretty obvious, really.

Republicans are still smarting from when Obama showed up and dressed them down at their retreat in Baltimore. Thus, they're quite wary about these types of engagements.

Also: they're in absolutely no hurry to get anything done. An improving economy means a likely Obama re-election in 2010, and the Republicans obviously have a higher priority on winning the White House than governing effectively.

It's for similar reasons that you have Sen. Kyl's disgusting heel-dragging on the new START treaty in the Senate.
  11. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +560 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

How about the Senate? Is the POTUS superior to any member of the Senate or is that the same thing in your mind?
  12. tehmackdaddy

tehmackdaddy Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Read the Constitution and you tell me. If you can find a part where the head of the Executive branch is "higher" on the government ladder than any member of Legislative branch, then you're right.

In actuality, the only member of the Executive branch with power in the Legislative branch is the VPOTUS (as President of the Senate), and his power is extremely limited.
  13. tehmackdaddy

tehmackdaddy Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The point wasn't how "powerful" one person or body is, the point was that there was some sort of government hierarchy between the Executive and Legislative branches with regards to the POTUS. Such a hierarchy does not exist for reasons explained in the Constitution of the United States and the supporting documents of the time.

The founders created a separation of powers in order to have checks and balances between the branches of government.
  14. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

+1. this thread is what we call scraping the bottom of the barrel.
  15. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +560 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

The "point" is - two members of congres decided, two and a half weeks after accepting an invitation from the president, that there was a sudden "scheduling conflict"and they couldn't make it after all.

My question was - huh? What's more important than discussing possible solutions to the economy and jobs issues? What's more important than having your first sit-down meeting with the president you're going to have to work with for the next two or more years?

What happens now if Obama decides to play the same game and say, "Gosh,sorry, that's the only night I had available?" Will the fact that nothing ever gets done be his fault or theirs?

Better question - who do they think they're fooling? What else could be on their "schedule," which trumps sitting down with their democratic counterparts and the president?

Or are they in such disarray as a party that they can't agree on anything among themselves to such an extent that they can't even fake it fo an evening?
  16. tehmackdaddy

tehmackdaddy Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Okay. I was just responding to posts that you made.
  17. TBradyOwnsYou

TBradyOwnsYou Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

So in other words, nothing has changed in Washington... roger!
  18. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +372 / 3 / -15

Now we're back to disagreeing, but hey, that's what America is all about.

My personal feelings are, whatever it takes to get Obama out of office, I'm all for it!
  19. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +623 / 6 / -18

Yes, we're all aware you don't like Obama for whatever reason.

It's not like this is my opinion. I'm just repeating what the Republicans have come out and said plainly.
  20. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +372 / 3 / -15

I actually like him as a man. Seems like a great family guy and an all around healthy person. Just don't want the country to go more left, that is all.

He got screwed due to circumstances...but in times like these, I think we need to slow down, not speed up change.