PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What's lost in the SD win...man do they suck this year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Whats lost in the SD win..man do they suck this year

I would never, ever, put Rothlisberger in the same sentence when talking about Brady. And yes, Manning is a whining little B###h, but still a great QB. Perhaps the best pure passer in the league.

I know, Rothlisberger is no Brady, but he won what is it? something like his first 15 games in the NFL? Thats respectable.

But it goes back to his days at Tennessee with Manning. He has always thought that he should be playing by a different set of rules than the rest of the league. Where does this arrogance come from? Because he was Archie Manning's son? He was annointed at birth?

I just have a lot more respect for Rothlisberger than Manning.

Analyzing the Bolts problem is not all that difficult. Norv Turner offense includes terrible play calling. Badly planned running plays. They had Phillip Rivers throwing 5 yard outs when 15 yards were needed, and 25 yard low probability passes when they needed 8 or 10 for a FD. His confidence was sapped by running on second and twenty, insuring an impossible play call on third and 15+.

Phil Rivers was a good looking QB when he finally started after a year or two of grooming, under Marty. Now he is a shadow of his last season self. Placed in impossible situations, he is without a reliable receiving corps, even with a couple of deep receivers, and no possession WR. His confidence is shot; his passing mechanics have gone to hell, along with his accuracy. His POISE is non-existent. What's more the Team doesn't trust him either.

Norv is in the process of destroying Phil Rivers as a QB and LT as a RB, its almost fascinating watching a train wreck happening.

Remember Ditka and Ryan destroying the '85 Bears ? Its no different than AJ and Marty doing it to the Bolts, these past two seasons.

Norv Turner is an excellent offensive coordinator and an even better quarterbacks coach. Fans need to stop blaming everything on playcalling and coaches, and start looking at where the problems truly lie. Just as McDaniels isn't to blame everytime a screen doesn't work because the O-line doesn't sell it properly, or Pees to blame when the defense misses a tackle, Turner isn't always the one to blame when Rivers can't throw the ball into the ocean, or the receivers let the ball go right through the hands on dump off passes that would lead to first downs.

Again, I'm not a big fan of Norv, but Chargers fans need to stop and think before just spouting off. Hell, that's true of pretty much every fan base, including New England's.

Ugh-hum....

Excellent offensive coordinator? Compared to who? Have you seen the last few games?

Even better quarterbacks coach? Then why is Rivers regressing? Yes, part of the blame falls on Rivers himself, however, he's getting worse each game. If Norv is such a great quarterbacks coach, wouldn't you expect to see Rivers not making the same mistakes over and over again?

I am not one of the fans just automatically throwing the coaches under the bus. However, witnessing how our season is going and watching EVERY game, you don't need to be a genius to figure out where the problem lies.

Ugh-hum....

Excellent offensive coordinator? Compared to who? Have you seen the last few games?

Even better quarterbacks coach? Then why is Rivers regressing? Yes, part of the blame falls on Rivers himself, however, he's getting worse each game. If Norv is such a great quarterbacks coach, wouldn't you expect to see Rivers not making the same mistakes over and over again?

I am not one of the fans just automatically throwing the coaches under the bus. However, witnessing how our season is going and watching EVERY game, you don't need to be a genius to figure out where the problem lies.

Take a look at the 49ers to see the difference when Norv leaves. You act as if there was a huge change in San Diego's offense. Cameron was running Turner's offense for crying out loud. There are a lot of problems in San Diego:

Coach hired too late to get his staff together
Too big an ego on the GM
Too many players with seemingly poor football I.Q.
A defensive coordinator who plays a style 180° from what the personnel is best at
A quarterback that can't rely on his running game to bail him out this season because of
A running game that's nowhere near as good as it was last season when it was among the best ever

None of the above is the fault of Turner. I'm not saying he's been perfect, or even very good, but if you think Turner's the main problem, you're not paying attention to that team.

Last edited:

Take a look at the 49ers to see the difference when Norv leaves. You act as if there was a huge change in San Diego's offense. Cameron was running Turner's offense for crying out loud. There are a lot of problems in San Diego:

Coach hired too late to get his staff together
Too big an ego on the GM
Too many players with seemingly poor football I.Q.
A defensive coordinator who plays a style 180° from what the personnel is best at
A quarterback that can't rely on his running game to bail him out this season because of
A running game that's nowhere near as good as it was last season when it was among the best ever

None of the above is the fault of Turner. I'm not saying he's been perfect, or even very good, but if you think Turner's the main problem, you're not paying attention to that team.

Is that you Norv? Just kidding : )

You make some good points - there are more problems in San Diego than just the coaching. However, I believe most of the problems start at the top. I actually do like Norv, believe it or not. I just hope his so called "excellent offensive coordinator" and "great quarterbacks coaching" abilities begin to shine through this debacle of a team at some point.

How about Norv throwing the Red Flag on Reggie Waynes catch to waste what could have been a valuable time out - Did he miss what just about every fan in the seats saw that it was a great catch or was he just hoping the referee was an idiot and overturned it and was the booth upstairs just as responsible for calling the red flag to be thrown out.?

SD is a very poorly run organization right now and is spreading like a disease to some of the players on the team if not ALL of them.

Norv got lucky last night,That luck will run out soon,If I was A.J. Smith I would try my best to have the Chargers owner offer Bill Cowher the skies the limit to coach this team next year -Turner is possibly the WORST coach in the NFL this year.

I'm not a Turner fan, but people need to ease up on the guy. He got to the team late and didn't have the ability to put together his preferred coaching staff. Smith is the assclown out there, not Turner.

I agree with you about Smith but how can you defend Turner with stunts like the bad challenge decisions last night. More subjectively, it seems as if the players do not have faith in his leadership. They won, but the whole org knows that in the rest of the multiverse that kick is made.

How about Norv throwing the Red Flag on Reggie Waynes catch to waste what could have been a valuable time out - Did he miss what just about every fan in the seats saw that it was a great catch or was he just hoping the referee was an idiot and overturned it and was the booth upstairs just as responsible for calling the red flag to be thrown out.?

SD is a very poorly run organization right now and is spreading like a disease to some of the players on the team if not ALL of them.

Norv got lucky last night,That luck will run out soon,If I was A.J. Smith I would try my best to have the Chargers owner offer Bill Cowher the skies the limit to coach this team next year -Turner is possibly the WORST coach in the NFL this year.

Cowher would never work with an AJ Smythe

I think one has to fault Turner - maybe LT and Merriman aren't all they made themselves out to be, but there is no question this team was the consensus "best on paper" last year and this year.
I question it.I did last year and I do this year.

Their "team" was not good last year, but had a magical season.

Don't confuse a group of good players with a good team.

I agree with you about Smith but how can you defend Turner with stunts like the bad challenge decisions last night. More subjectively, it seems as if the players do not have faith in his leadership. They won, but the whole org knows that in the rest of the multiverse that kick is made.

I'm not claiming that Turner's been great. As I noted already in this thread:

I'm not saying he's been perfect, or even very good, but if you think Turner's the main problem, you're not paying attention to that team

However, coaches do make mistakes, even great coaches. The coach of the Super Bowl champion Indianapolis Colts also blew a timeout last night. RAC blew a timeout in the Steelers game. Herm Edwards needs a clock manager to help him with his timeouts and the like. BB decided to slow the play down in the first half against the Colts and that probably allowed that team of midgets and lightweights to stay competitive for an extra quarter as a result.

The thing is, fans have gotten to the point where they think that they are smarter than even the best coaches. How often do you see threads here *****ing about the playcalling of the greatest dynasty in decades because some idiot didn't like McDaniels tossing a screen or some such thing? Any fool can point to one play or another in a vacuum and belittle any coach in the league. However, it wasn't Turner dropping the outlet passes to the running backs and receivers last night, and it wasn't Turner tossing bad passes and fumbling the football while trying to throw to wide open receivers either.

Last edited:

I think now I am going to quietly root for Denver to somehow pull out the AFC West title so we can exact a little arse whooping on them instead in the Yoffs. So sick of San Diego and all their talk. They are a horrid football team that acts like they've won super bowls.

Again and again, I want no part of Denver in the playoffs. The farther they are away from a berth, the better.

Here's a good example of what I mean, pulled from Michael Silver's Yahoo! column today:

"A lot of guys were wondering how we could sit back and play zone all game while he was doing that to us," another Chargers veteran said. "It's like Cottrell is going to do it his way, and that's the only way he knows, and he won't come off of it. If you look at it, he's been fired from his last two jobs, and guys are questioning whether he's the right man for this one."

Now, again, I'm not saying Turner's a top coach or anything, but apparently Chargers veterans understand that it's not all about Norv.

Last edited:

My 2 cents:

2) Obviously, Rivers is not playing well. He's totally inconsistent and is playing with no confidence. In his defense, however, he's a 2nd year starting QB with a new head coach. You look at a QB like Tom Brady, undoubtedly one of the best QB's to ever play the game. No question he has a tremendous amount of talent. However, he's also a veteran QB who also had several years serving under another veteran QB - time to learn the game and build his confidence. And NO, I'm not trying to compare Rivers to Brady, just saying that given some time he could turn out to be a great QB.

Tom Brady did not have "several years". It was two. Rivers is just not good, period. He is overrated, mechanically flawed and immature. He is below average. So, to say he is not living up to his potential would be innacurate, considering his potential is not that high in the first place.

Here's a good example of what I mean, pulled from Michael Silver's Yahoo! column today:

Now, again, I'm not saying Turner's a top coach or anything, but apparently Chargers veterans understand that it's not all about Norv.

Those "classy" Charger players...throwing everyone under the bus...

The Chargers had 5 meaningful INTs (the last was in essence a hail mary) and yet still relied on 2 kick return scores and a missed 29yd FG to win. The Colts were without both Harrison and Clark, Moorehead looked lost on his route running and Johnson subbing at left tackle is a disaster, yet still almost pulled this one out on the road in the rain one week after a both mentally and physically draining playoff-like game.

I think I'm looking forward to a #4 seed San Diego making the trip to Foxboro in January...assuming they beat a #5 Tennessee, Jacksonville or Cleveland squad.

Regards,
Chris

I don't care who wins from the #4-#6 group so long as it does not include Indy or Pitt. Let them duke it out over the right to come here.

San Diego got on a good roll last year and LT carried them for most of the season, but when it really came down to it, Rivers was not ready to handle the big throws and big games.

Somewhere along the way, a QB reveals himself to be what he really is. In the case of Rothlisberger and Brady, they stepped up from game #1 and made plays when they needed to. Romo may yet turn out OK but some of what Romo does in big games was revealed last year. He started choking down the stretch and could not continue to play on the level he started earlier in the year. Manning is exactly what we saw last night. A sore loser and without significant weapons, is just another QB with a good arm but not the testicular fortitude to finish off the opponent.

I'm not a fan of his body language at times either, but don't you think you are selling the guy a little short? Would he stll "not [have] the testicular fortitude to finish off the opponent" had Adam kicked the FG?

Norv Turner is an excellent offensive coordinator and an even better quarterbacks coach. Fans need to stop blaming everything on playcalling and coaches, and start looking at where the problems truly lie. Just as McDaniels isn't to blame everytime a screen doesn't work because the O-line doesn't sell it properly, or Pees to blame when the defense misses a tackle, Turner isn't always the one to blame when Rivers can't throw the ball into the ocean, or the receivers let the ball go right through the hands on dump off passes that would lead to first downs.

Again, I'm not a big fan of Norv, but Chargers fans need to stop and think before just spouting off. Hell, that's true of pretty much every fan base, including New England's.
I'm always thinking. I put just about every one of our losses on PR. He sucks right now. Period. He's thrown 3 pick 6's. Fumbled twice for TD's. 10 TD's and 10 ints total. Fumbled 10 times and lost 5 of them.

If PR was playing well we'd be no worse than 8-1 right now. We definitely would have been in every game this year including the NE game.

some idiot Charger fan said he would take Rivers over Brady.

If I knew that guy I'd take out a life insurance policy on him. That's what I call a good bet - better than betting the NFL or the stock market.

The thing about Norv is not that he's BAD, per se. Yes, his teams are pretty competitive most of the time, and they give 110%, but this is something I noticed about him in Washington...

Perhaps it's their lack of math skills.:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back