Welcome to PatsFans.com

What's everyone's favorite movie that deals with politics?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Pujo, Mar 16, 2007.

1. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I'm hoping we can have a slightly less contentious political discussion about something. What's everyone's favorite political movie? Not necessarily a movie about politics (though those are fine, too), but one with political implications (it's a wide net to cast).

Mine's Crimson Tide (actually, one of my favorite movies, period).
  2. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +167 / 4 / -4

I'm not familiar with Crimson Tide, but will add it to my Neflix list.

I'm not sure if these are my favorites, but they're political movies that I thought were excellent:

Reds
    Being There
    Z
    Manchurian Candidate
    Judgment at Nuremburg

Some of the righties might also enjoy Triumph of the Will.
  3. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +306 / 4 / -2

The Siege.

[​IMG]

The movie was made in 1998, well before 9/11, but does pose some interesting questions regarding the constitution & terrorism with respect to today's incidents and issues. Also, it shows the clash between the CIA and FBI. It's a very good movie. I highly reccomend it.
  4. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Crimson Tide is a very realistic movie (though luckily not based on a true story) about a mutiny on a nuclear submarine. Gene Hackman and Denzel Washington did a great job as the Captian and XO. Really makes one think how close to the brink of a nuclear war we always are.
  5. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

It's funny that you mention The Siege, Real World. I saw it in the theater on opening day because I was so excited about it, but I remember being dissapointed. I found parts of it to be very realistic, and very thought-provoking, I just didn't think it was a very entertaining movie. I think I need to see it again since that was so long ago.
  6. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +186 / 6 / -23

MASH, because it shows the stupidity of war and it effects on people.
  7. chris_in_sunnyvale

chris_in_sunnyvale Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Does "The Hunt for Red October" count?

Regards,
    Chris
  8. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Sure does!
  9. Real World

Ratings:
    +306 / 4 / -2

It does make you wonder how a war was not started by accident, or what would happen if an accident ever happened. It is a very good movie, just as most Denzel, or Gene Hackman flicks are.

Another good movie is Black Hawk Down. I went to college with a Ranger who was in that operation. I remember sitting with my bro and this dude in the Suffolk Cafe (I was 19 and my bro had just been discharged) and they were talking about the op. The guy was saying how they were surrounded by hundreds of people shooting at them and chasing them in the streets. He was telling me about Delta Force, and how tough they were, and how they had earings, tattoo's and beards. When he started to describe the fighting I thought he was FOS and went back to reading my Herald sports page. Anyhow, when I saw the Histroy Channel 2 hour on it, and saw the movie, it was EXACTLY as the Ranger was telling me.

The movie is of political interest because when it first starts you feel as though we should be there for those starving, oppressed people. Then when they start killing our boys you start to ask yourself "why are we even over there?" which moves to "fukc those savages, mow'em down!". I've seen it 10 times at least, and I feel the same way everytime.

[​IMG]
  10. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Great suggestion, RW, I might rent BHD this weekend.
  11. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +334 / 1 / -9

Good work Pujo, great movie, I watch it every time it's on.
    At the end of the movie he brings the Sub into Searsport Maine, right up the coast from where I now live.

Megga Ditto's to you Pujo :rocker:
  12. Real World

Ratings:
    +306 / 4 / -2

Oh, I think post 9/11 you'll like it much more. There are obviously some dumb scenes, like when he jumps and rolls into the classroom and shoots the terrorist with the bomb, but the legal aspects, the constitution, and the clash between the CIA & FBI really offer some interesting perspectives. Also, what starts it all is truly interesting too. Remember, it's the abduction of the radical islamic terror leader that pushes the cells into action.
  13. Real World

Ratings:
    +306 / 4 / -2

That was a very good movie too.

BTW, Fred Thompson was in that movie.
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2007
  14. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

If you'll forgive my piggybacking, I just think it needs to be noted that anyone who thinks Crimson Tide is realistic obviously has never been in the navy, has no clue how submarine combat operates, submarine warfare operates, how the navy operates, what the protocol is for nuclear weapon release is or understands the sanctity of the chain of command (and that there has never been a mutiny onboard a United States Naval vessel in the history of our republic).

Crimson Tide is a mediocre movie and about as realistic as Harry Potter.

For those of you who haven't seen the movie, the basic dilemma comes about when the ballistic missile submarine USS Alabama (commanded by Gene Hackman and Denzel Washington is the X.O.) receives a message instructing them to nuke Russia (because rebels have seized control of and are fueling a nuclear weapon). Then, after a brief fight with another sub which conveniently damages their radio antenna, then get a follow up message but are unable to read it. Denzel essentially says "We shouldn't nuke Russia since we don't know what this 2nd message says." Hackman essentially replies "Screw you. Proceed with the nuking." So Denzel says "Wanna bet?" and takes over.

Oh, and it goddamn pisses me off how everyone in the movie (including the officers) calls the submarine a "ship". That little blunder alone makes me want to puke. Don't these idiot Hollywood writers consult experts..?!?
  15. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

You're thinking of Hunt for Red October.
  16. Real World

Ratings:
    +306 / 4 / -2

The only thing I disliked about the Crimson Tide movie, was the racial remarks near the end, with the horse and it being born white or whatever. That was unnecessary to me. The movie didn't need that. I thought it kind of cheapened it a little bit.
  17. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

IIRC, he plays a Rear Admiral (lower half) in that film... rumor has it, he's considering trying to get a higher rank in the near future :D
  18. Real World

Ratings:
    +306 / 4 / -2

Well didn't you just piss on our parade. :mad:

I'm kidding. I still thought the movie was entertaining, even if it's unrealistic. I'm curious though what protocal is? I thought they did show protocal, in the essence of commander versus X.O., which was interesting.
  19. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Obviously I've never pretended to be in the Navy, and my opinion of the movie's realism is limited by my lack of experience. I take it you've served on a nuclear submarine?

What else don't you like about the movie, other than them calling the sub a ship?
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2007
  20. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +334 / 1 / -9

I know it, I thought of it after I posted it, they are two of my favorite movies.

Now if PressCover didn't have me blocked he could call me a stupid bastard :D