PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What's at stake Sunday...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamBam39

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
The way I see it, there are two main things that we'll take away from this week's game.

The first is obvious, and that is, the positioning for the top seed in the AFC playoff hunt. A pats win will put each team at 7-1, with the pats holding the tie-breaker as a result of beating the colts. I think there's a decent chance the pats run the table after that and keep hold of the top seed going into the playoffs. If the pats lose, they'll be 6-2 and probably tied with a few teams, while the colts will be 8-0 and hold the tie-breaker, so the colts would most likely hold that lead the rest of the way. So the way I see it, this game could very well decide where the afc championship will be played.

The second main thing to take from the game is it will be a clear barometer of where the pats are in their week-by-week procession towards becoming a better and better team. Are we good enough at this point to knock off the best teams out there? Or are we good enough to beat most teams, but still a little short when it comes to teams like the colts and the broncos? This is an importqnt test for that reason. if we lose, and it seems like the colts were pretty much in control of the game, then we'll know we still have some serious improving to do before the playoffs. if we win, then we'll know that regardless of how much better we get the rest of the way, we are capable of beating anyone right now. we'll be playoff-ready. obviously we are all hoping for a win, but if not, at least we'll get a clear view of where we are at and what needs to be done to get where we want to be.

Also at stake here is whether or not we get subjected to nine dismal weeks of "can they match the '72 Dolphins?" because after this game the Colts schedule is pretty much downhill all the way with only the December 10 game at Jacksonville looking like a real problem for them. They finish at houston and then in their dome against Miami, and if they get that far undefeated they'd have a chance of 16-0 behind Jim Sorgi, never mind Manning.

ironwasp said:
Also at stake here is whether or not we get subjected to nine dismal weeks of "can they match the '72 Dolphins?"
Yeah, we need to get these guys a loss. It would be awesome to win, if we do we'll be the #1 seed this time next week with just the Bears as a game that we can't realistically be very confident in (although Jacksonville won't be easy).

So a win would be absolutley fantastic. A loss, though, is hardly devastating. We can just about lock up the division if we beat the jesters at home in a few weeks and even though we seem to be getting better by the week, we'll still have half a season after this week for the passing game to get get even more in synch.

You know when I think about it, even if NE loses this game I think they would make out just fine in Indy, really I honestly have just as much confidence in them at Indy than in foxboro. I would be more concerned with NE @ Denver, that would scare me a bit...

@ stake in this game, in my mind, is not showing Indy too much, like BB always never does. Don't show your hand, there is a good chance you'll see them again, even if it means a loss in regular season (although that may mean packing your bags and going to Denver, not good). Continue to work on some new stuff mixed in with some tried an true stuff throughout the year and bring this package to foxboro or Indy in January...

...to summarize, if you are fearing a loss here will result in u travelling to Denver, do not lose. If you are fearing a loss here will result in you travelling to Indy..pffftt, no big deal there in my eyes...

To me, the most important part isn't about HFA but rather about who has the easier divisional round playoff game.

If the Colts beat NE, that pretty much wraps up HFA throughout the playoffs for them because they will have a 2 game lead over Denver and New England PLUS they will have the tie-breaker against each team. NE and Denver would fight it out for #2 and #3 - which means NE would have to play Denver in the divisional round (which would suck).

If NE beats Indy, that gives NE the inside track for #1 (although it is certainly by no means a lock). That gives us the advantage of hoping Indy and Denver get the #2 and #3 seed so they will play each other in the divisional round and NE would have a much easier game against the best of the rest (probably San Diego or Baltimore).

BelichickFan said:
Yeah, we need to get these guys a loss. It would be awesome to win, if we do we'll be the #1 seed this time next week with just the Bears as a game that we can't realistically be very confident in (although Jacksonville won't be easy).

So a win would be absolutley fantastic. A loss, though, is hardly devastating. We can just about lock up the division if we beat the jesters at home in a few weeks and even though we seem to be getting better by the week, we'll still have half a season after this week for the passing game to get get even more in synch.

I have absolutely no fear of losing to the bears.
they are who the cardinals thought they were.
pats will definately beat them.
I feel very sure the pats run the table if they beat indy.

This is a big game, no doubt about it... and either team could win.

Indy can win a big game. They just can't win a Big Game.

It's a subtle but important distinction that makes all the difference getting to and winning the Super Bowl.

So even if the Pats don't win this big game, I have no question that come playoff time they will win the Big Game when it really counts.

in my opinion, bigger game for indy than us...they need home field adv(even though they lost last yr) more than then pats ..just my opinion

Last edited:
I think beating Indy is more important in the sense that we'll be tied with the Broncos with the Broncos holding the tie-breaker if we don't.

The good news is that Denver still has tough games remaining. They are playing Pitt in a must win for Pitt this week. They still have to play San Diego twice and go to Arrowhead, which is always tough. They also have home games against Seattle (week 13, both Hasselbeck and Alexander should be back) and Cinncinnati (Week 16, Cin. might be fighting for their playoff lives at this point.)

Realistically, I see Denver losing two more games. I think they will lose 1 to San Diego and one of the others. They could possibly lose three of these games.

That means that the Pats can realistically lose two more games this season and still have a 1st round bye providing another team doesn't run the table. The only games I see as possible losses on our schedule are Indy, Chi, and Jax. I'm sure we'll win at least one of these games.

I think this game is important for a bye. Losing this game very much puts 12-4 on the table, and I don't think 12-4 is going to get it done this year for the bye. I think either San Diego or Denver is going to sweep the other, and that team will be in very good position for 13-3. If it's Denver that sweeps San Diego, they have the tie breaker over us.

Assuming nothing else crazy happens this year, winning in this game and then having Denver and San Diego split puts us in a great position.

Lose this game, and all of the sudden, we're looking at having to win a play in game, just for the privilege of having to go on the road to San Diego, Denver, or Baltimore just to get to Indy.

PatsFaninAZ said:
I think this game is important for a bye. Losing this game very much puts 12-4 on the table, and I don't think 12-4 is going to get it done this year for the bye. I think either San Diego or Denver is going to sweep the other, and that team will be in very good position for 13-3. If it's Denver that sweeps San Diego, they have the tie breaker over us.

Assuming nothing else crazy happens this year, winning in this game and then having Denver and San Diego split puts us in a great position.

Lose this game, and all of the sudden, we're looking at having to win a play in game, just for the privilege of having to go on the road to San Diego, Denver, or Baltimore just to get to Indy.

You know what?
I think we as fans can over think this.
I just think we should sit back, have a cold one, enjoy the game and hope the pats come out and lay a whooping on them.
If they do, then we're the best team in the nfl and will probably end up with the top seed in the afc playoff brackets.
If they don't, and they lose, then we still have some work to do, alot of improving to do as a team, and we just have to sit back and wait for BB and the boys to get there and hope they have it right come playoff time. Trying to figure out who will win how many games and who will play who in the playoffs is pointless at this early juncture.
Let's just say this is a big big game for many reasons, and also agree that we all can't stand those whiny colts. go pats!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes