PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Whatever Pepper Johnson said worked

Status
Not open for further replies.

BradyManny

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Did anyone notice that sometime in the 4th, they had a shot of Johnson demonstrating something to the whole front 7 - and I believe after that point, the Pats didn't give up a first down? That's good coaching, whatever he said or told them.

Last edited:
Re: Whatever Pepper Johnsons said worked

whatever it was, it made a difference...and whether it was some technical point or not..it worked...

whatever it was, it made a difference...and whether it was some technical point or not..it worked...

It looked technical - it's incredible, sometimes I take for granted that these guys could need schooling on those things, we always expect its all scheme-talk on the sidelines. Even at this level, professionals need work on technical points - I think it's something at times we forget, or at least I do.

Last edited:

I believe he said:

"Get your heads out of your asses or we are running wind sprints all day tomorrow starting at 6 am!"

He probably said, "Look guys, they are NOT throwing the ball...assume McGahee is getting it. Really, they are going to run."

I believe he said:

"Get your heads out of your asses or we are running wind sprints all day tomorrow starting at 6 am!"
Hahaha... you're probably right!! :p

He is a great coach, always so engaged, remember the SB against the Rams and after the defense is coming off after an early stop and he's yelling at them "get your rest, get your rest".

I've always liked him, but that could be because we were both at THE Ohio State University at the same time!

:D

Whatever he said It seemed they were better able to get off their blocker
at the right time.

I think it probably has more to do with bringing an 8th man (Harrison) into the box than anything the Coaches said.

They had a safety knife into the backfield as the play was coming off...

It's hard to tackle a RB when he's behind a moving wall.

I was wondering why they didn't have some safety blitzes or CB blitzes to get someone in the backfield and trip him up before he got behind the wall.

The Pats finally stacked 8 in the box to stop the run. It worked. I'm not sure what Pepper said but, as long as it worked, who cares?

The Pats finally stacked 8 in the box to stop the run. It worked. I'm not sure what Pepper said but, as long as it worked, who cares?

Exactly, the Pats brought Harrison up to line of scrimmage on every play. The front seven was being demolished. The Steelers will be a good test for the defense, they average over 24 PPG and 138 rushing yards per game.

If the defense can hold them to 20 points and <125 yards rushing then they have done a solid job.

Like everyone else here I noticed Pepper's animated demonstration on the sideline. He seemed to be working on technique and showing how they should turn and shed a hard block....could be wrong, but I do think it made a difference, and bringing Rodney into the box sealed the run off completely. Nice to see adjustments on the field of play.

Yes, what Pepper said was technical, and from what I remember it looked like he was showing them a shedding tech.

Last edited:
On most of McGahee's runs, he took 2 steps and hit a wall. Many of his runs looked line short gainers at first. The reson McGahee had so much success is that he was able to sidestep into a hole, usually off tackle, and he had enough room to hit second gear. Once McGahee hit's second gear, our older linebackers aren't catching him.

I think our run defense's issue was playing the gaps. New England's offensive line wasn't manhandled against the run, but they were leaving gaps that are usually closed. Perhaps Pepper Johnson identified some problem late in the game and was able to make the 4th quarter adjustment.

What really frustrates me is the post game conferences. Why not ask BB football questions like, "What can you tell us about any specific adjustments made that resulted in the sudden improvement of the Pats D on the last 4 Ravens drives?" Maybe his mid-week conf is a better place to ask these as he often goes into detail there.

I re watched the 3rd and 4th quarters to see what was the difference. After the Ravens TD, they didn't get another first down until the last 30 seconds. In the TD drive, Seymour was held several times by Ogden. It was suttle, but it was there. Ogden, with his height was able to get his hands under Seymours shoulder pads and steer him.
Harrison was up in the box for several of the plays, but they had to expect the Ravens to try to bleed the clock with runs, as it is their MO.
But, on the interception, IMO, it was caused by Seymour collapsing the pocket. He beat the double team, Ogden and the Right Guard, splitting it, pushing back, so that Boller could not step into his throw. Boller couldn't get anything on the throw and had to short arm it. The throw ended up 5 yards short......

What really frustrates me is the post game conferences. Why not ask BB football questions like, "What can you tell us about any specific adjustments made that resulted in the sudden improvement of the Pats D on the last 4 Ravens drives?" Maybe his mid-week conf is a better place to ask these as he often goes into detail there.

Big Show is the best chance to hear football Qs sent BB's way and real answers sent back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes