PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Whatever happened to Leigh Bodden?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lamanai

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
is he effectively retired? I haven't heard anything about him, except that he had some surgery after being released.

I don't know if we ever got the scoop on what happened to him (injury?, poor performance?).

if he didn't burn his bridge here (which may be possible), hoe about a veteran minimum deal with incentives?

Wasn't his side of the story effectively that he wasn't able to perform in practice, and didn't think he was that badly injured, so told the coaches that he wasn't hurt. They assumed that if he wasn't hurt, then he clearly wasn't giving everything, so they cut him. Turns out that the injury was much worse than he thought, and that was why he couldn't do anything in practice.

Assume they would have IR'd him if they'd known about the injury, as it would have not hurt the cap situation to do that.

Believe it was a back injury, which required surgery..

Leigh Bodden had a herniated disk in his lower back that required surgery. This is not something to fool around with nor make light of. I experienced a ruptured disk in the lower back and underwent a 5-1/2 surgery to repair it. The technology today is amazing but when you destabilize the disks and vertebrae surrounding your spinal cord, you've got major issues. It's possible he could come back but that all depends on how much damage there was to the vertebrae.

I wish the Patriots would be more forthcoming about major injuries so we could show compassion around here rather than question a guy's commitment.

BostonHerald.com - Blogs: Rap Sheet» Blog Archive » Turns out, ex-Patriots CB Leigh Bodden needed back surgery

Twitter | LeighBodden

When asked if we were going to see him on the gridiron this season Bodden's response was "if my body wants to I'll be out there".

I'm speculating that he is not yet physically ready to play football. Considering the nature of the injury and the fact he made $10 million over the last two years, ... if it was me, I don't if I would continue playing - especially for a vet minimum contract.

Leigh Bodden had a herniated disk in his lower back that required surgery. This is not something to fool around with nor make light of. I experienced a ruptured disk in the lower back and underwent a 5-1/2 surgery to repair it. The technology today is amazing but when you destabilize the disks and vertebrae surrounding your spinal cord, you've got major issues. It's possible he could come back but that all depends on how much damage there was to the vertebrae.

I wish the Patriots would be more forthcoming about major injuries so we could show compassion around here rather than question a guy's commitment.

BostonHerald.com - Blogs: Rap Sheet» Blog Archive » Turns out, ex-Patriots CB Leigh Bodden needed back surgery

You know, when a player has played hard in the past, why not just not question his commitment in the first place?

These guys are all hurt, sometimes badly. Players' character doesn't change.

The onus was on Bodden because he wasn't forthcoming with the Pats about the injury. If Bodden had been, even during the meeting in which it was reported that both sides agreed it was time for Bodden to move on, then Bodden would still be a part of the Patriots because of the injury. And at the very least, he'd know there'd been a $1 million insurance payment coming for him this year.

One can't blame the Pats for not doing something about which they had no clue because the player kept it from them.

I herniated my L5-S1 disk when i was 18. Had surgery at age 19..was good for 2 years...as of late it's bad...back injuries are the absolute worst

I herniated my L5-S1 disk when i was 18. Had surgery at age 19..was good for 2 years...as of late it's bad...back injuries are the absolute worst

I'm sincerely sorry to hear that. How exactly did you manage to herniate it at such a young age?

-Jamman

Why would the Pats do that? If they did, half of this forum wouldn't know what to talk about if they couldn't complain constantly about how lousy Belichick is at drafting and building teams.

Last edited:

Then that is not good news for SeaBass - with all the back problems last year. Plus (as I have been reading old rookie scouting reports on our recent draft picks) - I believe he also had back problems while at Houston. True, just found it: "Back surgery to repair a herniated disc in his back kept Vollmer on the sidelines for the entire 2006 campaign. .......His grade is lower because of a lack of experience and concerns over his back..."

Sebastian Vollmer, Houston, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

didnt mean to hijack the thread....now back to more Leigh Bodden news...

The onus was on Bodden because he wasn't forthcoming with the Pats about the injury. If Bodden had been, even during the meeting in which it was reported that both sides agreed it was time for Bodden to move on, then Bodden would still be a part of the Patriots because of the injury. And at the very least, he'd know there'd been a $1 million insurance payment coming for him this year.

One can't blame the Pats for not doing something about which they had no clue because the player kept it from them.

Do we know that Bodden wasn't forthcoming in that meeting? I am not questioning that it might be true, just how do we know who said what in those meetings?

I understand players not wanting to be fully candid about injuries for fear of losing their jobs, but wouldn't a precipitous drop-off in ability trigger a physical examination to get to the root of the issue?

They didn't know he was hurt. And considering he kept working out for teams and trying to get a contract after he was cut, maybe there is something to the character issue.

I remember around the time of his release, his agent (or maybe he tweeted it) put out a statement that he was healthy and ready to sign on with a new NFL team.

I find it strange to hear that a guy who should've wound up on IR was instead released and is now OOF.

I also find it strange to think of players hiding things from their coaches. I'm not saying its impossible or unlikely, but given the amount of time they all spend together, and given the importance of evaluating an injury so as to get proper treatment and recover ASAP, I'm just surprised to hear that Bodden hid a herniated disc in his back.

I think it is likely that he himself was not fully aware of the nature/severity of the injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back