PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What'd be an ideal kickoff?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Seriously . . . when Grammatica/Gostkowski kick off, what would be the best possible outcome, assuming the opponents don't turn it over?

The return man catches it and gets nailed at the 1 yard line.

TomBradyWoot said:
The return man catches it and gets nailed at the 1 yard line.

Whereupon he fumbles and we recover it in the endzone for a touchdown!

:rocker:

I think the ideal, repeatable kickoff goes 4 yards into the endzone, with enough air under it that the coverage unit can get downfield. Generally the opposing team will take a knee and start on the 20.

Since there is no such thing as a fair catch on a kickoff ... i have longed hoped
for some strong-legged kicker - perhaps from Australia ... who can put enough air under the ball
to launch it towards about the 10 or 20 ...
where our coverage team can turn it into a jump ball.

ctpatsfan77 said:
Seriously . . . when Grammatica/Gostkowski kick off, what would be the best possible outcome, assuming the opponents don't turn it over?
It seems to me that the kicking team is always plenty happy with a touchback. Any time a kicker is able to boot the ball straight through the end zone, they usually do just that.

flutie2phelan said:
Since there is no such thing as a fair catch on a kickoff ... i have longed hoped
for some strong-legged kicker - perhaps from Australia ... who can put enough air under the ball

Me too! Is there a maximum tee height? I assume there is, because with a 10-inch tee our dream could become a reality. How many inches off the ground does a punter's foot meet the ball? That's how high a tee I actually mean.

shakadave said:
Me too! Is there a maximum tee height? I assume there is, because with a 10-inch tee our dream could become a reality. How many inches off the ground does a punter's foot meet the ball? That's how high a tee I actually mean.

Yes, there is a maximum tee height for kick-offs. Its 1 inch. In fact, it was mentioned shortly after the draft that most college kickers use a 2 inch tee, but that Gostkowski had been using a 1 inch tee for his college career. That is one less thing that Gostkowski will have to worry about should he make the team.

Last edited by a moderator:
No turnover? Well, then he gets absolutely lit up on the 1 I guess...

TBW is correct. There are fair catches on kickoffs in the NFL. I don't know what ruleset you would be speaking of flutie2.

That being said best result is usually the touchback.

But sometimes if you get enough hangtime on the ball that the coverage unit will get right on the receiving man before he gets a chance to move he will call the fair catch for fear of his head getting knocked off.

What you look for in kickoffs primarily are distance and hangtime.

Placement is usually secondary unless you kick it out of bounds which would be BAD.

On the other hand for punts you are looking primarily for placement and hangtime. That's usually when you can paint them near the 5 yards and in line with a good punter.

Last edited:
NEM said:
Obviously the ideal kickof is that the receiver has the ball hit him in helmet with such force that it ricochets all the way out to Grammatica who is so shocked to have the ball in his hands that he panics and hands it to the third cheerleader from the left, and she brings it up to me in my seat and says she will give it to me if i take her out to dinner and back to my hotel afterwards. NOW, thats an ideal kickoff, dirty old man that I am. :p
Not QUITE ideal NEM because you have to pay for dinner.

What's a hot dog cost?

Box_O_Rocks said:
What's a hot dog cost?

In my Madden 06 franchise mode they cost $3000. Havent sold any yet though.

Box_O_Rocks said:
What's a hot dog cost?

HAHA!! I would imagine she would get some kind of employee discount on hot dogs......

AndyJohnson said:
In my Madden 06 franchise mode they cost $3000. Havent sold any yet though.
Wow, maybe NEM will have to spring for the garden salad after all!

VJCPatriot said:
TBW is correct. There are fair catches on kickoffs in the NFL. I don't know what ruleset you would be speaking of flutie2.

A kickoff is a free ball, right?

When a squib kick is bouncing around near the goalline, why wouldn't the bamboozled returner call for a fair catch?
... and become entitled to an unimpeded opportunity to make the catch?

Why wouldn't the team expecting an onside kick do the same?

flutie2phelan said:
A kickoff is a free ball, right?

When a squib kick is bouncing around near the goalline, why wouldn't the bamboozled returner call for a fair catch?
... and become entitled to an unimpeded opportunity to make the catch?

Why wouldn't the team expecting an onside kick do the same?

Once it hits the ground you can't catch it anymore.

flutie2phelan said:
Actually you can fair catch a kickoff...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes