PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What WR's will be available?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Real World

Reaction score
I love the Pats. I think they could easily be a Superbowl team. However, they do have holes. Will Rodney H make it back? Are they getting old at LB? Will the kicking game kill them? Are their cornerbacks good enough.....

That being said, the hole that scares me the most is at WR. There is no way we can go into a season, or at least play an entire season, with the current core of Wide Outs. All of our WR's are old, small, and/or frail. They have histories of missing games due to injury, are holding out and may not play, or are so inexperienced they belong on a rebuilding team.

My question is, who is, or will be available for us at WR? Is anyone of note going to be cut?

Available now:

Az-Akim
Kevin Johnson

Potential camp casualty:

Charles Rogers
David Patten

Anyone got some 411?

While it would be great to have a better crop of WR's on the team, it certainly isn't a death sentence to have what we have now. With our mix of TE's and RB's this year, I don't think that having WR's as "role" players instead of as stars of the offense (like Dallas with TO and Glenn) necessarily makes the Pats impotent offensively.

We'll just have to utilize other weapons better. In the salary cap age, it isn't about having the best players at every part of the game. It would be great if this was the late 80's and early 90's and we could assemble a team like the 49ers had with Montana, Rice, etc. In the salary cap era, it's so much more about accentuating your strengths and minimizing weaknesses. Every team has a weakness in some area. Ours happens to be at WR this year and that will only hurt us if we ask our WR's to be the primary chain movers.

Instead of doing that, attack with our strengths in TE and RB. That will open up the passing lanes to or WR's and make it much easier for them to contribute to the offense. I'm confident that we'll be fine with the make up of our team this year even if Deion intends to hold out till week 10.

Add Marc Boerigter to the list of Free Agent WRs as he was just cut by Green Bay.

Hakim or Johnson or Rogers won't bring anything more to the table besides having a "big name" than what Bam or Kight have brought so far.

Bam has easily been the best Pats' WR blocker in the preseason. He's one tough mofo.

Believe me, once Chad Jackson gets back out there and can't start showing off what got him drafted, you'll feel more comfortable with the WR situation.

There's not a shortage of pass catchers.

DaBruinz said:
Add Marc Boerigter to the list of Free Agent WRs as he was just cut by Green Bay.
Who was signed by the Colts today...;)

I'd like to take a shot at Rogers, even better I would try to trade Branch to Detroit for Mike Williams and their #2 pick - Branch and Roy Williams could be a sick pair in Martz' offense in a dome.

In short - a bunch of JAGs will be available.

Now could some of those JAGs be better than our JAGS competing for the 5th WR spot (4th if you think Branch won't be back)? Maybe. Is there a difference maker - nope.

Sean Morey will likely be cut. I have always liked him but i dont see it happening again.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd bring back Morey. He'd help the special teams.

So, our awesome starters would be Caldwell and Childress, with Troy in the slot. Jackson won't be ready without at least a couple of weeks of practice, and even then we must ask how long will it take for him to make up for the loss of Training Camp.

SeanBruschi54 said:
Sean Morey will likely be cut. I have always liked him but i dont see it happening again.

I would be surprised if the Steelers cut Sean Morey, but he is a WR in title only and is just a special teams ace.
The Odd man out in Pitt. could likely be Quincy Morgan, who I actually like a lot. He does drop some but he is a pretty solid player.
I'd rather the Steelers cut Morey and keep Morgan but I just don't see it happening as they will probably keep their special teams captain rather than Morgan who by midseason would likely be their 6th WR.

Kevin Johnson might be OK in time..Morgan?? They will find a vet if Branch is MIA as he has been.

I still don't understand why we're not stealing Fred Ex off Parcell's shadow roster. :D

Real World said:
My question is, who is, or will be available for us at WR? Is anyone of note going to be cut?

Potential camp casualty:

Charles Rogers
David Patten

Anyone got some 411?

Are you just pulling names out of your wahzoo? There may be some speculation on rogers but there has been no hint from the lions. washington stated they will not cut patten a few weeks ago. do you have documentation or just hopes?

BelichickFan said:
I'd like to take a shot at Rogers, even better I would try to trade Branch to Detroit for Mike Williams and their #2 pick - Branch and Roy Williams could be a sick pair in Martz' offense in a dome.

I would like to see the Patriots trade Branch, assuming he never comes to camp. However, the Patriots are the only team that value him that highly and most teams aren't willing to trade for a mid-tier receiver then give him the money he wants. No team but the Patriots would even have given him the offer he got, let alone Reggie Wayne money.

Quincy Morgam is not even close to be as good as Kevin Johnson. I believe Johnson had a tendon injury, and that may be scaring people away.

Hear the bell bamming, it's time for a youth movement.

from my side:

IF Deion Branch returns and IF Chad Jackson start to play...i will feel confortable 100%

ClosingTime said:
I would be surprised if the Steelers cut Sean Morey, but he is a WR in title only and is just a special teams ace.
The Odd man out in Pitt. could likely be Quincy Morgan, who I actually like a lot. He does drop some but he is a pretty solid player.
I'd rather the Steelers cut Morey and keep Morgan but I just don't see it happening as they will probably keep their special teams captain rather than Morgan who by midseason would likely be their 6th WR.
I have it on 4 very good Steelers insiders that Morey is the odd man out this year. Unless he can fix what they've been telling him to fix he will be the cut.

Digger44 said:
Are you just pulling names out of your wahzoo? There may be some speculation on rogers but there has been no hint from the lions.

There have been plenty of hints from the Lions. He was a healthy scratch in games at the end of last year because they of his attitude and he is currently 3rd string on thier depth chart behind guys no one has ever heard of. It would be a big surprise at this point if he makes the team.

dhamz said:
There have been plenty of hints from the Lions. He was a healthy scratch in games at the end of last year because they of his attitude and he is currently 3rd string on thier depth chart behind guys no one has ever heard of. It would be a big surprise at this point if he makes the team.

After all of the things you just said why would the Pats want him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back