PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What WR would you want?

I've settled on a few guys, but the one that just screams "patriot" is Nelson Agholor. He is the best Amendola replacement imho. If for some reason he doesn't work out as a wr then we at least have a pretty good punt returner.

Stefon Diggs/Maryland, 6 ft tall/195 lbs. Dude is QUICK! He is a dual threat WR/KR/PR and has a wicked cutback/quick dip move along with some bad ass hand eye coordination/SICK LOOKIN ONE HAND GRABS!! Had some injuries the past season and half, but all reports and interviews with him saying all is good and he feels like a million bucks! Currently projected 4th rd and later ( because of the injuries ), but with a good combine could shoot up to the 2nd rd. Definitely a Pats type guy with the qualities BB looks for. Edit forgot to add this lil piece :) Enjoy!

Last edited:
Devin Smith, for my money. The dude needs to polish up his route running but he has DeSean Jackson written all over him. He could be absolutely lethal in this offense.

Devin Smith, for my money. The dude needs to polish up his route running but he has DeSean Jackson written all over him. He could be absolutely lethal in this offense.

I personally think Devin Smith is way overrated. He can't run a route to save his life, and is a Mike Wallace one trick pony. He'll find a place in the NFL, no doubt, and make some splash plays, but I think his game is very poorly suited to Brady's strengths. I'd take Tre McBride over Smith any day at flanker.

I personally think Devin Smith is way overrated. He can't run a route to save his life, and is a Mike Wallace one trick pony. He'll find a place in the NFL, no doubt, and make some splash plays, but I think his game is very poorly suited to Brady's strengths. I'd take Tre McBride over Smith any day at flanker.

Sometimes good coaching can fix that. For different reasons, Edelman wasn't the best route runner when he first came into the league but, over time, he polished that area of his game and now runs some of the crisper routes in the game. Smith has elite athleticism and a knack for finding the end zone. He can get deep or take a bubble screen to the house. Personally, I think that fits into Brady's game just fine.

I don't think we should confuse "can't run a route" and "isn't required to run complex routes". Ohio State don't need him to run the full route tree because he's speed is such a mismatch at the college level. He helps them win by doing what he's doing.

Lance Zierlein calls him the best gunner in CFB (he made a hell of a special teams play in the senior bowl) and his ability to locate, track and adjust to the ball makes him someone that will probably be way better than Mike Wallace. You know how much I love McBride but he's not the athlete Smith is.

Sometimes good coaching can fix that. For different reasons, Edelman wasn't the best route runner when he first came into the league but, over time, he polished that area of his game and now runs some of the crisper routes in the game. Smith has elite athleticism and a knack for finding the end zone. He can get deep or take a bubble screen to the house. Personally, I think that fits into Brady's game just fine.

He and Edelman running a pick play will give the defense fits.

Lance Zierlein calls him the best gunner in CFB (he made a hell of a special teams play in the senior bowl) and his ability to locate, track and adjust to the ball makes him someone that will probably be way better than Mike Wallace. You know how much I love McBride but he's not the athlete Smith is.

Probably not, but he's a much better receiver, IMO.

Lance Zierlein also has this to say about McBride:
I started tape work on McBride in early January in preparation for the East-West Shrine Game and I was blown away by the acrobatic catches he was making on his 2013 tape. I couldn't wait to get from target to target because McBride's body control and concentration was on display so frequently. He had a solid week at Shrine practices and needs to build on that with a serviceable 40-yard dash at the combine, as his play speed and ability to get separation on the NFL level is in question. Watch these McBride highlights and thank me later.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...h-closely-at-combine?campaign=Twitter_nfl_cfb

You and Kontra are welcome to have the speed demon.

I tend to see Smith as a perfect Seahawk, as a potentially better version of Kearse. There he can get behind defenses and go get the ball on broken plays.

I'm with you. Just the attention a guy like Smith will draw from defenses will make Gronk/Edelman/LaFell unstoppable on the short/intermediate stuff.

I am kind of intrigued by JJ Nelson out of UAB. 5-11 small wide receiver with some amazing speed, great return man and he led the blazers in receiving yards. CBS doesn't seem to think he will be drafted but a good combine could change that

I am kind of intrigued by JJ Nelson out of UAB. 5-11 small wide receiver with some amazing speed, great return man and he led the blazers in receiving yards. CBS doesn't seem to think he will be drafted but a good combine could change that
He's a late Rder/UDFA I've had my eye on as well. I think a player with return skills would be on the agenda sooner rather than later. He's a wisp of a guy at 175 or so, but Dri Archer went in the 3rd last year. Lockett of Kansas St. and the RB Abdullah from Nebraska I like as well. I really think we could use a good returner and if the guy could contribute on coverages even better, which is something I don't see Nelson being capable of.

Edelman is a great PR, but I think his days of that are not far away from being a thing of the past. Amendola is our main KR guy, but his roster status is shaky at best right now. Bill puts alot of emphasis on the kicking game and I think that gets overlooked. Who expected Slater and Bolden to get wrapped up before some of our other higher priority players? I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Gost getting a contract before McCourty.

I think he is a better fit for the Seahawks than he is for us. Smith is very good with the deep ball. He's fast, he can track the ball well and he can catch it with a defender close. So he isn't just another fast guy in my opinion. But that isn't really Bradys main game, even if we try and add a wrinkle of it here and there(Tyms, brought back Stallworth a few seasons ago). Brady kind of rifles the ball in, even if it's a deep ball, which doesn't really help receivers to adjust. Wilson on the other hand has a beautiful arch on his deep ball that lets receivers adjust to it. He also likes to throw it deep a lot. I also think that the moving pocket, QB scramble, and play action might help Smith get open behind linebackers and stuff like that on crossers, which could help overcome his route running.

I think he is a better fit for the Seahawks than he is for us. Smith is very good with the deep ball. He's fast, he can track the ball well and he can catch it with a defender close. So he isn't just another fast guy in my opinion. But that isn't really Bradys main game, even if we try and add a wrinkle of it here and there(Tyms, brought back Stallworth a few seasons ago). Brady kind of rifles the ball in, even if it's a deep ball, which doesn't really help receivers to adjust. Wilson on the other hand has a beautiful arch on his deep ball that lets receivers adjust to it. He also likes to throw it deep a lot. I also think that the moving pocket, QB scramble, and play action might help Smith get open behind linebackers and stuff like that on crossers, which could help overcome his route running.
I'd love to see him in NE, great deep threat that we need but he's a better fit for a QB (Flacco/Stafford) or coach (Kubiak) that will just bomb balls down the field, Brady relies on short passes to Edelman, Vereen, Amendola, first down throws to Gronk and maybe a 10-12 yard pass to LaFell, no one that burns oppsoing CBs stretching down the field though, Smith's presence alone would help us, already view him better than Dobson (who I hope will break out)

R1: White, Parker
Day 2 DGB, Perriman, Coates, Agholor
Day 3: Smelter, Dezmin Lewis, JJ Worton

FWIW I class Funchess as a TE and would take him in the first round. I think getting him or Maxx Williams as a partner for Gronk AND as Gronk insurance is much more important for our offense.

Day 1: Amari, White
Day 2: DGB, Devin Smith
Day 3: Crowder, Jordan Taylor

Day 1: none.
Day 2: none.
Day 3: DeAndre Smelter, Tre McBride. Possibly some others late or as UDFAs.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back