PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What would your ideal Patriots draft look like? (realistic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
sebman2112;397719 What did you think of the two mocks I posted?[/QUOTE said:
I like both of your drafts a lot, I would hate to lose Samuel because I think we would struggle THIS year. I love Revis, one of my personal favorites in this draft. Reminds me of Ty Law. If the Patriots could land him, Harris, and Bradley I would be very happy.

I have been through all the profiles and looked at more mocks than I care to admit too and have been on this board finding valuable info more than I have been working and thought it was time for everyone to show who their favorites are and show their ideal draft. I will start:
TRADES:
#24-trade down with TB and aquire picks #35 and #64
#180 and #202-trade up to pick #153

IDEAL DRAFT FOR ME:
#28-Brandon Merriweather-my #2 safety overall and think he has the potential to be an Ed Reed type.

#35-Lamaar Woodley-Honestly think he is the best player from the Wolverines team, a football player, to me he could be the next Adalius Thomas because I think he is versatile enough to do a lot of different things.

#64-David Harris- Smart, great tackler and has good speed, 2nd best ILB in this draft and would be a nice addition to the D

#91-Stewart Bradley- I know I have gone heavy at LB but we need youth and versatily.

#127-Michael Coe-bigger corner than has a lot of potential

#153-Dwayne Wright-kinda a poor mans Leonard Russell. Not superfast, but could be a nice compliment to Maroney. Catches the ball well and is a decent blocker in the pass game.Versatility is his biggest asset.

#171-Courtney Taylor-Taller wide reciever that runs great routes and has great hands. Not the fastest guy, but a lot of interviews with the corners coming out this year said he was the toughest guy they have ever faced.

#208-Mike Otto-Otto played LT but would probably be more of a guard or RT in the NFL, good size and footwork, durable, smart, 4 year starter from a system than does zone blocking

#209-Jeff Rowe-developmental QB that is smart. Good leadership skills and is an accurate passer. Not the strongest arm, but that can be developed.

#247-Keith Jackson-Big DT that would be a nice future backup to Wilfork. Not real tall, but is stout and good against the run, has the body to be a 3-4 NT.

so there you have it, no real huge reaches I don't think. I would love any comments on mine or to see what other people are thinking would make them a happy camper on draft weekend.

Although I don't agree with them all. I would take this draft. Good Job Cousin.
DW Toys

I like both of your drafts a lot, I would hate to lose Samuel because I think we would struggle THIS year. I love Revis, one of my personal favorites in this draft. Reminds me of Ty Law. If the Patriots
could land him, Harris, and Bradley I would be very happy.

I agree with you on Revis Cousin, but doubt he's there.
Here is one that I am sure we can poke holes in but these are all just for fun.

We swap our #24 to the Falcons for the #39 and #44 in round two. The draft value says #24 is worth 800 and #39 and #44 is 970. I say baloney.

#28 Michael Griffen S-Texas, Special Teams talent as well and a decent sized safety with speed. Might not be there at #28.

#39 Marcus McCauley CB -Fresno St. Most pure talent of any CB in the draft but had a bad senior year as did Eugene Wilson and the Pats still went with him. Big and fast and loves to hit. Lets hope we get the 05 version.

#44 Lamarr Woodley DE/LB-Michigan.Stud. Versatility that BB/SP crave. Willie M #2 ?

#91 Sabby Piscatelli SS-Oregon St. A lot of thread stars hate this guy. Please just look at his tapes. He's actually very good and big and fast. Sorry guys, he didn't go to the Florida schools like the "U" or Gatorville, but he is actually from Florida. Does that count?

#127 Chris Henry RB- Might not last but a valiant attempt in round 4 (Booker as the back up choice?)

#171 Courtney Taylor WR-Auburn. Insurance for 2008 with size

#180- Chris Denman OT-Fresno St. Stated to be the most underrated OT in the draft. Can play left or right OT.

#202-Joe Newton TE -Oregon St. -The annual Pats TE pick up. Very productive can catch and block. We have some now that do either. He might be the most complete TE on the roster if we draft him.

#208-Desmond Bishop MLB. His hobbies are pitching guards to one side or the other. Really! I Love it! A true Ted Johnson replacement with attitude. 6' 2" and 243.

#209-Yusama Young-CB for Kent State. Very fast and Very productive. Good size. Has been interviewed by our boys. Good small school pic.

#247-Walter Thomas-NT Central Miss.CC. Anybody 6'4" and 365 that can run a 4.9 in the 40 works for me! (Jared Z. QB-Boise St. How tough is this kid and fast and smart. He would be my alternate choice).

O.K. Torch me for this.

DW Toys

. . . snip . . .

O.K. Torch me for this.

DW Toys

Not bad, not bad at all. Of course, here's the real question: who would you dump to make room for all those players? :)

Not bad, not bad at all. Of course, here's the real question: who would you dump to make room for all those players? :)
Cousin,
I have thought about this. I agree, but then again what did the Cowboys or Dolphins or Steelers do in their heyday. I guess you have a couple of directions. Move up a high as you can with your non-comp pics?
I personally think I would trade some choices to pick up Briggs who by the way, can play ILB AND who would gladly join the Pats to start at ILB. Just dream of that rotation! CB we don't need no stinkin CB's with those dudes rushing the QB!
My other Cousins on their thread here say....blaspheme! They really hurt your feelings sometime and they always seem to know more than you do....or is it just me. I wish I had their knowledge. If they knew where I lived they would egg my house.
Or I guess you could package up some pics for 2008. But I think these picks supplant the roster.See below.

O.K. let's begin:

#28 Michael Griffen S-Texas. Starts with Rodney day one. Artrell or Andrews would be out. Trade Wilson is an option although he might be a CB in 07.

#39 Marcus McCauley CB -Fresno St. Starts as #2 CB with Hobbs as nickel. Or if Assante Goes he's number 2 after Hobbs and Wilson or Young play nickel. Jacksons not ready (PUP?), Scot is replaceable and who knows on Assante.

#44 Lamarr Woodley DE/LB-Michigan. In the OLB rotation taking the place of Mays or more than likely Woods, his Michigan teamate on the roster.

#91 Sabby Piscatelli SS-Oregon St. See the Griffen explanation. He would move up in front of Sanders and be back up to Harrison in my book but some Thread experts will tell you.....Oh No! Sanders must have dirty pictures on those guys. He is third string material. Dexter Reid quality type dude.

#127 Chris Henry RB- We dropped Patrick Pass and picked up Morris. We dropped Dillion and pick up....Henry?

#171 Courtney Taylor WR-Auburn. Insurance for 2008 with size. If Brown retires and Jackson goes pup, and if he plays better in camp than Kelvin or Bam he is the sixth WR.

#180- Chris Denman OT-Fresno St. We should think about trading O'Callahan or Kaczur and he would be an upgrade I believe, thats if you consider a trade coming back through. He's probably not better or worse than them, but we can get something for one of the others..

#202-Joe Newton TE -Oregon St. -Perhaps Mills. Perhaps he can beat out K. Brady? Then again, Watson usually misses some games.

#208-Desmond Bishop MLB. See Woodley, then include Aleaxander as a possible drop.

#209-Yusama Young-CB. If Gay and Assante go, this kid could be in the rotation. Better option than Scott and Jackson if he's PUP.

#247-Walter Thomas-NT Takes Marquis Hills place or Santonio Thomas or Smith could be a gonners. Places behind Vince at NT for a few series per game. Could be the next Pat Thomas, (or Smith type)

Alternate #7 OR FA-Jared Z. QB-Boise St.Camp arm and takes Vinnies place if he shows anything.

DW Toys

OK, how about this one:

#24 TRADE to Arizona for #38, #105 and a 2008 #2 (Arizona takes OT Joe Staley)

#28 David Harris, LB, Michigan

#38 Josh Wilson, CB, Maryland

#83 via TRADE from Carolina (which has a ton of holes) for #91 and #127, Josh Gattis, S, Wake Forest

#105 Paul Soliai, DT, Utah

#171 Anthony Waters, LB, Clemson

#180 Laurent Robinson, WR, Illinois State

#202 Jeff Rowe, QB, Nevada

#208 Scott Stephenson, C, Iowa State

#209 Will Herring, S/OLB, Auburn

#247 Matt Gutierrez, QB, Idaho State

To me, that does for the defense exactly what the 2006 draft was designed to do for the offense. (And no, the two QBs aren't a misktake. 10 rookies aren't going to make this team, so I'm happy to let two intriguing longshots duke it out for the #3 QB slot.)

New Version, same trades. (I still like the other two versions, as well)

** NE trades Asante Samuel to the Titans for 19th overall **
** NE trades 24th overall to Tampa Bay for 35th and 64th overall **

1.19: Darrelle Revis
1.28: David Harris
2.3: LaMarr Woodley
2.32: Eric Weddle
3.28: Lorenzo Booker or Brandon Jackson
4.28: Piscitelli or Wendling
5(comp): DeAndre Jackson or Usama Young (climbing)
6.6: Chris Davis
6.28: Mike Otto
6(comp): Walter Thomas
6(comp): Jared Zabransky
7(comp): BPA

UDFA: Madison Miller

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question, any of you been looking at Brandon Harrison SS Stanford?

I'm trying to figure out if he could fit NE's defense. It seems he could be a middle day 2 guy. (6'1.7" 227lbs, 40 time: 4.56-4.60, 23 reps at 225, )

Scouting:
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/nflcombineprofile.php?pyid=15483
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?id=10758&draftyear=2007
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/s/brandonharrison.html

Highlight Video

Love the talent you assembled, but personally I can't think of any draft that includes trading away our #1 CB as "ideal"!

Oh, what the heck:

#24 Darrelle Revis CB

#28 Trade to Tampa for #64 and 2nd and fourth rounders in 2008

#64 David Harris ILB

#91 Antonio Johnson DE/DT

#105 Sabby Piscatelli SS

#171 Anthony Waters ILB

#180 Jeff Rowe QB

#202 CJ Wilson FS

#208 Quentin Echols NT

#209 Kyle Caldwell OLB

#247 Reggie Merriweather RB

Maybe something like that. Give players a chance to knock off the low guys on the totem pole that is the 53-man roster. Waters and Caldwell can be PUPed.

#209 Kyle Caldwell OLB
Waters and Caldwell can be PUPed.
Are you pupping Caldwell for any specific injury or is this a booboo PUP while he learns terminology and practices coverage drills?

New Version, same trades. (I still like the other two versions, as well)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question, any of you been looking at Brandon Harrison SS Stanford?

I'm trying to figure out if he could fit NE's defense. It seems he could be a middle day 2 guy. (6'1.7" 227lbs, 40 time: 4.56-4.60, 23 reps at 225, )

Scouting:
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/nflcombineprofile.php?pyid=15483
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?id=10758&draftyear=2007
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/s/brandonharrison.html

Highlight Video

Cousin,
I would be thrilled with your choices. A couple are metza-metz IMO but many more great, that metza. #6 with Davis kind of thought there might be a better WR out there line the kid from Lane.
Good job on this Mock sir!
DW Toys

trade Asante and K. Faulk to the Packersfor their first and second picks
let Gay go to the Jets

GB's first, Marshawn Lynch, would take over as third down back, and would form a formidable 1-2 punch with Maroney

I totally disagree here. I think taht Lynch is going to be a bust because of the way his legs flail out when he runs. I think it will make him much easier to tackle and knock off balance.

I thougth your drafts were good. 2 quality players at LB and CB/S each. That's a good draft right there.

Someone else (Box) had Bradley and Wilson in the 1st. don't know why it would be necessary to reach like that...especially as this is a "dream" draft.

People claimed it was a reach for the Seahawks to take Tatupu in the middle of the 2nd round in 2005. They also thought that the Pats reached for Mankins in 2005. Neither is the case.

If the Pats feel that Bradley and Wilson are 1st round talent, then the Pats will take them in the 1st round. One of the things that many of us (myself included) get caught up in is the draft rankings put up by sites like NFLDraftCountdown, NFLDraftScout, and Mel Kiper. The fact is that the Patriots don't use those sites. Nor do they subscribe to Ourlads, Scouts.Inc or Blesto. The fact is that the Pats rate players themselves. And we really have no way of knowing where the Pats feel a player is worth drafting until he's actually drafted.

We swap our #24 to the Falcons for the #39 and #44 in round two. The draft value says #24 is worth 800 and #39 and #44 is 970. I say baloney.

#28 Michael Griffen S-Texas, Special Teams talent as well and a decent sized safety with speed. Might not be there at #28.

#39 Marcus McCauley CB -Fresno St. Most pure talent of any CB in the draft but had a bad senior year as did Eugene Wilson and the Pats still went with him. Big and fast and loves to hit. Lets hope we get the 05 version.

#44 Lamarr Woodley DE/LB-Michigan.Stud. Versatility that BB/SP crave. Willie M #2 ?

#91 Sabby Piscatelli SS-Oregon St. A lot of thread stars hate this guy. Please just look at his tapes. He's actually very good and big and fast. Sorry guys, he didn't go to the Florida schools like the "U" or Gatorville, but he is actually from Florida. Does that count?

#127 Chris Henry RB- Might not last but a valiant attempt in round 4 (Booker as the back up choice?)

#171 Courtney Taylor WR-Auburn. Insurance for 2008 with size

#180- Chris Denman OT-Fresno St. Stated to be the most underrated OT in the draft. Can play left or right OT.

#202-Joe Newton TE -Oregon St. -The annual Pats TE pick up. Very productive can catch and block. We have some now that do either. He might be the most complete TE on the roster if we draft him.

#208-Desmond Bishop MLB. His hobbies are pitching guards to one side or the other. Really! I Love it! A true Ted Johnson replacement with attitude. 6' 2" and 243.

#209-Yusama Young-CB for Kent State. Very fast and Very productive. Good size. Has been interviewed by our boys. Good small school pic.

#247-Walter Thomas-NT Central Miss.CC. Anybody 6'4" and 365 that can run a 4.9 in the 40 works for me! (Jared Z. QB-Boise St. How tough is this kid and fast and smart. He would be my alternate choice).

O.K. Torch me for this.

DW Toys

Honestly, I don't think you do enough for the ILB position. I don't buy that Woodley can make the transition there, unless its only to be a 2 down run-stopping LB. Desmond Bishop hasn't wowed me at all. Neither has Walter Thomas for that matter. Also, Thomas did NOT run a 4.9 at 365 lbs. He ran a 5.1 and he was at 370 lbs. That being said, he'd probably run a 4.8-4.9 at 350 lbs. Getting him there is the problem.

OK, how about this one:

#24 TRADE to Arizona for #38, #105 and a 2008 #2 (Arizona takes OT Joe Staley)

#28 David Harris, LB, Michigan

#38 Josh Wilson, CB, Maryland

#83 via TRADE from Carolina (which has a ton of holes) for #91 and #127, Josh Gattis, S, Wake Forest

#105 Paul Soliai, DT, Utah

#171 Anthony Waters, LB, Clemson

#180 Laurent Robinson, WR, Illinois State

#202 Jeff Rowe, QB, Nevada

#208 Scott Stephenson, C, Iowa State

#209 Will Herring, S/OLB, Auburn

#247 Matt Gutierrez, QB, Idaho State

To me, that does for the defense exactly what the 2006 draft was designed to do for the offense. (And no, the two QBs aren't a misktake. 10 rookies aren't going to make this team, so I'm happy to let two intriguing longshots duke it out for the #3 QB slot.)

YUCK.

The only picks I like are Herring, Waters and Wilson, though I think is a huge stretch for Waters in the 4th round.

Also, I don't believe that Gattis is worth trading up for. I don't feel he's worth a 3rd rounder. I'd much rather take Wendling and Piscatelli with 91 and 127 than over-pay for Gattis. A guy who lacks the intangibles that Wendling and Piscatelli bring.

Honestly, I don't think you do enough for the ILB position. I don't buy that Woodley can make the transition there, unless its only to be a 2 down run-stopping LB. Desmond Bishop hasn't wowed me at all. Neither has Walter Thomas for that matter. Also, Thomas did NOT run a 4.9 at 365 lbs. He ran a 5.1 and he was at 370 lbs. That being said, he'd probably run a 4.8-4.9 at 350 lbs. Getting him there is the problem.

When did you watch Walter Thomas? The Texas vs The Nation game (where he was dominant at times) or did you watch his JUCO games?

Also, Walter Thomas has run a 4.8/4.9 - 40 time.

Also, I don't believe that Gattis is worth trading up for. I don't feel he's worth a 3rd rounder. I'd much rather take Wendling and Piscatelli with 91 and 127 than over-pay for Gattis. A guy who lacks the intangibles that Wendling and Piscatelli bring.

Ah, you must have missed the run on safeties in the 3rd! Wendling's already gone. ;)

(That trade, which I admit looks kind of ugly, was part of the "realistic" side of this exercise -- simulating a hold-your-nose trade to address a need position when the board starts to thin.)

I hate my ideal draft already!

I hate my ideal draft already!

:p Yeah, barring strange developments, I hate the 2007 draft altogether. There's a very good chance that NOBODY will look worthwhile at 24 or 28. If I can't have...

Revis
Willis
Hall
Carriker
Nelson
Staley
Meachem

...I'll pretty much feel like taking my ball and going home.

Are you pupping Caldwell for any specific injury or is this a booboo PUP while he learns terminology and practices coverage drills?

He had an injury that kept him from participating in the combine, verdad? Since he's unlikely to win a roster spot in August, I don't think it would be a stretch to PUP him due to a lingering condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes